Draining petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Athey

Car
C63amg
Just been quoted £130 to have approx 18l of stale petrol from my tank. Is there an easy way to do this on the c63?
Car going into garage mon so have to do this weekend and put in fresh fuel

How long has the petrol been in there? You may just need to brim it and then go on a few long runs to use it up.

In the past I would have siphoned it out but when I needed a few litres for the bike and tried a syphon tube in my W204 there is something blocking the filler tube. You could try perhaps with a very narrow tube.

How stale is the 18L that it wouldn't be made usable by filling up with fresh fuel. I expect the £130 is as much to do with disposal costs as the amount of work involved.

Car has been stood in garage for 18 months. I fired it up a couple of weeks ago and it fired first time.

If it fired up ok just stick 30lt in and a bottle of red stuff, give it a good run, all will be well.

18 months is quite a while and I can understand why you might be concerned but if you have fired it up then then you have cleared out whatever was in the fuel line (which you would of not removed by draining the tank anyway) . Me ? I would just fill the car up with the best fuel and drive it. and top it up a few more times every time the fuel gauge moved to 3/4 full .

Which takes no time at all in a C63 ;)

Car has been stood in garage for 18 months. I fired it up a couple of weeks ago and it fired first time.
Then it's fine. It's the volatile components evaporating that are required most at cold start that make fuel go stale. Modern day fuel tanks are very good at preserving fuel. I have petrol from December 2019 (taken from the laid up smart a few months ago) firing up a strimmer and a V8.

thanks. would injector cleaner be better just in case theres any gum buildup in the fuel lines due to it being stood

Just said, red stuff 🙄

was confused for a mo thinking redex was different stuff

got a lot riding on putting the car back on the road, and just want things to go smoothly

Top it up at the first opportunity with Tesco Momentum (which is what my smart had in it - it also fired up on it) and there'll be enough detergent in it.
Focus on other things - sticking brakes, thermostat, etc.

funds are running low. paying 1k to put it in garage then another 700 or so for a service b. then 330 to tax it. spent 3k on parts so its an expensive time

its always had v power in it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom