Drive won't eject CD - advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
As above!

The CD drive on our home PC has an audio CD in it which won't eject (it's been there some weeks - the machine also has a DVD 'combo' drive which is fine). The CD isn't "jammed" as it will play happily if you fire up media player, just that I can't get it out.

Tried the various 'eject' options in Explorer etc. (Win XP Pro). There's also a little hole in the front plate of the drive that I vaguely recollect you can poke something into ... tried a piece of wire without any joy.

Any more suggestions? If I take the drive out will that offer any other options?

Thanks in advance :)

Normally the small hole is designed for a paperclip or similar - unless the mechanism is well and truly jammed it should allow you to manually remove the disc - might require you to pull the front with a reasonable tug as you'll be pulling against the gear system as well.

Other than that - it seems you've covered all options so I guess dismantling it would be your last/only resort!

Will

As above the paperclip physically pushes the gears open so you have to give a good push.

Many thanks guys. Used a piece of the biggest diameter piano wire that would go through the hole and after several attempts (much whirring and bumping from inside, and me wiggling the outside of the tray) it eventually opened.

Have a :bannana: each!

The disc in there was ...

Sing mit den Glücksbärchis (sing with the Care Bears) - not one of mine :D

(sing with the Care Bears) - not one of mine
__________________A likely tale.
Glad its sorted

ah, you triggered the 'taste filter' incorporated into some CD/DVD drives - you try and play crap, they swallow the disc :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom