Drivers licence photo renewal...what a con!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by x332race, Oct 6, 2011.

1. x332race

x332race MB Enthusiast

Just had a nice letter from DVLA reminding me that I need to renew the photo on my drivers licence if I want to carry on driving and that they want to charge me £20 for the privalidge.....what a con!

They don't even need me to get my photo verified so I could give them any old photo!

2. snoop51

snoop51 Active Member

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    When you do get it renewed even though you supply them with a colour passport photo out of a booth the new one on your driving licence is black and white just to really pee you off. If I'd known I'd have taken them on my camera and printed them off in black and white instead of paying for the colour ones.:wallbash:

3. MOCAŠ

MOCAŠ MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK
    Surely this can't have come as a surprise to you? Your current licence would have had the expiry date printed on it, and the renewal fees are publicised on the direct.gov website. Hardly a con...
    con/kän/

Verb: Persuade (someone) to do or believe something, typically by use of a deception.
    Noun: An instance of deceiving or tricking someone.
    Synonyms: cheat

4. Palfrem

Palfrem MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
    There are stilll loads of folk out there wth a photo-less paper licence that the DVLA is quite happy with, so why should the new licence "expire" after 10 years?

To cheat us out of £20?

If it was free to update photo that would at least be fair.

5. moonloops

moonloops MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    They should have brought in mandatory retesting every 10 years at the same time.

3 people like this.
  6. clever dicky

clever dicky Active Member

Car:
    Jag
    That's why I still keep my paper one.
    Its like petrified parchment now, but I wont relinquish it.

2 people like this.
  7. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    I felt and feel the same way but informed opinion has it that you could save yourself a lot of hassle if you have a ''photo driving licence'' in many countries outside the UK if and when needed for presentation......so I ''bit the bullet''......knowing the financial consequences.

Mic

8. Troon

Troon MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A big one
    That wouldn't stand you in good stead when you are stopped by the police and you show them your licence with Wile E Coyote as a photo.

9. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    My photo is in colour.:confused:

10. OP
    OP
    x332race

x332race MB Enthusiast

Well it seems to me just a way of making money.....they will even accept my passport photo if it is less than 5 years old so they cannot be that fussed about getting a recent photo on my licence.

I had to get a new licence when I moved house 10 years ago as my address changed.....then only licence they would issue me was a photo one! I think that that licence was issued free of charge. So yes, I think it is a con for the DVLA to charge £20 for renewing a photo

11. artyman

artyman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    Still have my original, but will have to get one of these fancy new things when I hit 70 (not mph :D) Also got my old little red book as well :)

12. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate

Hmm. Happy 70th. Twenty Notes to HMG please. I know what Ill be asking for for a pressie then.

13. Nik_Endeavour

Nik_Endeavour Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes-less at the moment
    Come it's only £20. There are costs to process, file, print and post you a new licence. This is a damn if you do and damn if you don't. If DVLA dished them out for free how long do you think till Daily Mail and friends would start banging about wasteful civil servants and bad value for money.

2 people like this.
  14. PXW

PXW MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance
    Wonder when that changed then. Renewed my photo in July last year, sent in a colour one and got a monochrome one on my new license card.

15. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    I got mine in 2006.

But I live in NI. A much more colourful place obviously.

16. MOCAŠ

MOCAŠ MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK
    Aere you sure you didn't send it to America by mistake? The DVLA would have sent you a driving licence...

2 people like this.
  17. removed

removed Guest

Car:
    ~
    At least UK licence is valid for ten years. Bahamian DL has to be replaced every two years*, and you have to go to Road Traffic Dpt to have your picture taken (no printed photos accepted - all digital, taken by their system) and pay $25 for it. The good thing is your DL is printed right there and then in just a couple of minutes.

* Actually, it's only valid till the end of your month of birth the year after - say I got one renewed in Feb 2011, it'll only last till Nov 2012.

18. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    I think it is passports that only have a life of 10 yrs. driving licences in the first instance have a life until mid night before your 70th birthday in the UK

Mic

19. Benzmanc

Benzmanc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 + Honda Blackbird
    My HGV expires at 45 then it's a medical to carry on.

Daz

20. removed

removed Guest

Car:
    ~
    Well, the licence definitely shows "4a - Licence valid from" and "4b - Licence valid to", however the leaflet that came with it says "The date shown in 4a is the date the photograph is valid from. 4b shows the date the photograph must be renewed." I guess they just simplified the terms printed on the actual licence. So, even though the licence to drive the motor vehicle, as you have correctly pointed out, is valid till 70th b/day, the [new type] card would have to be replaced every ten years. Still, not bad :cool:

1 person likes this.