Driven: E300 BlueTec Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It does sound disappointing, but I can't see how the hybrid can return worse figures than a 220cdi as that is what it is, but has the advantage of fully disconnecting the engine when stationery or on battery power, whereas the 220Cdi has a torque converter and permanent connection.

The O/p needs to compare the hybrid to a standard 220Cdi. I suspect driving style plays a part in the figures.

It is based on a 250Cdi and not the 220Cdi. Power is quoted as 204hp from the diesel, and that is the 250Cdi spec.

Hi there
I have had my E class Hybrid for 3 months and have concluded that IF you drive keeping eye on rhs battery charge dial you can often get close to or over 70 mpg! This including lots of up hill down hill driving in and around city of Bath and for the most of the time staying around legal speed limits, no crawling along at 10-25 mph! Note that if you don't keep an eye on this dial then you get around 50 mpg.

To achieve such a high mpg you have to change your driving style so that whenever not going up hill, you pull rhs paddle to turn off Diesel engine. Then you "sail" in electric mode and very lightly touch the accelerator watching battery dial to try and avoid it reaching 12 o'clock as this is when Diesel engine will kick in again.

Also, if you see that due to uphill section you are going to have to restart diesel engine, it is is better to bite the bullet and start the engine and gently accelerate for 3-10 seconds then hold rhs paddle to turn off engine and start to sail again.

It all helps to build up mpg.

The car could really do with varying tone audible warning or more easy to see / larger dial or HUD so you can concentrate on driving and still be aware of when the car is close to having restart diesel. When warned that engine start is imminent all you have to do is again gently easy off the accelerator to keep it in electric mode.

I am now looking to buy my wife a small city car and disappointed to find that despite city cars being a lot smaller and lighter than MB E class Hybrid they all have lower mpg and none are yet fitted with similar 'sailing hybrid' technology.

Given the significant benefits of diesel hybrid even with a relatively small 1km range battery at addition cost of £3k, I think mass market small car manufacturers could easily have their small cars achieve close to 100mpg at a cost of £1-2k.

What do you think?

You definitely need to learn a different style of driving with a hybrid. I've had my Toyota hybrid nearly a year now and if I drive it "normally" I'll be lucky to see 50 mpg. If driven spirited in PWR mode, low 40s is more realistic. However, if I drive it gently, with an eye on the battery/engine indicator, with a lot of urban driving, I have achieved high 60s.

These cars are in their sweet spot in town. Motorway driving doesn't create good results as you drive mostly on the engine with the electric motor helping with acceleration. I'm guessing the E300 Hybrid is the same.

Thanks for that report Stev, it really has got me thinking.

Dieselman said:
Thanks for that report Stev, it really has got me thinking.

Me too. I ordered mine before Easter and my company has yet to confirm it as they're 'renegotiating the discounts with MB'.

I'm trying my best to put it out of my mind but reading these reports just makes me want it even more.

Any fool with a heavy right foot can go fast, I want a different challenge now and like the idea of adapting my style to extract a healthy MPG figure.

Good to know you can also still get 50+ if driven normally too.

Following this with interest as I've been offered a hybrid pre-facelift model with a large discount off of list. Economy is one factor in my decision (I'm in an XC90 now) and RFL another (£475 in the Volvo). The question. I asked was "what's it like in the real world". I'd made an assumption of 55mpg so doesn't look too far out. I have mastered a light foot in three and a half years of my XC90 sojourn.

Last edited:
OK it may loosen up but cars like that are designed for a single purpose

It only has a small battery and the electric motor etc is there for the express purpose of pimping up the results on the farcical "official" EU fuel consumption/CO2 cycle tests.

Variety of reasons for that which are mostly Greenwash related for either the user (tax usually) or the car maker (EU penalties if they do not meet average fuel consumption/CO2 targets across their model range)

On motorway runs all hybrids of this type have nugatory benefits over the equivalent conventional model and have an extra 100kg or so of battery & motor to haul around.

I have done nesrly 5000 in the 7 weeks i have had my E220 CDi (AG, 2012). A fair chunk has been commuting the M1 - so rush hour and some stop start but lots of 70 to 75mph cruising. So far since setting the computer when i fetched it the read out says about 46mpg.

I do have some short journeys - some days across town from the hotel to work, some short trips to shops. On those journeys it struggles to better 33mpg. On an individual long motorway journey the computer can easily say 51 or 52mpg for that journey.

I'm pretty happy with what I get considering it is a big auto estate.

Ian

Update - over the last couple of days now getting a recorded average for each 130 mile journey of in excess of 56mpg - that is mainly M1, in rush hour but taking it steady (70 to 75 mph cruise).

Cant really complain at that for the size of the car...

Ian

Hi there
I have had my E class Hybrid for 3 months and have concluded that IF you drive keeping eye on rhs battery charge dial you can often get close to or over 70 mpg! This including lots of up hill down hill driving in and around city of Bath and for the most of the time staying around legal speed limits, no crawling along at 10-25 mph! Note that if you don't keep an eye on this dial then you get around 50 mpg.

To achieve such a high mpg you have to change your driving style so that whenever not going up hill, you pull rhs paddle to turn off Diesel engine. Then you "sail" in electric mode and very lightly touch the accelerator watching battery dial to try and avoid it reaching 12 o'clock as this is when Diesel engine will kick in again.

Also, if you see that due to uphill section you are going to have to restart diesel engine, it is is better to bite the bullet and start the engine and gently accelerate for 3-10 seconds then hold rhs paddle to turn off engine and start to sail again.

It all helps to build up mpg.

The car could really do with varying tone audible warning or more easy to see / larger dial or HUD so you can concentrate on driving and still be aware of when the car is close to having restart diesel. When warned that engine start is imminent all you have to do is again gently easy off the accelerator to keep it in electric mode.

I am now looking to buy my wife a small city car and disappointed to find that despite city cars being a lot smaller and lighter than MB E class Hybrid they all have lower mpg and none are yet fitted with similar 'sailing hybrid' technology.

Given the significant benefits of diesel hybrid even with a relatively small 1km range battery at addition cost of £3k, I think mass market small car manufacturers could easily have their small cars achieve close to 100mpg at a cost of £1-2k.

What do you think?
How is the fuel economy working out on the E300? I'm a newbee and driving the hybrid since august, currently averaging mid 40's, if very very careful can hit late 50's but nothing like 60's/70's... It was new in Aug, so only 8k miles - sounds like you're doing much better, any thoughts? Do you think I should get it checked out?

I've now done about 9000 miles in my E300H estate, average over the last couple of thousand according to the trip computer is about 43mpg. Driving is largely motorway (maybe 80mph average) plus traffic jams and urban. Much nicer in traffic than a non-hybrid with stop/start. Only nearly run over a few pedestrians, usually while reversing.

Looking just at running costs, for a private buyer it's probably not worth the extra cost of the hybrid (about £3k) for the real-life economy gain (maybe 20%?) over the 250CDi -- but it is nicer to drive, especially in traffic.

For a business user (mine is a company car) the position is very different -- from the company's point of view it gets in under the 130g/km CO2 limit needed to allow offset against tax (our cars must be under this limit, otherwise a free choice), from my point of view the BIK cost is far lower than the E250CDI (which is also over the CO2 limit) or competing diesels like the 520d/525d Touring because the rate is 15% instead of 20%.

Yes it's really gaming the system, all the high-mpg cars using things like mild hybrid technology and stop-start return far lower mpg in real life than the official ratings, a recent study found the official mpg figure could be up to +50% higher than real life.

But to be honest I don't care, I've got a car that's nicer to drive than competing diesels and costs me less :)

I was really keen on getting a new E300H when I read about it...
But, due to the battery gubbins in the floor, it means there is no option of having; airmatic, H/K spkr package or the rear facing child seats, all of which I would have specced on a new car.
I was disappointed, hence going for a used 350CDI now

Interestingly they quote identical 0-60 times in the literature for 250CDI & 300H which have the same engines, even though the H is faster with the extra electric 27bhp. I believe it is because, dependant on charge, this is not consistent, so they are not allowed to claim this.

I have tried a few hybrids recently and have not been impressed with the MPG. The E300h got 44mpg on a long trip. Volvo V60 Hybrid was great but also achieve low 40's mpg. The Volvo felt much nicer to drive than the E300.

I also tried a S350 CDi and it was a great car and achieved 45 mpg.

If your looking to reduce BIK I suggest trying the Ampera it was by far my favourite low emission car. If BIK is not an issue I would get a 350 CDi every time.

I can't see how a Hybrid makes a difference over a long trip. Around town and stop/start traffic should see the advantage though.

I've seen a few reports of 65mpg on this forum by owners that have learnt the tricks to achieving it.

I have tried a few hybrids recently and have not been impressed with the MPG. The E300h got 44mpg on a long trip. Volvo V60 Hybrid was great but also achieve low 40's mpg. The Volvo felt much nicer to drive than the E300.

I also tried a S350 CDi and it was a great car and achieved 45 mpg.

If your looking to reduce BIK I suggest trying the Ampera it was by far my favourite low emission car. If BIK is not an issue I would get a 350 CDi every time.

I'd like to see you get the same amount of clobber into an Ampera that will fit into an E300h estate...

And it's not just reducing BIK to save money, the company policy is that all cars must be within the 130g/km corporation tax relief limit :-(

Last edited:
I was really keen on getting a new E300H when I read about it...
But, due to the battery gubbins in the floor, it means there is no option of having; airmatic, H/K spkr package or the rear facing child seats, all of which I would have specced on a new car.
I was disappointed, hence going for a used 350CDI now

Interestingly they quote identical 0-60 times in the literature for 250CDI & 300H which have the same engines, even though the H is faster with the extra electric 27bhp. I believe it is because, dependant on charge, this is not consistent, so they are not allowed to claim this.

It's nothing to do with inconsistent charge, the 300h is 100kg heavier -- without the electric motor it would be slower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom