Drinking every night...Is it a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

***edited***

Last edited:
I think for a lot of people drinking is a direct correlation to the pressure they are under. This statement would be true for me. Normally, I'm not hugely fussed if I do or do not have a drink in the evenings - and I have certain responsibilities such as getting up before 5am to go to work every other week which prevents me.

That said, when I do drink, its usually spirits (whisky) but I actually enjoy drinking it rather than the concept of using it to relieve stress (mmm Balvenie Portwood ;) ). During the last few weeks of uni, I certainly DID get through a few bottles of whisky!

Depends on what type of drunk you get too - are you one to get a bit angry / raised spirits, or do you feel nice and relaxed and a bit happier?

The other thing to consider is what you feel like in the morning - can you be bothered with feeling groggy all the time in work? Long term it might even harm your career even more?

I'd end by saying that by perhaps posting here you are subconsciously telling yourself that something is actually up?

It's good that you're asking yourself this kind of question. (That way if a problem is developing, your mind is already acknowledging it).

The thing to watch out for is if you are depending on it every night.
My advice is that if you think it might be bordering on being a problem, then give it up for a couple of weeks.
(Probably not what you want to hear, but alcohol is dangerous stuff, especially if you're going through a difficult time in life)

Good luck.

Ideally for the liver drinking alcohol every night isn't ideal and even our guidelines on much you can drink everyday is a tad on the high site. I have an occassional beer during the week (once twice a week) but occassionally I go in for a binge sesh in town - but not often.

***edited***

i have a couple of cans a night. I feel it relaxes me nicely and gives my hands something to do as i am a non smoker :D

I dont feel it is a problem but if I start drinking more beer, I would try cut back.

Am I correct in saying it's better to drink your quota gradually rather than have a binge once a week?

My parents both drank every night, but never to excess. Dad gave up after a health scare, but mum still drinks plenty of sherry :)crazy: ) It's never been a problem, they just enjoyed it to relax I guess. I seemed to have rebelled against them...I don't drink at all. I do see plenty around me who do and not in control of it...they don't control their lives.

I have a beer most evenings, either in the pub or at home whilst relaxing.

I think if your drinking to get drunk its an issue but I personally like the taste as I normally drink water all day apart from the morning when I have a tea.

Not sure what Donza's original post was, but its my take on drinking every night

I can stop when I want to, but I do miss the taste after a few days, not the intoxication, so i'll sometimes have the alcohol free stuff

Or maybe I am an alcy :s

On a serious note alcoholism is caused by a chemical defect preventing the body from telling itself its had enough, not by lack of will power or people trying to cover things up, although they may also play a part.

I have a naturally addictive personality, whatever I do I either tend to do to excess or not at all.

I flirted with a drink problem in my younger years but fortunately stopped before it became a major problem. I'm not sure i completely agree with the chemical defect theory (although I'm sure there is an element of truth in that).

I steer clear of spirits and that works for me, fortunately I now hate hangovers with such passion that I know when I've had enough and it's been a while since I made a fool of myself.

Without the edited post, I can only take the subject of this thread in it's literal sense, and assume that (a) you're referring to drinking alcohol, and (b) there is sufficient concern to be posing the question here. With that in mind I would say...

Yes.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

..............I'm not sure i completely agree with the chemical defect theory (although I'm sure there is an element of truth in that)...............
Its a good take on it Mudster, I think the human mind is more complex than our Mercedes', its why I came an engineer and not a doctor

Last edited:
What if you have a drink every morning instead, is that ok? :rolleyes:

Why not Spike

I know when I've been out on a heavy session and im not in work the next day a Weatherspoons english breakfast with a pint is top notch

How loutish!

A close friend of mine has recently started to partake in whisky drinking most nights, to the slight alarm from his wife.

He says he enjoys it. I don't think he's drinking bottles and bottles of the stuff nor do I think he's relying on it, but it's out of character a little, to be so frequent.

I'm a firm believer in not poking my nose in too close with my friends, only being a good mate, but should I be concerned? I don't want to interfere

Drinking every night is not a problem, it depends on what is drunk and how much. I drink most nights because of the activities I am involved in. I play skittles for 3 teams, cribbage for one team, singles cribbage and attend Buffs. All these things take place in pubs or clubs and I usually drink about 3 to 4 pints of beer or lagger and I don't think I have a drinking problem. However, if the habit is half a bottle of whiskey or so a night and the drinking is to try and escape from a difficulty, then you may have a problem, but not too much yet, otherwise you would not have started this topic.

Drinking every night is not a problem, it depends on what is drunk and how much. I drink most nights because of the activities I am involved in. I play skittles for 3 teams, cribbage for one team, singles cribbage and attend Buffs. All these things take place in pubs or clubs and I usually drink about 3 to 4 pints of beer or lagger and I don't think I have a drinking problem. However, if the habit is half a bottle of whiskey or so a night and the drinking is to try and escape from a difficulty, then you may have a problem, but not too much yet, otherwise you would not have started this topic.

Hasn't the government said that drinking that much (I think that equates to more than 10 units in the week) is seriously damaging to your health?

Drinking alcohol to excess most nights is NORMALLY something that lads between late teens and early twenties get up to. As you get older the habit goes. GENERALLY.
Anyone over the age of 20something that regularly indulges to excess has a problem.
What they should do about it is not for me to speculate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom