Drive belt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomeksK

Car
CLK 320
Hello,

So that's what happened, I was standing after a trip with my engine runing and my dash displayed a warning that alternator failed, well I straight away understood that need to check under the bonnet how's the belt and it was off..it didn't snap or anything,just seems came off, what is your thoughts what could possibly make it happen... some pulleys went loose, alternator jammed,tensioner loosened up (I've done an eye inspection like 2 months ago,everything seemed ok,no wobling nor the belt seemed loose)..what is the guide to start looking for the problem why it came off? if there is any :D I still have to go back tomorrow to pick up the car as I've left it in the middle of nowhere cause of lack of time.

Checking that the tensioner hasn't failed or an idler come off would be my starting point.

Does it still need a right hard tug to pull it into the 'unlocked' / belt change position?

So I've found the issue, tensioner pulley bearing completely destroyed, I know they sell tensioner pulleys separate from the tensioner,but any chance just geting the bearing itself? Asked couple of shops and they don't even sell the pulley separately from the tensioner..spending 80-90 quid just cause of bearing is stupid i think..

There's obviously a tensioner spring in the assembly somewhere which may have lost some "zing" over the years Simplest to renew the entire assembly??

When I replaced the tensioner and the idler bearing on my car, I noticed that both bearings were the same size.

You were very lucky that extensive damage wasn't caused when the belt came off.

It would be wise to replace the tensioner with pulley, idler pulley and maybe even the belt for future peace of mind.

All these parts are available as OEM.

Well the belt must be changed,as it got some damage when it came off,I'll change the idler pulley tho it seems allright and tensioner pulley,will try to leave the old tensioner as it seems pretty in tact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom