Drinking at meal times.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Is there a definitive answer as to whether drinking (water-based drinks for example) before, during and or after a meal is a good thing or a bad thing?

I've read conflicting anecdotal Internet posts.

However, and I am not a chemist, but if I have 500ml of Hydrochloric acid, and I pour in 250ml of water, surely that acid wont be as concentrated as before, and as you use HA to digest food, surely that must reduce the efficiency of your digestive system?

Don't know, but you are quite right and I read at least one diet book which said that drinking with meals dilutes the digestive acids and should therefore be avoided. So maybe...

NEVER add water to concentrated acid! The reaction is exothermic and can result in spontaneous boiling of the water and acid splashing....

From a medical journal search...

"Effects of fluids on digestion:" "It is known that the heaviest secretion of enzymes from the pancreas occures one to two hours after a meal and that fluids taken with the meal stimulate gastric secretion for optimal acidity in the stomach and promote enzyme and bicarbonate secretion in the small intestine. This contradicts the seamingly logical notion many people have, that fluids with the meal dilute the enzymes and prevent proper digestion, but the evidence seems quite clear that sufficient fluid with the meal is essential for stimulating gastric, pancreatic and intestinal responses. The liquid should be preferably at room temperature, in the amount of one or two glasses, for optimal intestinal function."

Generally drink wine with food so not in a position to comment.

Sorry

NEVER add water to concentrated acid! The reaction is exothermic and can result in spontaneous boiling of the water and acid splashing....

From a medical journal search...

"Effects of fluids on digestion:" "It is known that the heaviest secretion of enzymes from the pancreas occures one to two hours after a meal and that fluids taken with the meal stimulate gastric secretion for optimal acidity in the stomach and promote enzyme and bicarbonate secretion in the small intestine. This contradicts the seamingly logical notion many people have, that fluids with the meal dilute the enzymes and prevent proper digestion, but the evidence seems quite clear that sufficient fluid with the meal is essential for stimulating gastric, pancreatic and intestinal responses. The liquid should be preferably at room temperature, in the amount of one or two glasses, for optimal intestinal function."

Well, very conclusive.... not much to add :)

I wish it was that easy to decide on the best tyres or the best engine oil.... :D

Is there a definitive answer as to whether drinking (water-based drinks for example) before, during and or after a meal is a good thing or a bad thing?

I've read conflicting anecdotal Internet posts.

However, and I am not a chemist, but if I have 500ml of Hydrochloric acid, and I pour in 250ml of water, surely that acid wont be as concentrated as before, and as you use HA to digest food, surely that must reduce the efficiency of your digestive system?

In the interests of furthering science, I think you should try this for a few days.

Say report back on Friday?

I think this should be resolved once and for all. Plus, we'd all like to know the outcome.

Damn it, I was poised to go through with that experiment as well.

You've heard the term "hypothetical" before, right?

:D

Damn it, I was poised to go through with that experiment as well.

You've heard the term "hypothetical" before, right?

:D

I have but just in case 'little Johnny wanted to try this at home' (having witnessed the disfiguring effects of acid burns) I thought I would warn against it ;)

Last edited:

100% agree - beer or wine should always be taken with a meal - NEVER water; it's too dangerous. :D

My old science teacher taught us a rhyme for this,

When diluting acid do as you oughta,
Add the acid to the water.

I have but just in case 'little Johnny wanted to try this at home' (having witnessed the disfiguring effects of acid burns) I thought I would warn against it ;)

No, it's JohnE because Johnny had gone unfortunately... :p

In actual fact, I add water to hydrochloric acid all the time but I am talking about the acid in my stomach - not concentrate in a beaker!

When starting out on a long journey, is it better to start walking with your right foot or your left?:dk:

My old science teacher taught us a rhyme for this,

When diluting acid do as you oughta,
Add the acid to the water.

Hmm, not much of a way of remembering. I can just see someone in the lab:

"When diluting, do as you oughta, first the acid, then the water"...

Glug, glug, Bang.

When starting out on a long journey, is it better to start walking with your right foot or your left?:dk:

If you believe you should exercise both sides of your body as evenly as possible then it's the left - as it's 50% more likely to take one more step than the right foot on the way to the car where the right foot will get more exercise.:rock:

But how much water is in the food you are eating? I must admit, my parent always told me not to drink water with a meal, the water will fill you up and you will not eat your food, usually followed by a clip round the ear:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom