Dreaded Visit Workshop Error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kay187

Car
S-class 320 CDI
Hi all,

I have the dreaded red 'Batt Symbol - Visit Workshop' error on my dashboard since past day or so. I have read up on all the older threads and am aware of the likely causes but just had a few questions which I couldn't get answers on:

1) Where is the best place to get an aux battery from apart from the dealers? I've looked at ECP/GSF but they don't seem to have a listing. There are a few on eBay but shipping will take a while. I am based in Glasgow.

2) Is there any way of disabling the error on the dash? It would flash up now and again but now it remains permanently on with loud beeping, its driving me nuts! The car starts fine and runs no probs though some of the convenience features get disabled after a few mins then the beeping starts.

I've still to measure the voltage on both batteries which I will do later tonight.

Just to also add my serpentine belt recently broke and was replaced along with the idle pulley about 2 weeks, car working fine after it was done. Also the main battery was replaced 18months ago.

Car is a W211 '04 E320CDI.

Cheers.

Thanks seen that thread, seems to be a different symptom though related to the battery.

I checked the voltage on the dashboard with car turned off and it seems to be reporting 11.3V which defo indicates issue with main battery. My multimeter given up on me so could not measure with car turned on and the error won't let me check on the dash.

My understanding is that for batteries the main dealers are as good a place as any.

Mic

It could be an issue with the battery control unit too.

There is a good test on the Star for battery faults.

If it's not a sealed battery it may be worth checking the water (electrolyte) level in the cells and topping up with distilled water, if necessary.

My understanding is that for batteries the main dealers are as good a place as any.

Mic

True but they are pricey compared to ECP etc!

It could be an issue with the battery control unit too.

There is a good test on the Star for battery faults.

Is there a way of testing this without Star? With the amount of potential issues the electronics can have I think I may invest in a Star system...

If it's not a sealed battery it may be worth checking the water (electrolyte) level in the cells and topping up with distilled water, if necessary.

Well the battery is a AGM type so not sure if you can top these up?

True but they are pricey compared to ECP etc!

Is there a way of testing this without Star? With the amount of potential issues the electronics can have I think I may invest in a Star system...

Well the battery is a AGM type so not sure if you can top these up?

You get what you pay for with batteries.

No.

No you cant

Whilst I agree that you get what you pay for with batteries, I don't believe you get anything better by paying even more for it through your dealer. MB don't make batteries and unless your dealer will do you a sizable discount (most I can get now is 10% at a push) then you're better off going to a motor factors for the same or similar product.
We all get a huge discount at EPC and I thought they sell the little aux battery for the 211?

I agree dealer prices can be overinflated at time so buying from places like ECP for same spec batteries makes sense.

Yeh I managed to find the battery labeled as memory battery on their site so yeh they do them.

The car is frozen solid so going to try jump starting in the morning to check voltage on both batteries then decide what to do.

Ok main battery shows 11.7v when it wouldn't start so stuck a charging pack on it which charges all the way to 12.7v but battery doesn't go up any further. Front battery remains on 12.1v.

Car not starting with power pack so gonna try a jump start now.

Car started and main battery voltage drops right down to 10.6v! Turning it off it goes up a bit to 11v so means I've got a drain somewhere. Is this Defo an alternator issue den?

I've had a similar problem for maybe the past two years with the convenience features disabled message on the dash. I use the rest function in the cold weather when I leave the car for a while and use the rest heater to keep the blower on slow keeping the car warm. Noticed that when I returned the red light was flashing, never noticed it before, stays on solid when first pressed.

Never really found out if this is the Aux battery or the main one & they are both originals (2004 car) so not a bad lifespan really. I'll try and get a reading off them both later if I can & post here.

Car always starts with no issues, not noticed it turning over slower etc so I guess the aux one should be changed first working on the principal that this is the cheaper one & if it solves the problem I will maybe get another year or so out of the big bugger in the boot....

Aux battery is about £70 from Euro Parts (no discount allowed on those items the website tells me) and for either a sealed or gel type bike battery on ebay starting about £36 so probably will go that route.

If running you only have 10v then you have a charging issue.

It's as simple as that

OK went out and checked the battery voltage after the car had sat overnight & not been started.

Front Aux battery 12.74
Rear battery 12.10

It's due for a service soon so I'll get the rear one checked and the controller firmware as well.

With the drop in temperature today I've seen the convenience warning on the dash about three times, all short journeys so that has not helped either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom