Drink drive limit to be lowered under new plans.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
The drink-drive limit could be lowered so that one drink is enough to put motorists over the limit, under plans to be considered by the new Transport Secretary.

Among the other controversial measures that could be introduced are giving the police more power to randomly stop drivers, an even lower limit for learner drivers and lifetime bans for repeat offenders and those considered “high risk.”

Read the full article. LINK.

At what time during the day after will you be safely under the new limit?

Giving police the power to stop people without any reason.....mmmm....not too sure about that one..

The drink-drive limit could be lowered so that one drink is enough to put motorists over the limit, under plans to be considered by the new Transport Secretary.

Among the other controversial measures that could be introduced are giving the police more power to randomly stop drivers, an even lower limit for learner drivers and lifetime bans for repeat offenders and those considered “high risk.”

I can't see the lower limits making any practical difference.

Random stops in themselves are a misnomer as random is actually useless - and they should be more honest about about the term 'random' really meaning 'discretionary'.

TBH - being really cynical - if people are spending time on this right now then it shows we have too many people in HMG.

Since when did the police need a real reason to 'stop' anyone?

I can't see the lower limits making any practical difference.

Random stops in themselves are a misnomer as random is actually useless - and they should be more honest about about the term 'random' really meaning 'discretionary'.

TBH - being really cynical - if people are spending time on this right now then it shows we have too many people in HMG.

I agree......a completely pointless exercise that could undermine still further the already strained relationship between society and our law enforcers. We should be working as one but politicians are determined to drive a wedge between the police and the motorist, which is most of us.
Not to mention the licenced trade.

Mic

Whilst it doesn't really matter to me if they even say 'no alcohol at all', whenever I watch these cops shows on Freeview - the ones they stop and test are always over the existing limit so I am not sure what lowering the limit would do?

Even when they've just scraped through - it seems their driving is just crap to start with as a thimble of alcohol can't make that much difference.

Last edited:
Why not just have zero tolerance on drink driving and then there is no 'just under' or 'just over' the limit, don't have a drink if you know you are going to be driving.

Maybe it is because I'm a different generation, but I just don't see the point of having just one or two drinks and then driving home or wherever.

Good move should be lowered to the same as most of Europe 80mg is far too high for safe driving so a lower limit would be good for everyone. A zero limit is not practical as the Swedes found out :D

The Police don't need a reason to stop you they are entitled to stop anyone at their discretion

^ I agree with this (sweetpea)

No drink and driving whatever the reason.

Also being stopped for 'checks' etc I have NO Problem with this either.

I have nothing to hide, all insured, taxed an mot'd etc.

so what's wrong with that, helps everyone at the end of the day as I'm sure they 'catch' lots of people just 'checking' stuff..

One day the police were looked up upon and respected its seems things have changed now.

Its a shame

^ I agree with this (sweetpea)

No drink and driving whatever the reason.

Also being stopped for 'checks' etc I have NO Problem with this either.

I have nothing to hide, all insured, taxed an mot'd etc.

so what's wrong with that, helps everyone at the end of the day as I'm sure they 'catch' lots of people just 'checking' stuff..

One day the police were looked up upon and respected its seems things have changed now.

Its a shame

Totally agree with you and Sweetpea and it really is easy if you are drinking then don't drive, If you are driving don't drink.

Unfortunately you can't have a zero limit or tolerance as then you could not eat food cooked in alcohol (no it doesn't burn off) and too many food convert into alcohol naturally so the chances of blowing a zero are probably about as good as getting zero on a roulette wheel

A zero limit is not practical as the Swedes found out :D
Is this because some people naturally produce a tiny amount of alcohol in their stomachs without having consumed any? Zero tolerance would prevent people with this condition from driving so there is always an accepted limit.

Totally agree. In Russia the limit is zero and at least you know where you stand. Never been a problem for me or anyone else I know in Russia. If you want to drive, you drink nothing - period.

Is this because some people naturally produce a tiny amount of alcohol in their stomachs without having consumed any? Zero tolerance would prevent people with this condition from driving so there is always an accepted limit.

Small amounts of alcohol can occur in fruit juice and very ripe fruits.

The problem with 'zero' is that it is absolute. You're in effect saying any measurable presence of alcohol.

The law has to be defined in reasonable terms. If the police can't enforce current limits then they can't enforce a zero limit any better.

Personally I'd be worrying about drugs. If I was looking at practical enforcement then I'd be looking at a sobriety test in addition to a breathalyser. Fail either and you're liable to a blood test.

should be lowered to the same as most of Europe
- but most of Europe tends to have tiered levels, not just the low one, and the lower levels don't generally result in a ban.
This is often quoted as a reason for lowering levels, but it's a bit misleading.
As an earlier poster suggested, lowering the limit doesn't really achieve anything. When statistics are produced relating to drink driving, they show how many accidents are caused by people being over the limit. Lowering the limit won't change this. What is required is for the existing limit to actually be enforced.

As has been said it can't be zero because we'd all be potential criminals.

Alcohol occurs naturally in so many things we consume.

Zero would be a licence for the authorities to get anybody any time.

- What is required is for the existing limit to actually be enforced.

That would require more traffic officers on the road observing driving behaviour rather than filling in paperwork. They'd maybe be able to get rid of some of the speed cameras at the same time:thumb::devil:

So with a zero limit no more sherry trifle for dessert then :D Perhaps car crushing on conviction for drink driving might focus some offenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom