Driver killed going wrong way on M23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
By David Williams and Patrick Sawer, Evening Standard
12 August 2004

"A man who drove the wrong way along a motorway died today in a head-on crash which left another person seriously injured and thousands of Gatwick-bound holidaymakers facing long delays.

The motorist was driving a Rover southbound along the northbound carriageway of the M23 at Burstow, near the airport, when he collided with a Honda car. The Rover driver was pronounced dead at the scene of the 3am crash.

A passenger in the Honda was taken to East Surrey Hospital in Redhill with potentially life-threatening injuries. The Honda driver was also injured, though less seriously. The road was cleared of wreckage and reopened by 8am, a Surrey Police spokesman said - but only after thousands of holidaymakers had become caught up in rush-hour mayhem.

The motorway was closed northbound between junctions 8 and 9, causing a huge back-up in traffic for those travelling north to the airport. Those coming from the opposite direction were also affected as they tried to reach Gatwick from the M25, with massive delays on the M23 turn-off to the airport. Commuters had to divert to reach the M25 from the south."

Alas history does not record what fate befell the nodding dog.

I'm glad i bought a Honda as second car..the new Civic.

I think in such accidents i can be more of a case of luck/fate as well as how strong a car is. A head on collission at motorway speeds is mosty fatal.

I can't understand how a slip road can lead you to drive the wrong way onto a motorway....most join from left.

adam1 said:
I can't understand how a slip road can lead you to drive the wrong way onto a motorway....most join from left.

The fatal mistake is made at the roundabout,
if you enter the wrong slip road :eek:
(i.e. the one where the traffic is coming up to the roundabout..obviously at the time there was perhaps no traffic there so the unwitting went down it)

Because of that idiotic rover driver I was late for work. I work at gatwick, and M23 was stationary seeing as they closed it at the airport junction. Crawley was fun that morning, seeing as the entirity of the M23 traffic was dumped on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom