DPF Soot level display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc07

Car
C350cdi & C220cdi
I know some have added an LED that activates when the rear screen or mirror heater are on as a warning that a regen is in progress but by then it is a tad late.
Also on my car at least, it's obvious when it is in regen mode.

Mine blew it's oil seals a while back after getting stuck in a continuous regen cycle for over an hour !

I would like to know how far off a regen I am as well as when it is progress and how much longer is it is likely to take.

What we need is a DPF Soot Level display and I have been trying to figure out how to locate the relevant PID modes, codes and calculation.

It is possible using a simple OBD2 can bus controller and processor to stream and save the OBD2 data - figuring out the calculation that Mercedes use is the hard part !

I have managed to figure the soot level data and this morning it got to 100%, started a regen and slowly went back to zero.
The Turbo and DPF temperature values need testing more as I don't think the calculation is quite correct but near enough for the minute.
The temps fly up during a regen.

I will also add mileage since last regen when I get that one figured out as it generally regens at the same intervals..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803-121644_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210803-121644_Torque.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 42
Similar, I use Torque and as the DPF temperature rises above 450 or so I know it's in regen.
The trouble there is the need to continually monitor, certainly as the mileage since my last known regen approaches 350, as it seems to regen at around 400 miles +.

What would be handy is for a system that could initiate a mileage count as the the DPF hits say 500 (as a steep hill and heavy foot can cause the exhaust temps to rise). If the mileage count reaches say 550 it may cause concern that the system has failed to cause a regen and so need diagnostics before the exhaust blocks.

I wonder if Mr Torque could develop an App for that alone.

It should always trigger a regen when it hits that 100%, then you can see it dropping so you know it started..

No need to keep monitoring - if like now mine shows 3.3% I would not look at it again till the end of the week...

None of the standard PID values work on my ecu - are you using 017C for DPF temp ?

Anything is possible though - a simple colour display connected to a nano and obd canbus controller and you can show what ever you want..

There are standalone DPF apps for VAG and Opel (OPL). The OPL one was the most user friendly as it gives a constant readout on your phone via Bluetooth OBD; you just need to start the App every time you get in. The VAG app only shows data from each time you (your passenger) presses refresh data.
The OPL app shows live DPF fill until a regen is started. Then it shows the starting fill %. Then it shows % regen complete during the regen.
Then it shows DPF fill level achieved after a regen by going back to the live DPF fill % (it doesn't show a continuous reduction in DPF fill % during a regen).

The DPF regen initiates on a target fill %, not mileage. And the regen cycles competes when a lower target DPF fill % is reached, not mileage.
Of course, they correlate with mileage, but I don't think it's mileage triggered.

I have found if you are unlucky enough to be sat in stationary traffic, it races through the regen, and reduces the fill to a higher % (less complete regen). You of course bake the hell out of your engine bay in the process.

Driving at lower revs during a regen also results in quicker regen duration, and a less thorough regen.

If you are able to drive a constant high speed e.g. 70mph with the revs around 2,500+, then the regen takes longer, but you get a more complete regen.

In the examples above in a Vauxhall Insignia, the first example only regened down to 27%, and in the last example, especially if coinciding with a big hill on the motorway, I had the DPF fill level as low as 7% after a regen. A regen would not start on the Insignia until a fill % of 80% was reached, but I can't trust that this correlates with 80% of a truly 'full' DPF.

One final hypothesis. The "100%" reading on the Mercs is, I think, 100% of the 'DPF regen now needed' value and is not DPF 100% full.

Having an app like this would be very useful to me. Good luck with it; I'll watch this thread with interest 👍

None of the standard PID values work on my ecu - are you using 017C for DPF temp ?
Dunno, the (651 DPF) Viano has been off the road since January, it failed MOT at 0.39 thingies.
So I bought a cheap 646 E class, no DPF, that passed the MOT the day before at 1.49 oojah's.

I'm finding the engine a tad complex ,with lots and lots of plastic cr*p, squeezed into a confined engine bay.
T'other priorities meant I've not been able to get around to removing the engine for a better look. The last 2 days have been spent doing that.
If it was legal to put a 646 back in the thing I would do.

Dunno, the (651 DPF) Viano has been off the road since January, it failed MOT at 0.39 thingies.
Sorry, I meant the torque app, PID 017C for the DPF temperature display ?

Sorry, I meant the torque app, PID 017C for the DPF temperature display ?
I'm guessing that the 0107C refers to the temp sensor ID? I don't see (on my phone) where to get that identification of display.
The engine now out of the Viano (cheer, cheer, tonight is Guinness night) so I can't power up the HU in the Viano.

If I understand, yes the Viano shows exhaust temp, but only one.
On a previous Viano it showed 2 , one pre DPF (the Cat) and t'other on the DPF. That was educational watching the temperatures change as the regen started.
It is seeing the exhaust temp go skyward that tells me I'm in regen mode.

I didn't realise that Torque could show soot %, that would be handy as I could just check that occasionally.
Or do I misunderstand?

The torque scan plugin will show the codes for standard dials...get it from playstore and it will add itself to torque

Soot % is one that I added my self, you can display what ever you want if you know the PID detail..

I have a HH OBD, works well with Torque.
Just took it apart and fitted a switch between pin 16 (+12v) and the circuit board, plenty of room in its base and the wiring is easily accessible.

Now I can leave it plugged in - if I remember to switch it off !

I've always left my OBD's plugged in w/o issue, so far.

I have one of these vgate bluetooth adapters for around £13:

If you leave it plugged in, it turns itself off after a while when the ignition is off.
When you get in the car, you just need reach under the dash and press the button in the centre of the adapter to turn it on, and then connect to phone via bluetooth 👍

Last edited:
Probably fine if you use the car all the time - think it's about 90ma or so as Bluetooth will always be on.

Scantool do an OBD that drops to sleep mode when not in use - about 1ma but it's about £60 or so.

Edit, just looked at your next post, I'll have to look into that unit..

Found the DPF temp, thought I also had the mileage sorted, it works and only goes up when driving unlike the DPF % which can rise while stationary. However, unlike my iCarsoft, it drops down during a regen ?
Anyhow, decided this is not needed so removed the display. I now know when I need to find a clear route to let it start/finish a regen.
Just switch it on every few days and check the %, then keep an eye if needed..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210810-110803_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-110803_Torque.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210810-111124_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-111124_Torque.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210810-112217_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-112217_Torque.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20210810-112744_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-112744_Torque.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 26
Help! I am stuck!

I've tried two new OBD2 Bluetooth dongles now and they both connect to my phone but the torque app says that it can't communicate with the ECU. Any ideas guys as I've done hours of googling and tried everything I can think of.

My car is a 2011 c250 CDI and the code reader I have that plugs in works absolutely fine. Just not this Bluetooth and app combo.

In the Torque app settings you've to choose the BT connection device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom