DPF's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I posted this quite some time ago :confused: -- however this makes an interesting read and discusses most of the issues /risks involved Any - Who's had their DPF removed? | Motoring discussion | Back Room Forum | Honest John

In terms of the power station issue------ emissions will depend on the nature of the electrical power generation ranging from tidal/wind power through nuclear to gas to coal. In theory it might be easier to control /legislate/ monitor emissions at a small number of large sources of pollution than many thousands of individual small ones?:dk:

this is purely from my experience and may be complete BS … I never really paid any attention to all the pdf talk as it never applied to me, my cars were all too old so it didn't matter.
sadly I purchased a new mk7 golf diesel with a pdf and not knowing about it found out that it could well be a horror story in the making…
just recently as I normally do this time of year I started adding my usual 1/2 pint of petrol to a full tank of diesel (50L) and since then regens have not been noticed! is there any connection? could the small amount of petrol be enough to raise the combustion temp enough to combust more diesel particulate, I don't know?
Ive always done this in the winter months since first getting a diesel car, an old motor mechanic advised it to stop the diesel waxing in colder temps and that bit has always worked, its now looking like it could sort another problem out too! what you all think?

Modern diesel fuel is blended with additives to cope with seasonal variations so waxing shouldn't be a problem in winter. Personally I would never add petrol to diesel used in a modern engine in any quantity. Why not contact a major fuel co. Technical advice centre?

If we had -20 degree weather I might think about putting petrol in to stop it waxing, but when we're at 5-10 degrees C it seems extremely pointless.

I know in Austria that the companies there blend the winter diesel to prevent waxing all the way down to -40 deg C

Read a report today that there has been A rise in diesel powered cars breaking down with the cause suspected to the inclusion of increased amounts of biofuels required to meet EU regulations. Apparently causes a build up of a thick gel in the engine with blocked filters. This is before winter takes a hold.

So glad I had mine removed! Corrupt Government can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned, dpf or no dpf the atmosphere will still be taking in the soot at the end of the day!

How is that? When the dpf regenerates what is it regenerating ? And where is it going? There is no advantage to having a dpf , that is a fact.

Last edited:
How is that? When the dpf regenerates what is it regenerating ? And where is it going? There is no advantage to having a dpf , that is a fact.

Your ignorance is disturbing.
Next you'll be quoting Jeremy Clarkson as a source of technical info.
Please post back when the MOT tester throws the book at you and you need a new DPF.

A modern merc Diesel engine emitting is nothing compared to the hundreds of buses that are spitting out death on a daily basis In my city..ridiculous

lol don't believe the hype surrounding Mot failing

A modern merc Diesel engine emitting is nothing compared to the hundreds of buses that are spitting out death on a daily basis In my city..ridiculous

If there's 50 people on a bus and all 50 decide to drive their own cars then you'll have 50 cars worth of emissions...no one needs to work out which is worse.

Last edited:
lol don't believe the hype surrounding Mot failing

If it is stated as being part of the test procedure then it cannot be "hype", it is a fact the the prescence of a DPF will be checked and testing stations will quickly get wise to those who have had them removed.

You repeatedly state they are of no benefit but your posts also clearly show that you do not understand how they work.

If there's 50 people on a bus and all 50 decide to drive their own cars then you'll have 50 cars worth of emissions...no one needs to work out which is worse.

Round my way though there will be one guy in his Mercedes and ten buses queuing for the bus stop to pick up the same pensioner.

I dont go on buses very often but when I have been on one it has been empty.

As a motorcyclist I get to filter through traffic and often get to the point it clears and guess what? Very often it is a bus causing the hold ups for hundreds of cars behind it. (a largely empty bus too)

This is backed up completely whenever there is a bus strike. Guess what - less traffic not more every time. :wallbash:

Buses should be banned in many parts of London as we simply don't have the road network for them.

DSM10000 said:
If it is stated as being part of the test procedure then it cannot be "hype", it is a fact the the prescence of a DPF will be checked and testing stations will quickly get wise to those who have had them removed. You repeatedly state they are of no benefit but your posts also clearly show that you do not understand how they work.

I do know how they work that's why I had it removed a while ago, I'll happily put it back in but I ain't paying a penny, an when it messes up the car I ain't paying a penny.. It's on the government or mb :big thumbs up!

I feel like a naughty school boy being told off my teachers! Haha : p

I do know how they work that's why I had it removed a while ago, I'll happily put it back in but I ain't paying a penny, an when it messes up the car I ain't paying a penny.. It's on the government or mb :big thumbs up!

Well act like a child ......................

You choice to have it removed, your cost if you find the MOT tester refuses to pass your car next time so no use bleating about it beng someone else's responsibility:D

Last edited:
Buses should be banned in many parts of London as we simply don't have the road network for them.

If that happened imagine the improvement to traffic flow due to two lanes being usable instead of one.

However, what about mobility for those without cars who currently rely on buses? Boris Bikes! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom