Drivers door mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlh2269

Car
c220cdi
The drivers door mirror has auto anti-glare function but the liquid crystal has broken and the whole mirror needs to be replaced?
My question is how does the mirror come out and does the wiring come with it.

To remove the mirror housing you need to fully push the mirror back towards the window glass & look in the aperture & you see how to unclip it

D

Carl,

Take a look here on this youtube video :thumb:

simples:bannana:

its a c220 cdi 2-door hatch on a 53 plate

In that case it's a W203 model designation and the Sport Coupe (2 door) is known as the CL203.

Could you clarify exactly what you want to replace, either the complete mirror housing, or just the glass?

It seems that Dave Richardson forgot to post the YouTube video, but if you Google Mercedes W203 mirror replacement, there are quite a few available.

Thanks Dave
I could see the clip at the top behind the mirror.
I even evicted the resident spider.
Any ideas where I can get a replacement mirror?

If you post up the part number you need someone may have one.

Last edited:
The drivers door mirror on my SL320 has gone exactly the same but I have no intention of paying a dealer £300.00 for a replacement.

There's a video on You Tube of a guy dismantling his and draining the fluid from it. The end result isn't great as the mirror had been stained by the crystals but at least you could see out of it.

Has anyone else tried this or is there a replacement glass which is heated as apparently the non auto dimming one from Mercedes is not heated. I can manage without the dimming function but would prefer to keep it heated if I can?

The mirror in this video is heated as there is a thermostat on the rear.
Not a bad attempt at a repair.

The dealer or a scrap yard or ebay might have a heated non-dimmmg type, worthy checking with the dealer to see if the have what you want.

Dec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDiMg481HM

[YOUTUBE]YiDiMg481HM[/YOUTUBE]

I've seen a few references where it mentions a mirror being for an R129/170/208. Does anyone know if the mirror glass the same on all three in which case it would widen the chances of finding one at a sensible price.

Brand new mirror glass from MB should only be about £60 or so for plain heated.

Doodle, the plain mirror from MB is £45.00 + VAT but according to the parts guys it's not heated?:confused:

So I followed the guy on You Tubes video and stripped my mirror out prised it carefully apart, cleaned up the glass etc. re-assembled it. I now have no auto dim but hopefully a nice clear useable and still heated mirror?

Only time will tell, there's a very slight stain on the mirror from the crystals but nothing that affects the use of the mirror, unlike the cloudy crystals, and you have to get very, very close to see it.

The job as they say was a good'un and cost me the princely sum of two hours of my time, you have to be slow getting the bezel off around the glass!

If it has 4 wires like the below example then it will be heated.
The mirror won’t heat up until the temperature of the glass is below about 15°c.

Dec

attachment.php

Dec, mine is different to that but I presume it works the same, my car has the later teardrop mirrors and the connector is moulded into the back of the mirror so it's horizontal facing rather than vertical if that makes sense? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom