Driveway Widening Letter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like that drain is not going to do a lot - water will flow passed your drive onto the next one it seems given the apparent decline of the road...

:rolleyes:

I agree that the drain will not be much use. I hope that the road does slope as the OP will end up with a stream running past the end of his drive (during heavy rain) rather than a pond at the end of it!

That drain will catch some water as the camber of the road looks enough to drain the water that way, but irrespective, the water won't collect at the end of the drive as the drain looks lower than the tarmac.

Why would the O/p be bothered about water flowing further down the road?

Talking of rain. When did it last rain, not for some while.

That drain will catch some water as the camber of the road looks enough to drain the water that way, but irrespective, the water won't collect at the end of the drive as the drain looks lower than the tarmac.

As I posted, it would be better to have the water flowing further down the road rather than ponding at the end of his drive. Without actually seeing the levels it is impossible to determine the outcome of heavy rain (photos can be very deceptive). A "pond" will freeze during cold weather and present a hazard.

Edit - as regards rain, last year we had one of the wettest Springs on record. People have short memories about the weather.....

Last edited:

Tell me about it!
We moved in on 16/1/13.
4800L rainwater harvesting tank feeding WC's & washing machine ran out after about 3 weeks. A few weeks on mains then it rained for a couple of days - tank refilled.
Tank running low again:mad:

Edit - as regards rain, last year we had one of the wettest Springs on record. People have short memories about the weather.....

WOW...I was thinking it had rained more recently than last spring...

Tell me about it!
We moved in on 16/1/13.
4800L rainwater harvesting tank feeding WC's & washing machine ran out after about 3 weeks. A few weeks on mains then it rained for a couple of days - tank refilled.
Tank running low again:mad:

I have a 650 litre butt ;), and a couple of weeks a go used that water to wash the car.
My hands went blue and really hurt as soon as I put them into it. It was much colder than tap water.

Don't panic, you are not having a "senior moment", it has rained more recently than last Spring ;)

I had worked that out, it was you that was struggling. ;)

Your attempts to put people down keep backfiring.

Last edited:

But you asked the question :confused:

Rain forecast for Surbiton tonight, so the OP should be able to test the effectiveness of his drain.

I had half a cm of rain in my wellies that I left out the other day, and is pouring down now.

As long as my car has not washed away by the time I get home tomorrow, I'll be happy :)

Late to the party here but anyway...

It's impossible to tell from the the photo's if the surface water on the main road will carry on past the drive, or pond infront of the gully grating. It's sometimes very hard to tell even standing infront of a property. There are two ways to find out, put up a string line and put a bead on it to check the longitudinal fall on the road, or the easier option, take your hose out and give your drive a good lashing with water.

If any water ponds on the road because of a lack of run and poor positioning of the gully, get on to them quick.

Maybe I missed it, but how much did they charge for that?

Corner stone was put in the funny place to hold the drain and kerb stones in place whilst they set ?!

LMAO, that is absolute tosh. What holds the edging in is the concrete haunch, and what holds the gully grating in is the mortar bed.

That's a good one.

What I don't understand is you showed surprise when they came and surfaced your neighbours access in addition to your own, so I was wondering if you ended up paying for both or if your neighbour had also asked the council to do his access.

I'd hate to think you paid for both because the council misunderstood the project.

I don't think I have paid for the whole project. I signed on the dotted line to have my side done.

At the end of the day, since they have done both sides, it has ended up looking great imo :)

I don't think I have paid for the whole project. I signed on the dotted line to have my side done.

At the end of the day, since they have done both sides, it has ended up looking great imo :)

And that's it, in a nutshell :thumb:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom