Dream realised!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrbilbs

Car
E300 Hybrid
Hi All
Just got my first MB - kind of by accident. After receiving an advert for a Toyota X and looking to change my car to a electric and/or hybrid I came to the conclusion that it was a way too small car, I did however want to change my car to something more economical and then while looking for something I came across a E300 Hybrid for sale that I fell in love with.

Ok its a 2013 but it was love at first sight and I know MB are not the most economical for parts/servicing/ insurance etc but its the first car I have ever actually liked because I actually have got something for driving pleasure.

My previous cars have all been 'cheap' family cars - Fiats, Zafira etc (so the cost of the insurance was a shock LOL).

I have had it for 2 weeks now and the only scary thing for me is that I can easily be doing 90mh on the local bypass without even realising - Im thankful for the limiter/cruise control!

In the two weeks I have owned it Im getting 40mpg which is miles more than the Zafira was giving me - I have not filled up yet in 2 weeks and will still probably have another couple of days worth of commute in the tank.

As it stands all is good - maybe I will change my tune if anything goes wrong and I am left with a MB bill but I have taken out an extended warranty to try and be a little bit safer.

Yup so at the moment I am one happy bunny and I am also happy to have found this site.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi & welcome!

I was in the same position as you, coming from a 10 year old Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. The MB is (unsurprisingly) in a completely different league!

Hi and welcome

Congratulations on your new car, glad you like it.
Not wanting to scare you, but the extended warranty is a good call with the E300 hybrid.
Enjoy your new car.

WELCOME. Forum members have had varying experiences with this model, Some good some bad. Problem seems to be that when something goes wrong with the hybrid powertrain few MB garages have the experience to sort them and parts can be very expensive! You had the right idea in getting an extended warranty but there may be restrictions as the cost ceiling of any repair [ please read the warranty small print] Hopefully you may never need it.
Mercedes E300- hybrid problem

WELCOME. Forum members have had varying experiences with this model, Some good some bad. Problem seems to be that when something goes wrong with the hybrid powertrain few MB garages have the experience to sort them and parts can be very expensive! You had the right idea in getting an extended warranty but there may be restrictions as the cost ceiling of any repair [ please read the warranty small print] Hopefully you may never need it.
Mercedes E300- hybrid problem

EEEK! Thanks for that I think :) LOL I mainly took out the warranty for the battery - it states...
Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Batteries. Batteries for hybrid and purely electric vehicles are covered for sudden electrical failure, as long as the battery pack is not under lease.

Having had a good scour of the small print they will be getting an email as the small print does state...
The most we will pay in total repair costs is the Repair Limit as detailed on your schedule.
The only problem is that there is no actual figure stated in the entire paperwork as to what this actually is!!! Grrr!

I love the car but feeling a bit stressed now :( I do appreciate the honesty though - maybe I should have researched a bit better rather than falling in love with the bloody thing! LOL

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I may be over pessimistic about the chances of failure :) but I can only quote from the experience of other early MB hybrid owners on the forum. :( I believe the only other car that shared this "mild hybrid" technology of shared aircon and battery cooling at the time was the W221 S400 S CLASS ? Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W221) - Wikipedia The chances of Mercedes themselves "stepping up" in the event of powertrain/battery failure appears to diminish with age/mileage and particularly if the car hasn't got a full MB service history.:oops: They are impressive cars when they are working correctly so I can understand your attraction. ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I may be over pessimistic about the chances of failure :) but I can only quote from the experience of other early MB hybrid owners on the forum. :( I believe the only other car that shared this "mild hybrid" technology of shared aircon and battery cooling at the time was the W221 S400 S CLASS ? Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W221) - Wikipedia The chances of Mercedes themselves "stepping up" in the event of powertrain/battery failure appears to diminish with age/mileage and particularly if the car hasn't got a full MB service history.:oops: They are impressive cars when they are working correctly so I can understand your attraction. ;)

Some slightly good news I contacted the company who we have the warranty with and repairs are covered up to the full cost of the car - so feel slightly better.

Some slightly good news I contacted the company who we have the warranty with and repairs are covered up to the full cost of the car - so feel slightly better.
No offence but
1. Do you have that in writing?
2. Does the "full cost of the car" refer to the purchase price or its current market value at any point in the future?
3. Repair totals covered "accumulatively" may still have ceilings on individual repairs. e.g. A car costing £5000 might be good for 10 repairs of £500 but if a repair cost £1400 you might find you are liable for £900! [ nominal £500 limit on any individual repair] its vital to see the warranty conditions/small print on paper.
Extended car warranty guide 2019

Last edited:
No offence but
1. Do you have that in writing?
2. Does the "full cost of the car" refer to the purchase price or its current market value at any point in the future?
3. Repair totals covered "accumulatively" may still have ceilings on individual repairs. e.g. A car costing £5000 might be good for 10 repairs of £500 but if a repair cost £1400 you might find you are liable for £900! [ nominal £500 limit on any individual repair] its vital to see the warranty conditions/small print on paper.

Hi Grober
Im happy to say on the first two questions that I do have it in writing and that it is the full cost of the car (she has stated in the email the figure I bought it for) not the market value. The last point does not state accumulatively it states...

The Warranty is limited to one Mechanical or Electrical breakdown of each warranted part on only one occasion during each 12 month period.

I think it says of each warranted part as obviously there are some parts not under warranty (eg clutch, brake pads etc). Not sure how I feel about it but I think I would rather have the warranty than not have one - what do you guys think?

To be honest, life is too short to worry about something that may never happen.
You have your new car, and you have a warranty - just enjoy it.

Hi All
Just got my first MB - kind of by accident. After receiving an advert for a Toyota X and looking to change my car to a electric and/or hybrid I came to the conclusion that it was a way too small car, I did however want to change my car to something more economical and then while looking for something I came across a E300 Hybrid for sale that I fell in love with.

Ok its a 2013 but it was love at first sight and I know MB are not the most economical for parts/servicing/ insurance etc but its the first car I have ever actually liked because I actually have got something for driving pleasure.

My previous cars have all been 'cheap' family cars - Fiats, Zafira etc (so the cost of the insurance was a shock LOL).

I have had it for 2 weeks now and the only scary thing for me is that I can easily be doing 90mh on the local bypass without even realising - Im thankful for the limiter/cruise control!

In the two weeks I have owned it Im getting 40mpg which is miles more than the Zafira was giving me - I have not filled up yet in 2 weeks and will still probably have another couple of days worth of commute in the tank.

As it stands all is good - maybe I will change my tune if anything goes wrong and I am left with a MB bill but I have taken out an extended warranty to try and be a little bit safer.

Yup so at the moment I am one happy bunny and I am also happy to have found this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom