Drill bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baxlin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skoda Octavia and JZR 3 wheeler
Any engineers on here?

I’m fed up of useless drill bits, and with birthday in mind, I’m looking to start almost from scratch.

What should I buy, I see HSS, Carbon steel, Cobalt steel, titanium tipped, etc, which to buy? Cobalt steel bits are advertised for use on stainless steel, does this mean they’d be the best all rounders?

With tools especially, I know it’s 'buy cheap, buy twice', but there’s such a range of prices for each type, any informed advice would be appreciated!

(Btw, I have a drill sharpener, used with limited success and even less patience!)

Thanks in advance
Malcolm

Ah it depends on what you intend to drill!

https://www.ukdrills.com/drill-bit-finder/drilling/steel

To a greater or lesser extent, drill bits tend to consumable items.

For DIY metal drilling, stub drill bits are often better proposition: not looking to drill thick material usually and less chance of the damn thing snapping on you

Depends on what you drill and how. Here's what works for me:

I drill a lot of stainless and use CT-90 cutting fluid every single time.

I drill small holes fast and big holes (>6mm) slow.

Cobalt coated drill bits seem to last the longest as I haven't bought another set in about 4 years.

Go with a well known brand (Bosch, DeWalt, Snap-On etc).

People tend to run their drill too fast...also add some lubricant to keep the tip cool

Have a load of answers gone missing from this thread?
No - it's just that there are two threads from the same OP on the same topic - one here and one in General Discussion.

I have always used Dormer, in a past life i was an engineer.
Depends on what you want them for. I have rather a lot of them. If you are after a particular size i will see if i have one. Zoro UK - Experts in Hand Tools, Power Tools and PPE{groupid}&ptaid=pla-420445948288&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1pblBRDSARIsACfUG11GpCFidItnc7ToOtDLESrzWkHhPvZ_9Ob6aX7Mkh5zMebHB1XURC4aAt_7EALw_wcB

Last edited:
Cool. So I’m not going mad.
No you’re not, it’s me. My apologies, I’ve no idea how I started two threads, I had no intention to do so, and until Dippo pointed it out I didn’t realise I had done!

I’ll post a similar message on the other thread.

My excuse is...... Note the time they were started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom