Draining the torque coverter on a 722.6 box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
Planning to change the ATF on my brother's S203 this weekend, and going to empty/flush the TC as well. Few questions...

- when you disconnect the cooler feed pipe from the TC, how much force does the oil come out at (from the TC) - ie do I need to put a funnel or pipe up to the hole to catch the oil, or is a drain pan underneath sufficient?

- anyone know what the torque rating is for the banjo bolt on the oil cooler pipe?

- any reason NOT to use Febi ATF oil (approved to MB 236.14) which is far cheaper from ECP, compared to the MB fluid?

Thanks-in-advance

1. Not a huge amount of force. A bucket, or measuring jug would be a better idea than a pan though, as it does spit etc.

2. WIS says 5Nm then 90 Degrees, but I would just use common sense on the tightness.

3. No problem using febi oil - Its most likely the same oil as MB, the bottle is the same.

Be careful. It came out like hell on my w203. Don't know if yours is same box but I'd seek making up a banjo and piece of old pipe next time. Also didn't allow her to run for the suggested time. As soon as fresh atf started to appear I shut her off.

I used atf from Smith & Allen. Great firm to deal with. Used them for years.

Just to close the thread, did the ATF change today and held-up a large funnel over the TC hole-it did indeed spurt out, but the funnel caught it all and also allowed me to drain it in to bottle at the same time so I could measure how much fluid had been pumped out. After three flushes of the TC the fluid went from thick black to opaque red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom