drivers wing mirror glass replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazM

Car
CLK 500 Convertible
Hi All
the gel in my mirror has leaked and ive replaced the glass however i'm not sure how to take the old glass off. ive searched and there are conflicting opinions. i obviously dont want to try one and damage the whole mirror.

any help much appreciated - for reference the car is a 2003 CLK W209

Thanks
Gareth

If it's the same as a w203, you pull one side of the glass outwards and there is a clip behind. There is a guide on you tube.

If it's the same as a w203, you pull one side of the glass outwards and there is a clip behind. There is a guide on you tube.

Thanks kwk - ive seen that method but my glass seems to be completely enclosed

Changed my dimming mirror a couple of days ago. I have the folding type, so the cover cannot be removed as in some of the YouTube videos for this.

Basically you need to push the bottom of the glass in as far as it will go, you will then see a small diameter spring running across the back, top edge of the mirror backing.

You will need a pointed zig-zag tool of some sort. Similar to a 'Z' shape on the end (but not such acute angles).

You need to push the point down between the spring and the backing plate, then lever it slightly away from the backing plate and lift it over the small plastic tab just above the arrow in the first picture.

The mirror can then be pulled out of the housing and the wires disconnected. A small flat blade screwdriver may be needed to prise the clips off.

Fitting the new one is just a reversal of the removal, but make sure the retaining spring is above that little plastic tab (second picture) before locating and pushing the two other clips (6 & 9 o'clock positions in the pictures) into their sockets. Once in situ, push the spring inwards, away from the glass, so that it springs down over the retaining tab.

Last edited:
Can't you just stick a replacement one on top, I think Halfrauds do replica mirror glass.
Just a thought

I got an 'as new, perfect working order' genuine Mercedes dimming mirror off fleabay for £57 inc P&P. Bargain... :bannana::bannana::bannana:

Changed my dimming mirror a couple of days ago. I have the folding type, so the cover cannot be removed as in some of the YouTube videos for this.

Basically you need to push the bottom of the glass in as far as it will go, you will then see a small diameter spring running across the back, top edge of the mirror backing.

You will need a pointed zig-zag tool of some sort. Similar to a 'Z' shape on the end (but not such acute angles).

You need to push the point down between the spring and the backing plate, then lever it slightly away from the backing plate and lift it over the small plastic tab just above the arrow in the first picture.

The mirror can then be pulled out of the housing and the wires disconnected. A small flat blade screwdriver may be needed to prise the clips off.

Fitting the new one is just a reversal of the removal, but make sure the retaining spring is above that little plastic tab (second picture) before locating and pushing the two other clips (6 & 9 o'clock positions in the pictures) into their sockets. Once in situ, push the spring inwards, away from the glass, so that it springs down over the retaining tab.

thanks - thats exactly what i needed:thumb:

I got an 'as new, perfect working order' genuine Mercedes dimming mirror off fleabay for £57 inc P&P. Bargain... :bannana::bannana::bannana:

did you notice anymore while you were looking :crazy: drivers side, black :wallbash:

did you notice anymore while you were looking :crazy: drivers side, black :wallbash:

I only bought the glass, not the complete mirror.

These do pop up on ebay from time to time, although they are as rare as hen's teeth. Just search for Mercedes W209 dimming door mirror glass. Better than the £300+ Mercedes want for a new one though.
They can be replaced with just a heated glass if that's a viable option for you.

I only bought the glass, not the complete mirror.

These do pop up on ebay from time to time, although they are as rare as hen's teeth. Just search for Mercedes W209 dimming door mirror glass. Better than the £300+ Mercedes want for a new one though.
They can be replaced with just a heated glass if that's a viable option for you.

i bought a heated one for £10 but if one like yours comes up before tomorrow i would be tempted!!

Worth checking ebay occasionally, which is what I've been doing. Fit the heated one until one pops up. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom