Drivers could face £20 fine for leaving engines running in traffic jams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
Motorists could face £20 spot fines if they leave their engines running while stuck in traffic.
Traffic wardens will be able to issue the penalties - after a warning - in a bid to cut down on pollution.

Mr Watters added: 'The legislation allowing councils to impose such fines has been on the statute books for a few years, but few drivers are aware of it.'

I did recently, but what happen if I can't restart the car?:rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ine-leaving-engines-running-traffic-jams.html

Last edited:
this goverment are nailing the lid tighter on their own coffin,what is a traffic jam,10,20,50,100 cars,most emmisions are produced on startup,the list goes on and on

Watch out when a traffic warden walks suspiciously along a traffic jam. Don't forget to switch off the engine! :eek:

Don't ya just love the Dailey Mail :D

Twoddle!

In Germany it's been mandatory to switch off engines, when stationary for longer than short durations, for years.
A petrol engine burns approximately one gallon per hour when left idling. This is a sensible emission control facility.

Before anyone starts on the Government bashing (as I know they will). There is a mandate to reduce Co2 emissions, this is one way to assist that. Any Government will have to implement similar controls.
How it will be implemented is anyones guess as it will be very difficult to police.

Disclaimer:
Once again this comment in no way reflects my political persuasions or support for any political party or body.

But what if it's very hot and you want the climate contro on?

Or very cold..........

But what if it's very hot and you want the climate contro on?

Or very cold..........

That's the whole point of the mandate. To stop people idling engines for this purpose.

I know,

It was a tongue in cheek comment.

When has it been so hot this summer anyway?

just get a BMW efficient dynamics. even though i feel the goal posts will be moved again when all manufacturers do this.
next time it may be do not drive with tyres as they cause drag.

Nothing like getting the facts in the way of a story.....

This has a been a "local" topic for a while (I live about 10/12 miles from Shoreham) and the locale concerned for this PILOT scheme is the level crossing where, quite frequently, you can be waiting over 5 mins (combination of shorter platforms, crossong right next to the station, timetable, etc). There is signage asking you to turn your engine off if waiting.

I asked the chiropractor I visit (who's practice is just round the corner from the police station) what she thought. Her comment was that if it reduces the smell and haze that hangs around the area then all well and good.

No-one is talking about turning off the engine every time we stop at the lights; we're not even talking about "traffic jams" in the pure sense. It's about areas where pollution builds because it's held by things such as levels crossings.

It's great for us in our sealed, cooled cars - but what about everyone else in the area? Could not a little consideration on our part make things a little better for them?

Why the potential for a fine? Because although the signs have been up for ages, no-one bothers (what if I want the air-con on, what if I can't start it again, why should someone tell me what to do in my car?).

I don't often agree with comments from ***, but on another thread he asked why things were so different today compared to "batter days", and why can't we go back to those. I'll tell you why - no-one cares about anything other than themselves ('cos I'm important, I'm a special case, I have rights, I'm a better driver, etc, etc, etc). Until that changes things won't get any better.....

I assume that all those drivers with cars that turn themselves on and off will be smiling sumgly in the queue.

I assume that all those drivers with cars that turn themselves on and off will be smiling sumgly in the queue.

i would not hold my breath. laws change all the time

In Germany it's been mandatory to switch off engines, when stationary for longer than short durations, for years.
I knew this was the case in Switzerland, I didn't realise Germany was the same.

A mate of mine was on a motorcycle holiday in Switzerland about 25 years ago and while sat stationary at a set of traffic lights with his bike idling an old woman stepped off the pavement, walked up to him and without saying a word started beating him with a rolled-up brolly :eek: Highly amusing, and he quickly learnt about the requirement to switch off the motor when stopped at lights :D

I remember Shoreham when I was around Brighton/Hove area late last year and beginning this year. Someone told me it an industrial area, I didn't believe them until I saw the sand banks, and next to it is where Heather Mill and some millionaires live. There is a big Tesco/M&S retail area and a cemetery beside the main road between Shoreham and Hove. :D

I've always been curious about this, does the car use more fuel when being started?
When stuck in long stationary jams on the motorway I do turn my engine off, but in town when stuck in traffic I hesitate as I may have to restart in a few seconds/minutes. In which case am I burning more fuel during the restart process than I would save in turning it off?

Does anyone know?

your starter motor will take a hit first, with the huge current drawn.
It does use a little more on start up, if the temperature has dropped. in town traffic, i doubt if you will notice the change/difference

A/F ratio on start up from cold is quite high, which is why you can smell fuel sometimes on cold morning and the car runs with high initial revs

Last edited:
I remember Shoreham when I was around Brighton/Hove area late last year and beginning this year. Someone told me it an industrial area, I didn't believe them until I saw the sand banks, and next to it is where Heather Mill and some millionaires live. There is a big Tesco/M&S retail area and a cemetery beside the main road between Shoreham and Hove. :D

This thread has been DragonJacked :devil: (New word which will be in the OED soon...) :bannana: :bannana:

However, can one HiJacked one's own thread?

/
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Shoreham. Yuck.

Well, there are plenty who are happy to live there. If your experience of Shoreham is restricted to the A27 / Tesco / M&S / Homebase then I could see where you are coming from. However there is much more to a town then a dual carriageway and retail park.

BTW I don't live in Shoreham, and am not an estate agent :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom