Drivers of diesel motor vehicles are warned that they face higher costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was listening to some techy programme the other day which made the claim that Server Farms create more pollution that the airline industry.

My dad has a S320 CDI 08. After I purchased the CLK 320 98, he drove it and then remembered how good petrol engines are. After that, he said he will go back to either a 6 or 8 pot gasoline engine and not a diesel again. The main reason he purchased a S320 CDI was due to better mpg but 17-23 mpg in town is not worth the sacrifice of a petrol engine since he does not go on long journeys alot and the low annual mileage.

Yes the emissions of a diesel engine are very nasty and dirty compared to a petrol engine. The DPF has kind of saved the reputation of the diesel engine because if it wasn't for that, the air quality would be much worse today

don't diesels emit less co2, which is a major target EU wishes to reduce on, therefore i doubt diesels are going anywhere

don't diesels emit less co2, which is a major target EU wishes to reduce on, therefore i doubt diesels are going anywhere

Yes the EU target is a 80% reduction in CO2 levels by 2050, compared to the 1990 atmospheric CO2 levels (if I remember correctly) but due to bad air quality in terms of fine particles emitted from combustion and NOx (Nitrogen Oxides), which are more higher from diesel combustion, a high number of deaths (due to lung cancer etc) have been caused. That's why the DPF in the modern diesel engine is so important.

Its an issue of balancing the risk of death caused by bad air quality and the risk of climate change caused by higher CO2 levels, which leads to a very complex resolution

I would happily pay double my road tax if it helped get disgusting diesels off our roads.

Actually using AdBlue etc reduces NOx in diesels to make them Eu6 compliant. The US is very strict on NOx but diesels are beginning to be seen more over there. I had a c350 petrol as my last hire car and frankly was pretty disappointed in the performance and refinement which has been discussed in detail on here.

Actually reading the article and some other stuff it's HGV diesels that are massively polluting still not car diesels and most of the terrible pollution is in congested cities.

This from a petrol and diesel owner. I like them both!

On tarmac I burn Petrol on water I burn diesel, although the boat doesn't seem to be subject to any emission control,.................yet.

I love this, I hate weasel engines and never bought the good for the environment bull that was put out years ago.

I mean just see the carp that comes out of some of them, it's simply shocking.

On tarmac I burn Petrol on water I burn diesel, although the boat doesn't seem to be subject to any emission control,.................yet.

Yeah but you have to pay full wack in tax for the slimey red stuff now, stopped us.

Yep...the "I told you so" nerve.

My next daily car will still be a big diesel.

It won't really be "big" though will it C?

In car terms, big is 5 litres and over :cool:.

I also don't think people realise that the old 'diesel' runners aint cheap to tax due to CO2...my old Volvo is now at nearly £300 per year...:crazy: considering its low value...

Environment smironment. People buy diesel because they are more efficient than petrol.. Because of BIK. Because of road tax.

In the big willy contests, EV are the new Daddies. EV laugh in the face of ICE cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom