Drivers seat stuck completely forward and Mercedes want to 'cut it out'??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrSkipsey

Car
Mercedes CLK 320
Morning everyone. Ive just recently purchased a W208 CLK 320 and love it!
Last Friday I put the drivers seat all the way forward to clean the back and now its stuck in this position. All other electric seat functions work except for the forwards and backwards. Which being stuck all the way forwadr at 6'4" tall is a pain!
Ive tried everything found using the seach on these forums,....fuses are fine, tapped the motor with a hammer and pulled the connecting wore blocks from the unit under the drivers seat to try and reset but to no avail.
My mechanic, who is very good has also tried to remove the seat to replace the motor but is unable to get to the 2 bolts at the front as the seat is over them.
He has taken it to Mercedes garage and spoke to their main service manager who has advised cutting the seat out, replacing the motor and buying a new seat.
This seems a tad extreme to me, surely there is another way of moving the seat back to take it out??????? Any suggestions?

Mike.

Search again....someone on the forum managed to replace the fore & aft motor without removing the seat. They just removed the cushion IIRC.

Swan....was it you?

Its difficult when they get stuck... are you sure you have checked both fuses, there is one in the front engine bay and one in the boot. the boot one is normally the one that pops.

On a similar topic, sometimes the passenger seat on my W208 continues to go forward when I operate the switch to go backwards. Couple of releases and it rights itself. Motor on way out?

Its difficult when they get stuck... are you sure you have checked both fuses, there is one in the front engine bay and one in the boot. the boot one is normally the one that pops.

Checked all fuses, front and back and tested for continuity when I checked the front fuses. All were Ok. Jay.

I had the same thing on my 420 SEC, it was the controls on the door that had packed up, all seat functions worked except for moving the seat back.

I had the same thing on my 420 SEC, it was the controls on the door that had packed up, all seat functions worked except for moving the seat back.

Ive ruled out the door switches as I can here the relay clicking in at the motor when the button is pressed so assuming power is still flowing.
Ive used a T30 bit to release the seat cushion on the dorr side but have lost it down the side by the centre console. Does anyone have any idea how to get to the fixings? My fingers are just too big and I dont seem to have an overflow of 4 year olds to use!!!!!
Hoping once I get the cushion out I can get a direct birds eye view over the motors and wiring and go from there??
Thanks for the help so far. Once this is done Ill show you some pics of the car.
Mike.

#5, so there is power getting to the motor? Or is it just assumed? :crazy:
What is the VIN, I may be able to pull somthing of the EPC that may help.

Last edited:
Also get a meter on the connector to see if it's getting 12V.

#5, so there is power getting to the motor? Or is it just assumed? :crazy:
What is the VIN, I may be able to pull somthing of the EPC that may help.

Do you need the whole VIN or just partial digit mate?

Also get a meter on the connector to see if it's getting 12V.

Steve, do you mean the connector going from the motor to the 'black box' under the seat or the connectorswitches within the door panel?

The vin is in the drivers door jam and otehr placees, and is somthing like....

WDB2102262B237712

this pulls the parts listing and GA drawings up.

remove the door card and have a good wiggle of the connector at the back of the seat switches - a bad earth here can mess up the voltages - this makes the seat module think that the switch is signalling 'forward' when in fact you're pressing it to go back.
This might be why you can still hear noise from the moter when you press the switch to go back - it's actually trying to go forwards.

try this before anything else, you might be lucky

If you can raise the seat try disconnecting the motor and sticking 12v straight into the connector.

Had the same problem with our E320 CDI ....unfortunately one of the mototrs was beyond repair and had to have the whole base unit replaced ..OUCH

Electric seats are great when they work but cause owners no end of problems. My headrest always plays up when I fold the seat forward. I have overcome this by either holding the switch (up or down depending on the position its stuck in) for 5 seconds, or repeatedly folding and extending the backrest - must be a switch not making correctly.

In your case, as suggested before, try putting 12v straight to the connector if you can access it.

Right, Ive made some headway. Its deffinatly the moor as I managed to get the cushion out and tapped the motor with a hammer and it put the seat back very very slowly.
The only trouble is Ive now put it back too far so will have to use the hammer trick to bring it forward 4". If theres any more life in the motor. As soon as Ive got access to the seat bolts Ill be taking the seat out and replacing the motor.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Right, Ive made some headway. Its deffinatly the moor as I managed to get the cushion out and tapped the motor with a hammer and it put the seat back very very slowly.
The only trouble is Ive now put it back too far so will have to use the hammer trick to bring it forward 4". If theres any more life in the motor. As soon as Ive got access to the seat bolts Ill be taking the seat out and replacing the motor.
Thanks for all the help so far.

I replaced the motor with the seat in place. Bit of a fiddle but can be done. Just make sure all wiring is not chaffing on any moving parts.

I've had a similar prob with my passenger seat, just it wasn't stuck forward but it wouldn't lift electrically. It made passengers look like little munchkins. Did all the same things you did. Trust it! Until I by chance wonder tried the 3 memory options. boom! It worked! So happy. Mem' Option 3 made it lift to it's highest position. Great.

Sorted for now, will probably break down when I get back in now I've said that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom