Dragon Naturally Speaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
Anyone use/used this? Does it work? I tried the IBM offering years ago and it was a waste of money.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks folks.

It still hasn't moved on much since IBM Dragon Dictate.

Save your money if I were you.

Not used Dragon but Vista has voice recognition built in. I've used it, quite successfully, but it's annoying for anyone around you!

Not used Dragon but Vista has voice recognition built in. I've used it, quite successfully, but it's annoying for anyone around you!
Ah....I have Vista Ultimate....but havn't noticed this function....any idea where it's buried?

Like you I tried IBM several years ago and did not have much success, I tried Dragon about 2 years ago....I found it of some use and would probably have stuck with it except my computer crashed and I had problems reloading it so did not bother! Anyway, my impression then was that it was of limited use...my wife did a study on Dragon on behalf of her work and came to the same conclusion....it may have improved again by now though....

We are forced to buy a copy every few months for some exec that's read about it in some in-flight magazine or something.

It has never proved useful long term for anyone.

Its built in to XP (control panel - Speech) as well as vista - both are just a gimmick really. (quite fun to secretly enable it and sit back and watch people freak out as their PC starts typing all by itself)

Last edited:
We are forced to buy a copy every few months for some exec that's read about it in some in-flight magazine or something.

It has never proved useful long term for anyone.

Its built in to XP (control panel - Speech) as well as vista - both are just a gimmick really. (quite fun to secretly enable it and sit back and watch people freak out as their PC starts typing all by itself)

My ex had it and I wasn't that impressed with it, she seemed happy though, but it always seemed flakey and just not good enough to be more than a gimmick like you said.

D.

I've used the built-in XP functionality a few times when I've had to prepare nores for a presentation that someone else is giving on my behalf. Not too bad - combined with a grammer / spell check it's much faster than me trying to transcribe what I'm saying!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom