Dpf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porkawa1ker

Hi to everyone and Happy New Year.
A couple of days ago, the engine light came on on my w203 c220 cdi. I took it to an independent garage who diagnosed dpf sensor and dpf filter. They have ordered parts to be fitted tomorrow .
However, the mechanic reset the engine light and said the car will be okay but the fault will return. I have done approx 300 miles in a couple of days, mostly motorway and the symptoms have not returned; engine light, no kick down. I know the hoses to be okay.
My question is, based on experience will this fault return or has the reset and a blast down the motorway solved the dpf problem?
I don't want to mess the mechanic around or get stuck with a recurring fault.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

May seem radical but have you thought about having the dpf removed completely? A lot of places do it, and will do a dpf delete and remap on your ECU. On my 2.0 Ford Focus TDCI, (with EGR delete as well), this gave me a hp hike from the claimed 136 to 175! It still returns 50+mpg when I restrain my right foot!
You'll have a more efficient car with much less to go wrong.

May seem radical but have you thought about having the dpf removed completely? A lot of places do it, and will do a dpf delete and remap on your ECU. On my 2.0 Ford Focus TDCI, (with EGR delete as well), this gave me a hp hike from the claimed 136 to 175! It still returns 50+mpg when I restrain my right foot!
Just out of interest for future reference, which company did you use ?, what did it cost ? Is it a while you wait job ?

Hi to everyone and Happy New Year.
A couple of days ago, the engine light came on on my w203 c220 cdi. I took it to an independent garage who diagnosed dpf sensor and dpf filter. They have ordered parts to be fitted tomorrow .
However, the mechanic reset the engine light and said the car will be okay but the fault will return. I have done approx 300 miles in a couple of days, mostly motorway and the symptoms have not returned; engine light, no kick down. I know the hoses to be okay.
My question is, based on experience will this fault return or has the reset and a blast down the motorway solved the dpf problem?
I don't want to mess the mechanic around or get stuck with a recurring fault.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Your DPF may have cleared itself after you had a blast down the motorway, but sometimes a blast isn't enough. There are many dreaded DPF problems reported in this forum - try doing a DPF search.

But if no light is showing up and engine is behaving normal as in no loss of power or hesitancy, weird engine behavior and noises, then it may be a good idea to keep carrying on as it is - hopefully your DPF is ok.

In my dad's 320 CDI, I have noticed a change in the exhaust note when sitting in the cabin (more noticeable at the back) and this occurs every now and then. Hence, I'm inclined to think that when this occurs, the DPF is going through the regeneration phase.

What year is your W203? As far as I know, DPF is not standard in this model. It may have unfortunately been specified on the car when in for order.

I would also suggest you put a can of DPF cleaner (£10 at euro car parts) and take the car for another spin (maybe 30 minutes) and do this every 1-3 months, depending on your driving (city or long runs). This remedy should keep your DPF happy and problem free.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. The car is a 2004.
I have added a Dpf cleaner. £9.99 worth a punt but I'm not convinced. I will leave it as it is for the moment and try and inform the mechanic that it's all okay for the moment. The car is due a B service in 2000 miles so I will ask for Star check. That's if it can detect if the Dpf is nearly full or its status prior to reaching its capacity.

DPF is now a mandated item for the MOT. If it's not there and the car should have one, it will fail. Same as a cat.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

I've read and heard stories of people have the DPF casing "gutted" of its inards, but MOT testers tapping the case to hear if it is hollow.

That said, if as has been suggested, the DPF wasn't standard but an option, you might get away with it.:dk:

Don't want to be a scare monger, just passing on info so you don't end up in a sticky spot later on.

I've considered DPF delete on my Golf, but haven't due to this reason. I've considered just popping it back on for MOT, but to remove the regen function you need the car mapped, which in turn may not like having the DPF back on for MOT... :dk:

I do 82 miles a day and touch wood at 112k the DPF is all good... If I did less miles I wouldn't have a DPF car, or even a diesel tbh.

Any further info or clarification in this area would be great, should anyone know more.

I wouldn't of thought a 2004 car would have a DPF, I'm sure someone else can confirm this.
If it did have a DPF & it was blocked, wouldn't it have a DPF light that shows up & not the Engine Light ?

I wouldn't of thought a 2004 car would have a DPF, I'm sure someone else can confirm this.
If it did have a DPF & it was blocked, wouldn't it have a DPF light that shows up & not the Engine Light ?

I have a 2006 e class to which doesnt have a dpf fitted as standard even my data states no dpf so I too would be surprised to see one fitted to a 2004 car

A 2004 C220 CDI does not have a DPF as standard. However, as the OP had said it does have a DPF, then it was specified as an option.

About the light, I'm not sure if there is a DPF light. My dad has a 320 CDI that has a DPF. I have been through the owners manual briefly but couldn't find anything about a DPF light. Maybe its just the engine management light

DPF is now a mandated item for the MOT. If it's not there and the car should have one, it will fail. Same as a cat.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

I've read and heard stories of people have the DPF casing "gutted" of its inards, but MOT testers tapping the case to hear if it is hollow.

That said, if as has been suggested, the DPF wasn't standard but an option, you might get away with it.:dk:

Don't want to be a scare monger, just passing on info so you don't end up in a sticky spot later on.

I've considered DPF delete on my Golf, but haven't due to this reason. I've considered just popping it back on for MOT, but to remove the regen function you need the car mapped, which in turn may not like having the DPF back on for MOT... :dk:

I do 82 miles a day and touch wood at 112k the DPF is all good... If I did less miles I wouldn't have a DPF car, or even a diesel tbh.

Any further info or clarification in this area would be great, should anyone know more.

Oh F**k. My trusty Ford passed an MOT in 2014, but perhaps it's time to get rid. There must be thousands of people in this position by now?! Long live petrol!

1. If the DPF was optional on the OP's car, then it can be removed and the MOT tester will be none the wiser.

2. I am told that regular use of Premium Diesel will eliminate DPF issues even on cars that do not get Motorway use.

I regularly use Shell V-Power on my Diesel car and had no DPF issues (to the extent that a single sample is anything to go by...)

markjay said:
1. If the DPF was optional on the OP's car, then it can be removed and the MOT tester will be none the wiser. 2. I am told that regular use of Premium Diesel will eliminate DPF issues even on cars that do not get Motorway use. I regularly use Shell V-Power on my Diesel car and had no DPF issues (to the extent that a single sample is anything to go by...)

Lol.
I reckon he'll be fine too. Touch wood.

I have to confess to using asda diesel as it's the cheapest anywhere by at least 2.2p. And it's self service only so you don't have to wait for people who decide they have to buy half the shop, but have to have a really good look at everything first...
I'm sure the car would be better on a premium fuel, but 400+ miles a week dictate cheap is best.

2. I am told that regular use of Premium Diesel will eliminate DPF issues even on cars that do not get Motorway use.

I regularly use Shell V-Power on my Diesel car and had no DPF issues (to the extent that a single sample is anything to go by...)
A guy in work has a Lexus IS Diesel, he had DPF issues, He uses ASDA for fuel but puts Redex in every fill up, 4 bottles from Costco £15, also he puts a DPF cleaner in twice a year, £10 Halfords.
He hasn't had DPF issues since, he only does about 6k miles a year.

Aletank said:
A guy in work has a Lexus IS Diesel, he had DPF issues, He uses ASDA for fuel but puts Redex in every fill up, 4 bottles from Costco £15, also he puts a DPF cleaner in twice a year, £10 Halfords. He hasn't had DPF issues since, he only does about 6k miles a year.
Interesting.
I think low mileage short journeys are what ruin dpfs.

£65 a year on additives, assuming 500 miles on a tank, 12 fill ups a year, 3x£15 and 2x£10.

Another 5p/l on a premium fuel, say 55l tank, £2.75 each fill up, 12 fill ups would be another £33 a year.
I wonder if a premium fuel would also eradicate his dpf problems as the additives do?
Might even get another mpg or 2.

Each bottle of Redex does 4 tank fulls, so the pack of 4 would do 16 tanks.
Its costing him under £35 a year on additives, probably the same as premium fuel.

I used to use Redex before moving to Premium fuels.

It does work out cheaper, but adding the correct quantity every time you fill up the tank is time consuming and inaccurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom