Drive shaft velocity explained.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
I found this clip and found it interesting.

[YOUTUBE]gmV4qwLfOMY[/YOUTUBE]

The complexity doesn't end there. There are also forces at 90 degrees to the angles that would cause in the above video arrangement, forces in the direction of the viewing camera. Hence we have torque steer when a shaft is not absolutely horizontal.

Not directly related, but.. on my Alfa Romeo (now long RIP) the gearbox and clutch assembly was at the rear, together with the brake discs, for better weight distribution (rear discs were inboard and not on the hub, to reduce unsprung weight).

This meant the driveshaft was rotating at the engine speed at all times (as opposed to doing so only when in 4th gear).

Combined with 70' Italian build quality, this meant premature wear of the rubber couplings and regular massive vibrations.....

The video clip explains it well.

Not directly related, but.. on my Alfa Romeo (now long RIP) the gearbox and clutch assembly was at the rear, together with the brake discs, for better weight distribution (rear discs were inboard and not on the hub, to reduce unsprung weight).

This meant the driveshaft was rotating at the engine speed at all times (as opposed to doing so only when in 4th gear).

Combined with 70' Italian build quality, this meant premature wear of the rubber couplings and regular massive vibrations.....

The video clip explains it well.

Alfetta?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom