drivers who dont read the road ahead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

There are a lot of roadworks in Edinburgh at the moment, but it bugs me every time I drive through them the lack of foresight in some drivers.

There are signs saying the lane is closing, but drivers continue to drive in that lane (even though there is a gap to merge into) undertaking others already in the correct lane and then indicating much further up the queue.

sure, there are some who want to push in at the front, but i fear most/many are people who just dont read the road ahead well enough, and then dozily try to indicate too late.

this really gets to me!!

rant over!!
:devil:

If these 'drivers' read the road ahead then the manufacturers of brake pads would go out of business. They are the same ones that drive to close to a bus leaving no room to pull round it when is stops, as they invariably do, or have to use the full width of the road to get past. They don't look any further than the end of the bonnet most of the time, a little forward observation and progress can be made without resorting to continual braking. Anticipation will make a far safer journey for all concerned.

yeah, I often see people behind busses and happy slow down and stop behind it as it collects its passengers - then they flick on their indicators to try and overtake it..... if they indicated as soon as the bus did/start to slow down then someone could easily let them in and everyone moves on quick.

Get it everywhere, there is temporary roadworks on a particularly busy road in Plymouth, luckily people have realised and are letting one car in each, ok, you still have to slow a little, but no stopping and it works nicely! :)

It always annoys me how drivers on dual carriageway/motorway arent reading the road ahead, when coming up behind slower cars they arent pulling out to overtake sooner, instead driving right behind the car in front, so close they have to brake, and then pull out..

The last time I looked, the Highway Code said that, when lanes are closing in queuing traffic, drivers should use all available lanes and then merge alternately. It also said that you are allowed undertake a lane of slow-moving or stationary vehicles. Perhaps some of these drivers are following the Highway Code!

An interesting idea would be to have mandatory driving theory and practical tests every 10 years. How many would pass?

It annoys me how many people dont understand the rules of the road and get annoyed with drivers that do.

If everybody used all lanes and merged properly, there would be no room for queue jumpers and the queue would be far shorter!

Thgis topic has caused a thread to be closed.
Highway code states use all lanes, and merge one by one at the end. but selfish drivers will never allow others to merge.
remember 1 km tailback 4 m wide is better than a 2km tailback 2m wide

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=37597&highlight=digger

I never said that they wernt following the highway code, but its INTELLEGENT driving to read the road ahead and indicate and get into a lane at the best possible time - not right at the very front of the queue - thats called a BOTTLENECK.

lets all slow down to 30mph on a free-flowing motorway just because an out of time sign above the road tells us to......

there is often a 30mph lights flashing when travelling towards the Forth Rd bridge.... usually a 70mph limit (motorway). This is because there has been traffic queues there previously, but the sign hasnt been updated yet. (this happens most days!!)

Everyone manages to go about their business here at 70+.... but to strickly stay within the law we should all slow down to 30mph.

Guess what would happen if somebody did - and get rear ended by a car going 70.....

sometimes you need to use your common sense... IMHO!!

I never said that they wernt following the highway code, but its INTELLEGENT driving to read the road ahead and indicate and get into a lane at the best possible time - not right at the very front of the queue - thats called a BOTTLENECK.

lets all slow down to 30mph on a free-flowing motorway just because an out of time sign above the road tells us to......

there is often a 30mph lights flashing when travelling towards the Forth Rd bridge.... usually a 70mph limit (motorway). This is because there has been traffic queues there previously, but the sign hasnt been updated yet. (this happens most days!!)

Everyone manages to go about their business here at 70+.... but to strickly stay within the law we should all slow down to 30mph.

Guess what would happen if somebody did - and get rear ended by a car going 70.....

sometimes you need to use your common sense... IMHO!!

Has it not happened to you before, that when you spot a gap in the queue and try to indicate, some wise guy then speeds up to close the gap and it happens on and on until you find yourself at the end of the road.
Selfish drivers cause most of the problems as they cannot tolerate anyone else on the road.
common sense is not common to you all the time.

Has it not happened to you before, that when you spot a gap in the queue and try to indicate, some wise guy then speeds up to close the gap and it happens on and on until you find yourself at the end of the road.
Selfish drivers cause most of the problems as they cannot tolerate anyone else on the road.
common sense is not common to you all the time.

yes i see it often. Usually its because they have undertook a huge queue and then tried to skip the queue by pushing in at the front. I wouldnt let them in either.

If however they are mid-queue then i would probably flash them to let them in.

It all depends on whether they have blatently tried to skip the queue.

If i see a lane closing i merge in within plenty of time. Everyone is trying to get to a destination, and i believe people should just merge in near to the end of the road. I am not saying that you should effectively close a perfectly good lane for miles.... i dont agree with truckers who block the lanes way up the road, i think there is a happy medium - merge in near to the end of the road but not right at the last minute.

Last edited:
I accelerate into a gap as then i'm the one in control of the situation, also merging at the point of the obstruction only works if the person at that point isn't a jealous halfwit.

It works well in Holland but in England we seem to have an inbuilt hatred for anyone getting ahead of us.

DAve!

Use all the road up to the point where one lane is closed and then merge in turn ( zip together) minimises the length of the queue ( good for people unable to reach a turn off etc.) .

As long as all drivers do this it works well because there is no jockeying for position which is what causes much of the delay, and it's fair becasue both queues will be the same length.

Lived in Germany for a number of years and this is what drivers are taught. It works.

yes i see it often. Usually its because they have undertook a huge queue and then tried to skip the queue by pushing in at the front. I wouldnt let them in either.

If however they are mid-queue then i would probably flash them to let them in..

No usually it is because they tried to enter mid queue and some wise guy refused to let them in then and rather than stay there and cause chaos they decide to try further along. if all the cars coming along fill both lanes, there will be no undertaking because both lanes will have exactly the same number of cars all the way to the obstruction. then just one after the other at the front,
but heck what do i know i am a just a driver who likes to give way at roadworks. in europe there are signs at roadworks indicating you should do this

It works well in Holland but in England we seem to have an inbuilt hatred for anyone getting ahead of us.
DAve!

yes i know i lived there for years , and if you do otherwise, you get a hefty fine, same in germany

Last edited:
No usually it is because they tried to enter mid queue and some wise guy refused to let them in then and rather than stay there and cause chaos they decide to try further along.

not the ones i see..... they usually tear up the inside of the traffic queue to the very front and then try to push in. Usually i watch this happen from back in the queue, rather than being at the front myself..... but if i was at the front, they wouldt get in.

some people are selfish, i dont think its the guy at the very front who has patiently waited in the queue for the last 5 mins or whatever - its the guy who thinks he can just push in.

I sometimes this happens in "on foot" queues aswell - atleast then, the person gets yelled at by whoever is at the front, rather than let in.

It all depends on whether they have blatently tried to skip the queue.

And how would you know this? Have you been viewing their progress all the way down or do you have have rearward vision for miles. how do you know they have not tried mid queue?

It all depends...

To be completely honest, if im in a real rush, I will push myself in at the last possible cone...
I personally think extra delays are caused by people moving away from the closed lane far too early.
Obviously I would move down the closing lane very slowly..

However, most of the time im not in a mad rush so am happy to wait in the queue and criticise the people that try and push in at the last cone ;)

not the ones i see..... they usually tear up the inside of the traffic queue to the very front and then try to push in. Usually i watch this happen from back in the queue, rather than being at the front myself..... but if i was at the front, they wouldt get in.

They are supposed to tear down the empty lane and everyone else is entiltled to tear down the empty lane until it is as long as the full lane. the selfish ones are those sitting at the end of the long single lane creating a 10 mile tailback that is 2 metres wide and blocking many minor junctions or roads coming into that major road, instead of a 5 mile tailback that is 4 metres wide.
Imagine on the motorway how many junctions your single lane file would have blocked?

Last edited:
i'm not saying that it wouldnt be better to all merge in together and have a wider shorter queue, but in reality it doesnt happen. So you have to make the best of what you have.

And yes, if i am near the front of a queue, i often look in my mirror and see if anyone is tearing up the inside.... if so, they dont get infront of me.

If i am in the middle of the queue and people want to join then i always flash a few in - it helps everyone get to where they want to be...

the the pi$$ takers..... no! :mad:

and, i wouldnt be waiting at the end of a queue - i would myself drive up the empty lane but would merge in, like i already mentioned, mid way somewhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom