Drivers side glass scratch can it be repaired?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nismonick

Car
E350 coupe
Hi all
Having spent 8 hours yesterday detailing my e350 coupe I noticed the the drivers side widow has some rather annoying vertical scratches.
Has anyone ever had a repair on these or is it easier to replace the window?
Thanks Nick.

MB glass is prone to scratches. Scraping off ice is the most likely cause for the vertical scratches. Ice scrapers and stiff burnishes for damage the glass.
Many will say use glass polish or jewellers rouge. These products work after a lot of effort on very minor scratches. If you can feel the scratch with a finger nail don’t even start to try to rub it out as it’s a waste off time. Most insurance companies will cover the cost of glass replacement on payment of an excess if the damage is in the drivers field of view. I recently had a screen replaced and could feel the scratch the windscreen fitter said any less damage and the insurance would not have covered the cost.

Carparts4less sell glass scratch repair kits,I have no experience of using them.

MB glass is prone to scratches. Scraping off ice is the most likely cause for the vertical scratches. Ice scrapers and stiff burnishes for damage the glass.
Many will say use glass polish or jewellers rouge. These products work after a lot of effort on very minor scratches. If you can feel the scratch with a finger nail don’t even start to try to rub it out as it’s a waste off time. Most insurance companies will cover the cost of glass replacement on payment of an excess if the damage is in the drivers field of view. I recently had a screen replaced and could feel the scratch the windscreen fitter said any less damage and the insurance would not have covered the cost.
Do you know if your replacement screen OEM or third-party? God forbid I ever need a replacement but I'd be very concerned about Autoglass not using a genuine MB screen.

I've got the same on my C207 coupe on the drivers and passengers Windows, personally I think it's a coupe problem, perhaps because they are frameless? I've heard of a few coupe's with this problem, I've tried all sorts, inc jewellers rouge, doesn't work, must say it is annoying, particularly in the sun, it shows more, replacement is probably the only answer, but then it might happen again, Mercedes wanted £450 too replace the two front windows, I tried my insurance they weren't having it at all.

I have had two screens changed by Autoglass via Aviva insurance in the last two years. Even on a 5 year old car I asked for MB glass with the signature, the Person that I spoke to said that they would confirm with the insurance company and would be in touch, they called back the next day saying that original glass was on order and they would contact again when it was in. In both my replacement cases I had to go to an Autoglass Centre for fitting as the car needed to have the camera system recalibrated. The “glue/ mastic” that holds the windscreen in has about a 60 minute set time so even with the recalibration you can drive away in under 2 hours. As I said two screens replaced both a perfect job.

On the replacement of front side windows £450 seems steep. I replaced both front windows on my s205 C Class for acoustic glass in under an hour on my drive having looked up what to do on You tube. A professional screen repairer would be much faster. The two sheets of glass cost me about £160 from the MB dealers. So if a fitter charged even £50 a side you would be £190 less than the dealers wanted.

Thanks chaps I thought the glass from MB would be dearer pleasantly suprised so I'll probably go that route and pay a fitter to fit.

Shame it wasn’t the passenger side, they are easy to repair.

I can confirm it’s a coupe cabrio issue a my CLK has scratched glass too. Think it must be due to frameless windows.

Check your glass insurance, its probably covered, so should a "stone" or a foreign object happen to break it, you will only have to cover the £80 or so excess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom