Driveshafts New or Recon..??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hi paid for new driveshafts but when I got home and put the car on the ramps I got suspicious due to the overspray on the boots,paint colour and pitting . What do you guys think ?
33c7d28a686b11df312a8b64d5221717.jpg
concern me.
51c01adbfe5594b2f7a6c1b01067b901.jpg

What's your opinions ?
83b6cf083cd8fdeddb59bc5a18d05336.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think you have already answered your own question- where did you buy them ? Sometimes obselete or superceded parts are only supplied as reconditioned units but usually better presented than that.

Looking at this photo...:

51c01adbfe5594b2f7a6c1b01067b901.jpg

...I am thinking more of a new item, but of poor quality, and badly stored....?

A reconditioned part should look (almost) like new - and the metals parts would have been stripped/cleaned (and painted if applicable).

Otherwise... if all they did was clean, repack with grease, and fit a new boot.... then this is a second-hand part rather than a reconditioned one.

These were supposedly ordered from Mercedes as a new part. You can't get them as recon part from Mercedes.5-7 days from amg .I have an invoice from sandown Merc but I can't believe these are brand new from Germany.

I'm at the point now where I'll probably purchase another set myself from AMG for price of mind .crazy !!

c19b1faa2e8c9e12c15eb73ca4e57b89.jpg
16a8979c9cc89b4428aa8828d9867d20.jpg
c7473d64f2824eee0539dee6143ebfa0.jpg

df440baba0e335ce8a27ea2ea86f323f.jpg

Here's the so called invoice ..!

So who redacted the pricing? The dirt and swarf on those splines doesn't look even remotely new to me. And Merc never in all their puff released a part with paint runs all over the clips.

Do you agree they are recon? This is my point to DMS and RPL automotive who carried out the work.This is one of many issues I have with work last carried out on the car.There both not interested now they've been paid.
It will have to be order new ones then off to see the judge I'm afraid ..! :(

How did you pay ? via Card? can you open a case with your credit card people?

Do you agree they are recon? This is my point to DMS and RPL automotive who carried out the work.This is one of many issues I have with work last carried out on the car.There both not interested now they've been paid.

ECP were for years supplying recon shafts that were attributed (not by them BTW) to some country near India ;). Very poor workmanship and failing in no time. Not that that's what you have...allegedly.

As an Engineer, I'm not convinced that they are even reconned - maybe you've been conned but not these. I'm going through a very similar exercise just now with my Vito. I got a reconned diff off Ebay as it was whining/moaning and for sure I've landed lucky on the diff, you can see its totally reconned, painted professionally to boot too. Now, during my repairs I've needed half shafts and a new hub, as the bearing in the N/S hub has gone southbound.. so I ordered two new (reconned) half shafts and under no circumstances do mine look anything like the ones you have, for starters, the splines are absolutely mint, no rust or marks on them and fresh looking metal, the paint on the shaft is mint with no runs or marks on them and overall they look brand new. That's the way your should come. not what you've received. IF it was me, I'd be taking them back and asking for a refund, it looks very much substandard and even worse a poor showing if a dealership has supplied them.

That's correct this is an ongoing issue . I have a blown engine , damaged bodywork , damaged interior , engine parts removed . Just gathering information from all sources at the moment prior to taking the matter further. It's very disappointing to say the least.

I realistic about cars breaking down especially when you dabble with them but the list of poor workmanship from these people is large and when you provide a service you make sure it's done correctly ,simple.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom