Drifting to the left....and not politically..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad4Coupes

Car
Mercedes-Benz C209 CLK200 K
Hi all,
Noticed a week or so ago that the CLK was drifting very slightly to the left on level and straight road and there's a small degree of pull on the steering wheel. (C209 200K)
Checked the tyre pressure and balancing. Both spot on. I've had a look at all the bushes on that side and everything appears fine, no small splits or badly corroded bolts. Track rod is tight as are the ball joints.
Going to change the pads later as I have new MB ones to replace the squealing cheapies and while it's in the air I will check the drop link and ARB bushes.
Slowly working my way through all the possibilities. Shock top mounts, busted spring (think I would have noticed) to check, and then it's geo I guess.
Anyone have any other suggestions before I get the moths out of my wallet :dk:

Cheers in advance.

What tyres do you have? Do they have a ^^ pattern?

Is it the camber of the road making the car pull to the left???

Try it on a flat road (dual carriage way, motorway), or another car on the same stretch of the road where you have a problem.

Michelin Primacy HP 205/55 R16 V rated on all corners. Changed fronts to rears and back again to rule out tyre issues. Same problem persists so its suspension rather than tyre/wheel issue.

Noticed a week or so ago that the CLK was drifting very slightly to the left on level and straight road and there's a small degree of pull on the steering wheel.

:)

Thanks Markjay. May try that if all else fails.
Going to have a really good look at it later to see if there is anything I have missed. Will let you know if its "solved"

First make sure your tire pressure is as supposted to be. If that is ok and you already swaped tires then you probadly might have problem with caster settings but that needs adjusting on machine

Michelin Primacy HP 205/55 R16 V rated on all corners. Changed fronts to rears and back again to rule out tyre issues. Same problem persists so its suspension rather than tyre/wheel issue.

Have you had the alignment checked?

Have you had the alignment checked?

Not yet Brian, but I'm seriously starting to think its the geometry and maybe one to many bumps over Cambridges cr@p roads.

+1 on a visit to Wheels in Motion.

As you've looked at the obvious other causes it's almost certainly just following the road camber, but a geometry check will confirm that. If it's straight and true then WIM can offset the geometry left to right to have the car run neutrally on a normally cambered road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom