Drinking every night...Is it a problem?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Donza, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Donza

Donza Hardcore MB Enthusiast

***edited***

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. MangoMan

MangoMan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 W220 S500. 366U Azurite Blue. 264A Saffron Leather. Factory Shell Modification For AMG-Wheels
    I drink Tea every night - no problem.

3. seymansey

seymansey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
    I think for a lot of people drinking is a direct correlation to the pressure they are under. This statement would be true for me. Normally, I'm not hugely fussed if I do or do not have a drink in the evenings - and I have certain responsibilities such as getting up before 5am to go to work every other week which prevents me.

That said, when I do drink, its usually spirits (whisky) but I actually enjoy drinking it rather than the concept of using it to relieve stress (mmm Balvenie Portwood ;) ). During the last few weeks of uni, I certainly DID get through a few bottles of whisky!

Depends on what type of drunk you get too - are you one to get a bit angry / raised spirits, or do you feel nice and relaxed and a bit happier?

The other thing to consider is what you feel like in the morning - can you be bothered with feeling groggy all the time in work? Long term it might even harm your career even more?

I'd end by saying that by perhaps posting here you are subconsciously telling yourself that something is actually up?

4. mr. shr

mr. shr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

It's good that you're asking yourself this kind of question. (That way if a problem is developing, your mind is already acknowledging it).

The thing to watch out for is if you are depending on it every night.
    My advice is that if you think it might be bordering on being a problem, then give it up for a couple of weeks.
    (Probably not what you want to hear, but alcohol is dangerous stuff, especially if you're going through a difficult time in life)

Good luck.

5. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Ideally for the liver drinking alcohol every night isn't ideal and even our guidelines on much you can drink everyday is a tad on the high site. I have an occassional beer during the week (once twice a week) but occassionally I go in for a binge sesh in town - but not often.

6. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    I'm intrigued, what did you edit away?

7. Rose Chap

Rose Chap Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Lexus GS450h
    A guilty conscience perhaps?

8. david55amg

david55amg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 320clk, 2000 model.
    i have a couple of cans a night. I feel it relaxes me nicely and gives my hands something to do as i am a non smoker :D

I dont feel it is a problem but if I start drinking more beer, I would try cut back.

Am I correct in saying it's better to drink your quota gradually rather than have a binge once a week?

9. Gucci

Gucci Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
    My parents both drank every night, but never to excess. Dad gave up after a health scare, but mum still drinks plenty of sherry :)crazy: ) It's never been a problem, they just enjoyed it to relax I guess. I seemed to have rebelled against them...I don't drink at all. I do see plenty around me who do and not in control of it...they don't control their lives.

10. vincenz

vincenz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209 CLK 200K Coupe
    I have a beer most evenings, either in the pub or at home whilst relaxing.

I think if your drinking to get drunk its an issue but I personally like the taste as I normally drink water all day apart from the morning when I have a tea.

Not sure what Donza's original post was, but its my take on drinking every night

I can stop when I want to, but I do miss the taste after a few days, not the intoxication, so i'll sometimes have the alcohol free stuff

Or maybe I am an alcy :s

On a serious note alcoholism is caused by a chemical defect preventing the body from telling itself its had enough, not by lack of will power or people trying to cover things up, although they may also play a part.

11. Mudster

Mudster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    I have a naturally addictive personality, whatever I do I either tend to do to excess or not at all.

I flirted with a drink problem in my younger years but fortunately stopped before it became a major problem. I'm not sure i completely agree with the chemical defect theory (although I'm sure there is an element of truth in that).

I steer clear of spirits and that works for me, fortunately I now hate hangovers with such passion that I know when I've had enough and it's been a while since I made a fool of myself.

12. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Without the edited post, I can only take the subject of this thread in it's literal sense, and assume that (a) you're referring to drinking alcohol, and (b) there is sufficient concern to be posing the question here. With that in mind I would say...

Yes.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

13. vincenz

Car:
    W209 CLK 200K Coupe

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  14. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    What if you have a drink every morning instead, is that ok? :rolleyes:

15. vincenz

Car:
    W209 CLK 200K Coupe
    Why not Spike

I know when I've been out on a heavy session and im not in work the next day a Weatherspoons english breakfast with a pint is top notch

How loutish!

16. Frank O' Phile

Frank O' Phile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    gone

Whisky is more than just a breakfast drink. :rock:

17. robert.saunders

robert.saunders Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E300TD
    A close friend of mine has recently started to partake in whisky drinking most nights, to the slight alarm from his wife.

He says he enjoys it. I don't think he's drinking bottles and bottles of the stuff nor do I think he's relying on it, but it's out of character a little, to be so frequent.

I'm a firm believer in not poking my nose in too close with my friends, only being a good mate, but should I be concerned? I don't want to interfere

18. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B180 CDi W245 in Silver
    Drinking every night is not a problem, it depends on what is drunk and how much. I drink most nights because of the activities I am involved in. I play skittles for 3 teams, cribbage for one team, singles cribbage and attend Buffs. All these things take place in pubs or clubs and I usually drink about 3 to 4 pints of beer or lagger and I don't think I have a drinking problem. However, if the habit is half a bottle of whiskey or so a night and the drinking is to try and escape from a difficulty, then you may have a problem, but not too much yet, otherwise you would not have started this topic.

19. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    Hasn't the government said that drinking that much (I think that equates to more than 10 units in the week) is seriously damaging to your health?

20. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Drinking alcohol to excess most nights is NORMALLY something that lads between late teens and early twenties get up to. As you get older the habit goes. GENERALLY.
    Anyone over the age of 20something that regularly indulges to excess has a problem.
    What they should do about it is not for me to speculate.