Drivers fined for speed trap "warning"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldguy57

MB Enthusiast
Car
Now various and sundry
Drivers on the Fylde Coast (Blackpool ) are being fined for flashing their lights to warn other motorists of speed traps. 20+ done so far- the offence is apparently "inappropriate use of headlights" .

Well, usually when I get flashed for no apparent reason, I start looking all over the car, behind me, put my hand on the roof just in case I left my briefcase there, and then plod does me for driving without due care and attention. You just can't win....

Drivers on the Fylde Coast (Blackpool ) are being fined for flashing their lights to warn other motorists of speed traps. 20+ done so far- the offence is apparently "inappropriate use of headlights" .

It could be construed as 'perverting the course of justice' and therefore be a much more serious offence. Wonder what they'd say if you were standing on the pavement with a large sign saying "SLOW DOWN>>>THERE'S CAMERAS EVERYWHERE". So nothing specific, just a warning that you'd be daft to ignore.

It could be construed as 'perverting the course of justice' and therefore be a much more serious offence. Wonder what they'd say if you were standing on the pavement with a large sign saying "SLOW DOWN>>>THERE'S CAMERAS EVERYWHERE". So nothing specific, just a warning that you'd be daft to ignore.

This is 100% correct. There was a case recently in Kent near a large Grammar School (my daughters attend this) and the 'perp' was prosecuted for "perverting the course of justice". The judge described his actions as "misguided in the extreme" pointing out that were a child to be injured, or killed as a result of his "warning" to other motorists he would be facing a much more serious penalty probably custodial.

We must avoid blaming the Police for Policing the law of the land. Also we should consider the consequences of our own actions. Like the poster above!! If somebody flashes at me? I will almost immediately assume that something is wrong with my car/lights and start to worry.

No, I am not a rude or a 'goody two shoes' and no I do not drive along holding up every other motorist. I am not what some on here will no doubt consider to as a stereo typical 'doddery old git'. But I do believe that there is a place for speed enforcement and hat is usually where drivers cannot be trusted to enforce it upon themselves at the risk to others.

Surely they should be paying motorists to "warn" other road users as it would slow them down and they would adhere to the speed limit which is what the plod want , or am i missing something apart from the loss in revenue.

Kenny

Surely they should be paying motorists to "warn" other road users as it would slow them down and they would adhere to the speed limit which is what the plod want , or am i missing something apart from the loss in revenue.

Kenny

Fair point. As I understand it?? It is not manageable to do this. The main reason being that motorists cannot be relied on to Police themselves before they start to Police others. There may well be a erfectly valid reason fr a Police Speed Trap to be where it is, a reason that we would all applaud. Along comes Johnny be Good and starts flashing his lights at the oncoming traffic!! Great at that second in time one, maybe two cars slow down, then life continues, with the unknown hazard that created the need for the trap remaining for every car that comes after. I can think of a whole host of reasons why self policing does not work for speeding. But the basic premise remains..... If the limit is 30mph and people wish to ignore this and drive 40mph (insert your own number) then is it correct that we rely on people flashing their lights as warning? or would we rather that the Police are able to deal with it? Before answering please consider that you may get what you wish for.

This is 100% correct. There was a case recently in Kent near a large Grammar School (my daughters attend this) and the 'perp' was prosecuted for "perverting the course of justice". The judge described his actions as "misguided in the extreme" pointing out that were a child to be injured, or killed as a result of his "warning" to other motorists he would be facing a much more serious penalty probably custodial...

This is silly.

If the driver did NOT flash the headlights, then the offending motorists would have sped by the school and only stopped by plod after committing the offence (and potentially running over a child).

If the offending motorist responded to the flashing driver, then he would have SLOWED DOWN before reaching the school area.

So yes you could argue that the driver was 'perverting the course of justice' by preventing the police form punishing the offender, but I don't see how you could argue that it caused a safety issue on that stretch of the road at that particular time?

In essence, flashing your light is no different to painting speed cameras bright yellow or putting up 'speed camera' warning signs. These are all means to deter offenders from speeding, not for catching them in the act.

This is silly.

If the driver did NOT flash the headlights, then the offending motorists would have sped by the school and only stopped by plod after committing the offence (and potentially running over a child).

If the offending motorist responded to the flashing driver, then he would have SLOWED DOWN before reaching the school area.

So yes you could argue that the driver was 'perverting the course of justice' by preventing the police form punishing the offender, but I don't see how you could argue that it caused a safety issue on that stretch of the road at that particular time?

In essence, flashing your light is no different to painting speed cameras bright yellow or putting up 'speed camera' warning signs. These are all means to deter offenders from speeding, not for catching them in the act.

I was thinking the same, if one was to try really hard to comprehend the safety aspect then you would have to argue that had there been no warning and the guy maintained speed and therefore got prosecuted THEN he might be more careful in the future.

It's an, admittedly, convoluted train of thought.

A few years ago, sticking your hand out of the window and giving the thumbs down sign was deemed to be a warning of scameras, but it seems to have died out. Mind you, plod could probably still do you, for inappropriate use of thumb or some such nonsense.

Right up to the early 1960s RAC patrolmen would salute members' cars (identified by a badge on the grille). As a 'service to members' they (allegedly) did not salute if there was a Police speed trap ahead - it was considered that giving a warning by not doing something made it almost impossible to prove legally :)

We have a WhatsApp group to for the alerting of camera vans.

Mic

I'm on the bruce bench with Yugguy here, speeding anywhere near a school is a stupid move if not for the reason that kids are stupid and are programmed not to pay attention to anything going on around them.... glad i never was one :)
I passed a school last week approached the zebra crossing a kid looked like he was going to cross so i naturally slowed to a stop, then he changed his mind, then turnt back on his heels and ran half across to be chased by his mate back across the way he came. :mad:
I kindly and curtiously informed them both that it's not a (F%££$%;)) playground and they could come into some serious harm if they do not proceed with more care.

On the note of flashing other drivers i absolutely can't stand it even if they are trying to say thank you ! Nothing worse than someone expressing there grantitude by searing blue dots into my eyeballs with there luxury xenons ( a feature i do not have and am in no way jealous) bringing me to a slow or complete stop and even worse still doing it when they have priority over traffic ... don't thank me i didn't have a choice ! if i did they'd be the one on the receiving end of (my more than adequate to see down the road) Halogens !:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom