Drain blocked again! Rods or Jet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Rods are cheap and may fix it - I'd give it a go first.

However, an independent dynorod type guy should give it a thorough jetting, clearing what may be causing to repeat blockage, for about £80 and you stay clean.

Cheers. I've been quoted three times that hence the obsession to DIY. I guess the hose doubles as an extension and that would also solve one of the annoyances with my jet wash.

Rods will clear any blockage, generally quicker than jetting.

I would be surprised if any domestic jetwash attachment can clear any blockage.

Just need one of these suits now along with an oxygen fed mask.

image-3589110533.jpg

for once dm, in this statement you are incorrect

we have a 200ft run to the utility's chamber, this started backing up a year after we moved in.

initially two sets of rods and a large drill were employed, which pulled nappies and gravel out.

then the local drain co jetted the drains, which resulted in rusty water and paper waste bubbling up from two unknown and grown over intercept chambers.

finally they got their gulper in, by christ that sucked some compacted sh*t out!

stays clear now, and for £300 all in, most relieved.

Before you spend any money give your water company a call.

They came out to us with the **** wagon and cleared he drains from the road for free, bear in mind that we are 70 metres from the road. Great service.

I feel your pain. I have had drain problems for years. My house is on a large Avenue, opposite a side Avenue with a silght slope towards me. Every time we have a torrential downpour the water pressure in the sewer from the road opposite forces sewerage to backup down my drive.

I have relied on a trusty set of drain rods to unblock what is forced down my drain. As mentioned a domestic Karcher will not touch a serious blockage. Only once did I have to call the professionals and their Jet had a spinning ball attachment on the end which would actually cut a hole through a blockage.
The water company blamed the problem on the amount of front gardens that have been block paved, creating excess surface water, and the increased use of wet wipes! Apparently even the bio degradable ones take months to break down, and people are happily flushing them.

One fact I could not believe was that the main sewer running down my road, which is a large wide Avenue, fed into by six smaller side roads is only NINE INCHES in diameter despite serving hundreds of homes!

Dont jet if the pipes are victorian clay or older, its too powerful and will wash out the mortar and cause long term problems.

A change in regs mean the water companies have taken over responsibility for
drains now.

You need to watch out for tree roots getting into the drains.

Thames water contractor cut ours out under the path behind our house.

Nil problem since and all done at nil cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom