Dr Leather cleaner - too slippy after cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
After seeing a lot of positive comments about Dr Leather cleaner, I thought I would give it a try:

I've just sprayed it sparingly on to a clean micro fibre cloth, and wiped round the car, paying particular attention to the high touch areas. I used a dry cloth to buff off any minor wetness left on the leather after cleaning. The grub removed has been very good.

However, I also cleaned my recently repainted leather steering wheel, and the finish is noticeably more slippery than it was previously after the repainting. Am I doing something wrong? I prefer as Matt a steering wheel as possible for improved control.

For the steering wheel, should I wipe down after with distilled water and another clean microfiber to remove any traces of the Dr Leather product?

Adding @Alex225
who seems to have used this a lot

Last edited:
I recon thats the silicone in it .I only use Autoglym Leather Cleaner and Conditioner ..and thats the same,, i find its better to get in and out of the seats

@optimusprime It states it is silicon free
'Being silicone-free, it ensures a non-slippery and non-shiny finish to the leather surface'

@MrGreedy If you have recently repainted your steering wheel then it is likely you have buffed off the surface with the cleaning which is why it is now shiny. Did you use a Matt paint to start with? - something like this Angelus Leather Paint Flat Black

The steering wheel was done by a pro guy who does leather repairs and repainting for Merc dealers in the local area. I don't know what he used, but I presume it was of appropriate quality. It was deffo flat matt finish after painting.

The seats are fine; it's just the noticeable difference on the fresh painted steering wheel.

Maybe it's now 'normal'.

Dr leather wipes followed by a microfibre cloth used to be my go to.. Nice matt finish

^^^^^^ ditto, not slippery at all on my seats. Also use on my sofas.
I never use anything on the steering wheel but a damp cloth.

Perhaps worth a call to the guy who did it. Seems likely that there’s something specific to the finish on the wheel, if the rest of the cabin stayed matte after application.

Perhaps worth a call to the guy who did it. Seems likely that there’s something specific to the finish on the wheel, if the rest of the cabin stayed matte after application.
The finish is as Matt as the rest of the cabin, it's just the feel is more slippery than it was prior to the cleaning and application.

I'm just thinking there must have been some everso slight paint roughness from thr painting process, and the first clean has smoothed that down and so feels slightly different. It's not that the wheel is slippery; it's just not as ever so slightly rough as it was before.

Sorry for my slow reply.

That's an odd one on the steering wheel. There's no silicone in Dr Leather sprays to my knowledge as they are literally just cleaners, no conditioners. The only thing I've found with steering wheels is that they can feel sticky after using a leather cleaner. I did some reading and found that it can be where it's not cleaning the dirt off entirely and that a more thorough clean is needed on steering wheels. Even something like Chemical Guys Nonsense might be worth a shout as it's a mild APC but safe on leather etc.

Hard to be 100% if it's repainted as there might be some other chemicals involved from repainting it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom