driver window smashed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hasanahmed50

Car
E Class
Hi

today morning 1am, someone tried breaking in our car with significant damage to the window. See pics attached. I am gutted, what's the best way to get this repaired in a short time with or without triggering an insurance claim (wont prefer the insurance route since it creeps up our next quote plus the excesses involved). By short time, I would prefer to get this done asap as the car is used in regular commute, ideally in South Leeds.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20210428-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210428-WA0001.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-20210428-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210428-WA0002.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20210428-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210428-WA0003.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-20210428-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210428-WA0005.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 30
Try contacting a windscreen replacement company such as Autoglass but it will need the door card removing etc to fit new glass

Does your policy not have a glass cover clause? Usually there's only excess but no penalty come renewal time (that was my experience when my wife's car got broken into, anyway).

Also, personally I would only fit genuine glass, not because of any quality concerns, but because with my OCD nature I would be very annoyed about having the odd glass with different etching to the other three.....

Does your policy not have a glass cover clause? Usually there's only excess but no penalty come renewal time (that was my experience when my wife's car got broken into, anyway).
i have the following in the policy:

A compulsory excess of £75 is applicable to all Glass claims (except when the glass is repaired rather than replaced).

Try contacting a windscreen replacement company such as Autoglass but it will need the door card removing etc to fit new glass
autoglass quoted 125, another quoted 110, does it include the tint? the original glass has a factory tint.

I would go down the insurance route as you will only pay once there should be no rise in premium for it they should put the factory tint glass back in
Im sorry to hear about the damage coused but at least you still have your car

I would go down the insurance route as you will only pay once there should be no rise in premium for it they should put the factory tint glass back in
Im sorry to hear about the damage coused but at least you still have your car
would this not be considered an insurance claim and enters my DVLA record? Plus I have the £75 excess anyways and got a 3rd party quotation for £110. What say?

On a personal level I feel for you.

You are being made responsible for the actions of these scumbags. The police won’t be interested. And you will be left wondering why me?

i hope you get it sorted with the minimum of hassle and expense. Good luck.

autoglass quoted 125, another quoted 110, does it include the tint? the original glass has a factory tint.
Ask them.

It shouldn't be classed as an (insurance claim) if you have glass cover which most policy's come with

Daughter had same on her SEAT Ateca recently - it was repaired at our house and they guy looked at me like I was daft when I mentioned removing the door card - he did it all from the top of the door.

She did it through her insurer, £90 excess. Was assured no impact on premium. She then found out her Union (she's a teacher) would have covered the cost in full as it happened at work.

Its not a full claim as such. Glass is covered, all you pay is the excess, does not affect your no claims . Phone your company, they will probably tell you to phone Autoglass to book it in. I actually think you can phone Autoglass with your policy number & they will contact your company.
Someone broke my rear window a few years back. Not a problem getting it fixed with only paying the excess.

Its not a full claim as such. Glass is covered, all you pay is the excess, does not affect your no claims...

^^^^
This.

Also, explain to Autoglass that the window had factory tint. Best give them the old window's part number. You're excess (£75) won't be affected, any additional cost due to the tint etc (I.e if they quoted OE glass but now have to requote for genuine glass) will be absorbed by the insurer.

In the small print on my insurance they say use autoglass £60 excess, no claim on insurance, BUT small print if you don't use them £200 excess to be paid, so read the small print, i have just renewed the insurance and that what they all seem to say now.

In the small print on my insurance they say use autoglass £60 excess, no claim on insurance, BUT small print if you don't use them £200 excess to be paid, so read the small print, i have just renewed the insurance and that what they all seem to say now.
I think its with all policies, they have approved glass people with a small excess, but if you want to use someone else you can, but its always a much bigger excess.

It only counts as a glass claim. Just claim of your insurance, I did it a few years back when some scrote smashed my passenger window. Premium was unaffected the following year although it was noted. This is what insurance is for.

It only counts as a glass claim. Just claim of your insurance, I did it a few years back when some scrote smashed my passenger window. Premium was unaffected the following year although it was noted. This is what insurance is for.
yes, i got in touch with Aviva, this wont sit in a claim, only paid £75 and the rest is covered.

So fixed the glass for £120, but the door is full of glass bits we can hear the noise, the guy who did the glass told me that the bits reach the bottom part of the door and is sealed so unless the whole door is removed, wiring removed, and the glass flipped upside down, the bits cant be pulled out. Adding to the misery, the window trim is damaged which clearly is the use of a utensil (crowbar shaped). Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5376.jpg
    IMG_5376.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
So fixed the glass for £120, but the door is full of glass bits we can hear the noise, the guy who did the glass told me that the bits reach the bottom part of the door and is sealed so unless the whole door is removed, wiring removed, and the glass flipped upside down, the bits cant be pulled out. Adding to the misery, the window trim is damaged which clearly is the use of a utensil (crowbar shaped). Any ideas?
That trim will have to be replaced either off a breaker or new from MB. A local body shop should be able to do that for you if the insurance won't consider it as part of the window claim.

As far as the glass-in-door is concerned, the only way that can be removed is by taking off the door-card and hoovering it out, which I think the repairers should have done as part of the job. I'd take it back to them!

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom