Drag race with some of the best AMG cars...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nico2014

Car
W204 C220 CDI sport, W204 C350 CDI Sport, W212 E350 CDI Sport and Now E63 AMG 6.3 AMG PP
Hi everyone,

Just seen this youtube video doing a drag race with all current AMG cars - interesting to see how they perform at the start and finish line. I won't say more, but was impressed with the A45amg... Video just released by Matt from carwow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-HAJ9x70HE

Proper accent...

This shows what a weapon the W213 will be.

Last edited:
Nice video.

Proves you just cant beat 4WD off the line. The GT and S65 must have been doing about 90 by the time they caught up!

Proper accent...

This shows what a weapon the W213 will be.

You are absolutely right. This new e63 will embarrass some fast cars... all 4 wheel tractions doing 3.4s from 0 to 60mph and with the option to carry 4 passengers plus driver, that is really impressive!

Last edited:
Brilliant link, cheers.

I enjoyed watching that, thank you for sharing.

The A45 and GLE63 whizzed off the line.

Wonder if they used launch control or "manual".........

RR

AWD is good for launch and that's about it, I much prefer the drama of having to actually learn to drive different RWD and their characteristics, let's hope the manufacturers still give us proper drivers a choice in the future...

In straight line drag race like this, AWD would inflict higher power losses. Make the runway longer and AWD cars will be left behind unless very high performance.

Hi,
Explains why we rarely lose a traffic lights drag race in our ML63 AMG - providing we put it in Sport mode and turn off the traction control (to stop it bogging down if we get any sort of wheel spin)
Cheers
Steve

In straight line drag race like this, AWD would inflict higher power losses. Make the runway longer and AWD cars will be left behind unless very high performance.

RWD cars are definitely better suited for VMax runs on airfields, because greater transmission losses will make a difference at triple digit speeds. On the road though, would you really notice the difference between AWD and RWD?

RWD cars are definitely better suited for VMax runs on airfields, because greater transmission losses will make a difference at triple digit speeds. On the road though, would you really notice the difference between AWD and RWD?

Not really unless you treat the road like a race track. Many folks complain about loss of traction but in all honesty, how often do you see other cars spinning tyres? Only when the driver is acting erratically and is taking off at the lights. Sensible driving should be no different AWD v. RWD.

If you have "low to medium" levels of power (whatever that means) 4WD will be slower off the line, because the traction on all 4 wheels is unlikely to be broken and the engine will drop out of the power band.

In a RWD car (or even a wrong-wheel-drive car, if you insist) the spinning wheels allow the engine to stay on the cam and give a better getaway.

Beyond a certain amount of power, you have to go 4WD, because you'll just vaporise the tyres otherwise.

There's a reason why the Bugatti has 4WD....

I saw this last night and wasn't surprised with the results. The A45 is a weapon of the line and in real life around city streets, where small sprints are only possible I bet it's no less rapid than some supercars for those but, it's doing nothing more than other small 4WD cars have been doing for years. I remember when the Evo IIX & IX were fresh, they'd would and still can win short point-point sprints and are easily juiced to 400hp/400tq.

I used to drool over cars like that a few years ago, but then I got into RWD and never looked back. I'd like to see the same race again from a 30mph roll for example, as I'd expect the RWD cars to run away after only a small jump from the 4WD cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom