Drill Sargeant??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wu56Shoozz

MB Enthusiast
You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
Car
MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
So I managed to get dark anthracite trim for my Vito dash. My dash doesn't have mounting holes for the trim pins so...

1/ would you break them off and just use Sikaflex to attach the trim to the dash

OR

2/ Mark and drill holes in the dash to accommodate the locating lugs and use Sikaflex to attach??

Answers please? :dk:

My Dash Looks like this currently..http://www.dynavinstore.com/Productimgs/DVN-MBA-D99/vitostereo.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult without seeing the job, but I guess if the trim has locating lugs, there might originally have been fixings behind to secure them to the dash. Therefore if you didn't have these fixings, the lugs don't serve any meaningful purpose other than location. The other thing is, depending on the number of lugs, it might be very difficult to drill the dash accurately enough and you might have to end up breaking off some of the lugs anyway.

As long as you are confident your method of fixing will hold the trims in place, I think I would cut off the lugs! If you encounter problems, a silicone-type mastic would take up any spaces and give a secure fixing.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. I opted for lugless and Sikaflex in the end. The dash appears to be make up of some kind of "Honeycomb" effect. I marked and drilled the first hole and didn't like what I found which forced me down the lugless route. I've got the trim sitting nice and level now just to secure it..

Glad it worked out for you. I'm sure it will be an improvement over the standard dash.

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom