Dreaded rapid flashing indicators after locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baldsparky

Car
S320
Guys,
Havent had my Merc long S320 2000 year/model.
It appears I have an intermittent issue which I believe relates to a bad Alarm Horn.
When I lock the doors using the remote, the indicators flash rapidly after a couple of minutes.
Sometimes they do this as soon as I lock the doors.
And sometimes they flash aprox three times and then all is well.
If the Alarm horn is starting to go bad, is it possible to remove a fuse from the fuseboard as a temporary fix. Or will I need to remove the inner left wheel arch cover, gain access and unplug the unit until I purchase a new one.
Many thanks for any advice.
Also dont think its such a good idea that this warning system cant be disabled or doesnt time out.
Could leave a car parked overnight with a flat battery.

The system will time out.

Rapid flashing normally indicates the alarm battery is flat.

Thanks Diesal, am I correct in thinking the rechargable batteries are sealed into the Alarm Horn thus requiring replacement of the full unit.
And is it true a temporary fix is to disconnect the unit itself
Or can the same thing be done by removing a particuler fuse in one of the fuse boxes.
Thanks again.

Hi yes if you remove the plug from the alarm siren and tape up the ends you will be ok until you can get a new siren.I got a new one for my SL350 2003 from MB for about £100 and got a pal to fit it for me.

Rapid flashing after locking

Hi Dieselman, I've just read this post and I have the same problem I think. My car is a 270cdi clk 2003. Could you tell me where this alarm battery is located on my car so I can check it out. Approximately how long will the indicators flash before they time out? ( I don't want to risk a flat battery :doh:)

Cheers

Last edited:
My understanding is that if you remove the alarm fuse, then you will deprive the alarm system of a power supply, however, because the alarm siren has its own internal power supply, by way of its internal batteries, it can still think for itself and may decide to tell the cars ECU to flash the lights, as it is under attack, by you, because you have taking the alarm fuse out.

A healthy alarm will sound off for about 3 minutes and then rearm itself until the next time it’s triggered.
Because that alarm is not well, you don’t know what it will do, if may flash the lights once only tonight or it could flash some more during the night, it all depends how much power is left in the siren batteries and what kind of condition the alarm circuit board is in.

You could try removing the alarm fuse to see what happens, the only sure way is to unplug the siren.

See… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/86238-indicators-fast-flashing-no-apparent-reason.html

This will show you why your alarm is not working properly, see… Alarm / Siren Issues : Goes off for no reason/Kills Battery FIX DIY.. - MBWorld.org Forums

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom