Drivers window closes too far

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by snoopstar, Sep 24, 2008.

1. snoopstar

snoopstar New Member

Car:
    CLK230 Cabriolet
    Hi all,

My drivers side front window on my 230 CLK Cabrio (2000) seems to have started closing too far. I noticed when I started finding the door difficult to close and the window not laying flat against the rear window seal. This leaves a gap between the two windows until I open and close the drivers window.

It appears that the drivers window is coming up too far, further than the passenger window. It hits the front roof seal when I shut the door rather than slip under it and it also appears not to drop as far as the passenger side. The windows have the comfort option

I have tried the 10 - 15 second reset holding it in the up and down positions but that hasn't helped. I have also tried adjusting the screws inside the door on the window mechanism but it still travels all the way up until it bangs into mechanical stops with a clunk. The passenger side doesn't make any noise when closing, appearing to stop before any mechanical contact.

Any ideas?

2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Mine did this on my CLK cab , on the passenger window.

You can ask your local indy to sychronise the windows via his STAR machine ( might work ) or the other thing is a new window motor . The motor counts the teeth that go past it when it is rising or falling , if the motor develops a fault it counts one too many ( or too few ) ....

I learned to live with it because window motors are expensive. ;)

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Is there no physical stop.?

If not, what's ITEM 23.

I can't see the motor being either a stepper motor or having an encoder and how does it sense home position.?

Isn't it just a standard motor with current overload facility for switching off when the limit is reached.

4. OP
    OP
    snoopstar

snoopstar New Member

Car:
    CLK230 Cabriolet
    Thanks Howard. I do have an AA warranty on it so I may have to look into that to see if it's somethign that might be covered.

Dieselman, it certainly sounds like it's hitting a physical stop at its full closed height. It has a mechanical clunk rather than just stopping like the other 3 windows. That's why I was thinking it might be a software / electronic sequencing type problem. Or maybe rather more hoping.

5. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Only relaying what Olly told me when we looked at mine.