Drivers Door Sticking out slightly and headlight on drivers side bit too close to bonnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W22ULF

Car
C220D AMG Line Premium - 2015
Hi Guys,

I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. Thank you in advance for being kind.

I am on the verge of purchasing a Mercedes Benz C220D 2015 AMG Line Premium - White - Pan Roof. I went to view the car yesterday and I found these couple issues which are bugging me. I am happy to have them repaired as long the cost is reasonable. The car is not been in an accident.

The drivers door does not sit flush with the driver side passenger door. It is hard to tell but if you look carefully the drivers door sticks out slightly, talking milimeters. The seller said they bought it like that couple years ago. Could this be easily fixed by adjusting the door? I will attach a photo if that help (Side View)

Also where the driver side front headlight meets the bottom, it is sitting too close to the bottom and rubbing againt the tip of the bottom, resulting in paint pealing. Again shown in image (headlight - top right of image)

All 4 alloys also need refurb - as shown in pictures.

There is a small scartch on the front bumper. You can see the silver under the paint. About 1 cm long.

Please can I get your expertise on the matter and some approximates of the cost for repair. I want the car to be perfect.

4 Diamon Cut Alloys - refurb cost
Drivers door adjustment
Front headlight adjustment
Forgot to mention it also has a surface scuff on side of rear bumper. That will need repsray along with the front bumpber.

Apart from that, car is sound. Full MB service history, 64k miles. 2 owners.

Thank you

Going to see the car again tonight. I am UK based.

Attachments

• Headlight.jpg
    Headlight.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Alloy 1.jpg
    Alloy 1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Alloy 2.jpg
    Alloy 2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Alloy 3.jpg
    Alloy 3.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 52
Firstly Welcome!
re your issues, pricing on any bodywork varies significantly from region to region; it would be best to try and get some quotes locally. Maybe someone here can make some recommendations for bodyshops in your area. The alloys will need to be re-cut back to original finish, or powdercoated (which potentially would give you a harder wearing finish). Where I am, recutting Diamond cut wheels is around £100 per wheel, powdercoating £40-80 per wheel.
Finally, if your headlight is out of alignment enough to be rubbing through the paint on an adjoining panel, I'd suspect the car may have had a knock. albeit possibly only a gentle one.

Yes I suspect it has had a slight knock. Could that be why the door is sitting slightly out when shut? I did notice when you open the drivers door fully, it does not fully stay in the open position, it comes back a little bit. I would expect it to stay fully open?

Sorry to sound like dumbwit.

Hi Guys,

I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. Thank you in advance for being kind.

I am on the verge of purchasing a Mercedes Benz C220D 2015 AMG Line Premium - White - Pan Roof. I went to view the car yesterday and I found these couple issues which are bugging me. I am happy to have them repaired as long the cost is reasonable. The car is not been in an accident.

The drivers door does not sit flush with the driver side passenger door. It is hard to tell but if you look carefully the drivers door sticks out slightly, talking milimeters. The seller said they bought it like that couple years ago. Could this be easily fixed by adjusting the door? I will attach a photo if that help (Side View)

Also where the driver side front headlight meets the bottom, it is sitting too close to the bottom and rubbing againt the tip of the bottom, resulting in paint pealing. Again shown in image (headlight - top right of image)

All 4 alloys also need refurb - as shown in pictures.

There is a small scartch on the front bumper. You can see the silver under the paint. About 1 cm long.

Please can I get your expertise on the matter and some approximates of the cost for repair. I want the car to be perfect.

4 Diamon Cut Alloys - refurb cost
Drivers door adjustment
Front headlight adjustment
Forgot to mention it also has a surface scuff on side of rear bumper. That will need repsray along with the front bumpber.

Apart from that, car is sound. Full MB service history, 64k miles. 2 owners.

Thank you

Going to see the car again tonight. I am UK based.
HI W22ULF, i think you also have to consider what other things may be out of alignment under the skin apart from the front wing and door you have already noticed. Any evidence of overspray in the suspect areas? Is the cars mileage consistent year in year out? Any significant drop in mileage one year could indicate a car being off the road being repaired.

No you are not a dimwit,looks like the car has had a minor accident,nice it has full service history,,have you checked the MOT history that sometimes points to a accident,unless this car is well cheap,chip shop as just beat me too it about lower milage ,look the MOT 's up and then see how long the owner has had it,this might nail the I bought the car like it,if this car is not well cheap I would suggest you walk away.

Welcome to the Forum!

The car clearly has accident damage that seems to have been poorly repaired and presumably not recorded on the Insurance database.

You have no idea, short of an expensive independent inspection, of how much other damage may lie underneath.

Do not let your heart rule your mind.

It may be very close to what you are looking for but there will be others that meet your criteria that are not poorly repaired.

Think of the potential problems when you come to sell it on in the future.

As others have said, walk away and keep looking.
Good luck 👍👍

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Ye it is close to what I am looking for, albeit the piano black centre console.

I am going to inspect the car again today, then make my mind up.

Price wise, I am trying to get it for about £1500 under the private market value. £300 more than what we buy any car offered to the seller after an inspection.

If they want more then that, then I will walk away.

My mission is to look for overspray, reassess the alignment, takes some more photos for you guys hopefully. Test all the electronics and take it for a drive. I will not make my decision today, let the seller wait till the weekend if I do buy.

Mileage history:
July 18 - 27,703
Feb 19 - 32,921
Feb 20 - 46,135
Feb 21 - 57,032
Currently - 64,000

The current owner purchased it in Feb 2019 from MB dealer for £19,480. They had a service pack hence why they have got full MB service history. They are the 2nd owner.

Food for thought.

Some more images for you guys to inspect.

Driver door doesn't stay open like it should. Feels loose. What is usually the cause for this issue if anyone can help.

Thanks

I haven't walked away yet. Trying to figure out how serious these issues are.

Attachments

• IMG_20210903_174326.jpg
    IMG_20210903_174326.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210903_174321_1.jpg
    IMG_20210903_174321_1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210903_173537.jpg
    IMG_20210903_173537.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210903_173501.jpg
    IMG_20210903_173501.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
Everything you say points to an accident damaged car repaired to poor standards.

You already have well over £1000 of paintwork and wheel refurbishment costs plus the inconvenience of having to get those repairs sorted out under your ownership if you buy this.

I would not be considering this car regardless of how low the price may be.

This sort of things are normal on a new Model X (ask me how I know...) :D , but not on a Merc.

Any misaligned shut lines are bound to be the result of a poor repair. The door was probably removed and refitting.

Personally, I am a purist, and will only buy a car with perfectly-aligned shut lines and no previous repairs whatsoever. But this is just me being OCD, and on a practical level if you can live with the visuals then it's fine.

One risk is rust in the repaired areas, but if any repair was done over 2 years ago then any rust would have come-out by now, so this should be fine.

EDIT - does the cover have main dealer history? Any repairs not done by an authorised repairer can mean that you wave-away the 30-year rust-through warranty.

Hi , I feel that your car will be your pride and joy which is understandable.

My C207 is my pride and joy.

If any premium car is not 100% when you buy the car it could be a money pit.

Mercedes diamond cut wheels finish is poor but I would not let that put you off buying the car but every thing else you have shown us does concern me.

I have had two C207 and they are a great car for me but may not be your car !

Mercedes produce a good car but at the end of the day you are spending you money and spend your money wisely.

The photo of the headlight and paint peeling is a bit strange. Neither are moving parts so can hardly be caused by rubbing, I’d also expect to see some primer under peeling paintwork.
As a wild guess I’d say it was previously a lease car and the owner has had a cheap repair done after a minor shunt in order for it to pass inspection on hand back

Get the suspension checked as well. 4 scuffed alloys does not say much for his driving

It's a used car, so a few scuffs and dings are to be expected. But the paintwork issue around that headlight is not right. If I had to put money on it, I'd suggest that wing has had a respray, and not a particularly good one. It certainly didn't come out of the factory like that.
I'd be inclined, as others have said, to walk away.
Plenty more fish in the sea if you're willing to cast about for a while.

Did not realise how useful posting on this forum would be.

Really appreciate everyone's input.

Have a lovely weekend.

Not bought the car.......
Sorry this one hasn't worked out for you - there will be others👍
Please keep us updated as to how you get on.

Didn’t get the most recent updates before I posted but glad that you walked away. Good choose. Everything pointed to a poorly repaired car that had been damaged. The seller hasn’t given any details which must ring so many bells as others have said. Why is it being sold? There are some great ones out there, go find them and when you do, enjoy your purchase.

Did not realise how useful posting on this forum would be.

Really appreciate everyone's input.

Have a lovely weekend.

Not bought the car.......
Did the seller ever mention the car being damaged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom