Dreaded SBC pump issue on SL55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dddrrift

Car
SL55 AMG & M3
Recently bought an sl55 amg, and just signed up to the forum!
I plan to keep it for a few years, its 2005 with 51,000 miles, full dealer history from new.

I have been searching online and have a read quite a bit about the SBC pump failures and was wondering if someone can shed more light on my issue.
My pump makes a loud humming noise for maybe 5's noticeably when opening the door after unlock, is this a sign thats its on its way out?
Or if not what the hell is the noise and can i fix it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

The noise is the pump readying the system. It wakes up as soon as the door is opened.

There was a dampening modification to early units, maybe check with the dealer to see if this has been done?

Even then they still make a noise, it's quite normal.

thanks for the fast replies, put my mind at ease somewhat.

I shall look into the damper kit, thanks

Same noise with mine , a little annoying tbh
I was thinking the same thing do I need to
get ready for a new one !

it sounds like one of those small compressors you plug into your cig lighter!

anyone have the part number for the in line damper?

thanks

dddrrift said:
it sounds like one of those small compressors you plug into your cig lighter!

anyone have the part number for the in line damper?

thanks

Let me know how you get on please .

I would leave well alone.

Look at it like your car is telling you how pleased it is to see you again......you could have a two ways conversation perhaps?

Mic

My E55k has always done it. Surprised me at first. It's nothing to worry about.

Find it quite reassuring really...

I took my E320 cdi 2003 to Watford MB in 2012 as someone said MB will replace pump up to 9yrs for free. They said its normal and sound was present when new! I would return MB with that sound if i buy it new!
Four weeks later SBC pump failure went on just when buyer was testing the car. What a bummer!

my old fella has an sl55 amg with 6000 miles on it, it doesnt make any noise, which is why i assumed something was wrong, il try the damper kit and if that doesnt cure it il head to the stealer :(

my old fella has an sl55 amg with 6000 miles on it, it doesnt make any noise, which is why i assumed something was wrong, il try the damper kit and if that doesnt cure it il head to the stealer :(

If it has a full dealer history it'll have been done as a matter of course, it wasn't a recall and you didn't have to ask for it.

If you Google the mod you can find before and after pics, it's obvious when you know what to look for.

It has never been silent, if it is you really want to worry, the mod just made it quieter, it goes on roughly every fourth press and almost certainly when you use SBC-Hold.

Is is possible your old fellas is an older one, pre them putting SBC on?

Yes, you can hear it inside the cabin but I can't believe anyone could find it annoying, it's just the car saying "I'm ready to save your life if you need me". It's no more obtrusive than the climate control doing it business switching vents around as and when.

dddrrift said:
will do... i assume yours sounds the same?

Yes exactly the same ;)

When I mentioned the noise to the dealer
I bought it from he told me it was the air matic
Pump !!

If it has a full dealer history it'll have been done as a matter of course, it wasn't a recall and you didn't have to ask for it.

If you Google the mod you can find before and after pics, it's obvious when you know what to look for.

It has never been silent, if it is you really want to worry, the mod just made it quieter, it goes on roughly every fourth press and almost certainly when you use SBC-Hold.

Is is possible your old fellas is an older one, pre them putting SBC on?

Yes, you can hear it inside the cabin but I can't believe anyone could find it annoying, it's just the car saying "I'm ready to save your life if you need me". It's no more obtrusive than the climate control doing it business switching vents around as and when.

his is 2003, mine is 2005, neither have the mod done, his is silent and mine makes a racket! il maybe give the dealer a call and see as its not in the historyas being replaced ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom