Driver's side wing mirror repair W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdrianS

Car
Mercedes C180 K W203
Hi,

Sadly, some careless driver managed to end the life of the wing mirror on my 54-plate facelift C180 Kompressor.

I took it to my local MB dealership, and they told me the repair would cost £415 in PARTS ALONE, with extra costs added for labour.

After I had recovered from the minor cardiac event this news caused, I decided perhaps I should attempt to repair this myself.

Now the problem is I'm not sure precisely which parts I need, and how to even repair it. As you can see in the photos, the mirror glass is cracked and obviously needs replacing, and the housing is also damaged and would also need replacing.

The electronics seem to be working fine however, and it folds in and out when the button is pushed. I can also hear the motor whirring when I attempt to move the mirror glass, however it doesn't actually move the glass (probably because it's no longer attached to the back plate).

1) Can anyone tell me exactly which parts I need and where I can source them from? I would be happy with aftermarket parts if they look and perform almost the same.

2) Is this something I should attempt to do myself (and what is the best "HOW TO"?) or ask a bodywork shop to do?

3) What would be a reasonable price for the parts and labour?

Halfords don't even stock a suitable temporary stick-on replacement for this car, so it's been a nightmare.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• photo A.jpg
    photo A.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 38
  • photo B.jpg
    photo B.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 35
Ebay is your friend. LINK.

I had a new mirror for the 210 (£762) that was damaged soon after replacement and bought the genuine auto-dimming type from a breaker on ebay for £40 all inclusive. It is like new and fitting is very easy to do.

A couple on ebay.

LINK.

LINK.

Awesome.

The part in the first link is apparently not compatible with my car but the second one should be.

Is there a fitting guide anywhere specifically for the 54-plate facelift model? I keep finding guides and videos for slightly older or newer models!

IIRC, with the mirror in the folded position you will be able to see (I think) three screws.
From memory, disconnect the cable and unscrew the screws and then the swap is easy.

The two links posted by ringway are for pre-facelift models. Notice the indicator lens is different to yours. I believe the lenses can be removed, but I don't know if they are interchangeable.

You may get away with replacing just the glass and the cover. Use link below on how to remove the cover. (Exterior Rear View Mirror how to).

Or...

You may need to remove the door card to disconnect the wiring for the mirror if it can't be disconnected at the mirror. (Depends if the connections will pass through the aperture in the mounting). As ringway says, fold the mirror inwards and there are three screws.

This link will help if you need to remove the door card Welcome to the C-Class! click on the Disassembly option and then the Door Panel and watch the video. You will need QuickTime Player installed on your PC in order to watch it.

It appears that ebay only have a couple of facelift mirrors (clear indicator) at the moment and neither are in silver, so would need to be sprayed. One looks to have small amount of damage, but this one seems ok. MERCEDES C CLASS W203 COUPE / SALOON C180 DRIVER SIDE O/S WING MIRROR POWER FOLD | eBay

Edit: I've just taken another look at your photos and it looks like you have an auto dimming mirror, hence the price from the stealers. Doubtful that you will find a second hand one the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom