Drilled Discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
I was sort of half contemplating modding the front brakes on the lady which you see below but I thought it may be a mod too far (expertise and safety wise). I was going to go for the set up which is the MB branded calipers and drilled/grooved discs ala SLK350 and C220 CDi.

I'm still keen, in a restrained way, and I was thinking maybe just change the discs for drilled and slotted and maybe some competion pads?'. The point of this post is, if I go for the same diameter disc (bear in mind the calipers stay) do you lose any brake effect through having holes in the disc, that is having slightly less area for the pads to work on?

Portzy.

In short - No.

The drilled holes on the discs are there to help cool the pads/disc and also to help some of the dust escape(not a major part of it). Therefore this only really comes into play under heavy brake use as your normal day to day driving shouldn't ( ;) ) be heating them up that much.

The grooves are there to stop the pads from glazing over and becoming less efficient. Again this only really happens under heavy use.

Hope this helps.

roj said:
In short - No.

The drilled holes on the discs are there to help cool the pads/disc and also to help some of the dust escape(not a major part of it). Therefore this only really comes into play under heavy brake use as your normal day to day driving shouldn't ( ;) ) be heating them up that much.

The grooves are there to stop the pads from glazing over and becoming less efficient. Again this only really happens under heavy use.

Hope this helps.

Certainly does :D . I'll make some serious equiries come Wednesday
Cheers.
Portzy.

portzy said:
Certainly does :D . I'll make some serious equiries come Wednesday
Cheers.
Portzy.

No probs. Are you thinking about Mercedes parts or aftermarket? Not sure if its still on but German Swedish French Car Parts were doing a deal on Brembo discs a wee while back.

Does changing discs etc effect Brake assyst?

Not sure at all about the brake assist :confused: . I'd imagine that if the brakes are working more effectively then the assist wouldn't need to work with so much force. Don't take my word for it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom