Driving a C63 fitted with Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mika

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes
Afternoon gentlemen

I have just had the following fitted to my C63

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme
235/35/19 on the Front
and
265/30/19 on the Rears
supplied by MY tyres and fitted locally

I have struggled in recent days on summer tyres albeit with 6mm of tread on the fronts ( 235/35/19 Conti 3 ) and rears with 2mm of tread on the rears ( 255/30/19 conti 3 )
I have covered 6735 miles
fuel consumption was, pre bad weather 19.6mpg on average and increasing to 22.5mpg in recent days due to much slower average speed in the main

I will report back on life with winter tyres on the beast in the following days and weeks
In the meantime i would welcome any comments re general advice, alternative tyres, driving style, experiences etc with "winters ON" as i know many of you have already fitted these

Initial impression - they look nice and grippy ! :thumb:

Last edited:
item on radio the other day suggested that some insurers no longer covered with winter tyres! Odd but true. So worth checking.

2mm on the rears and you wonder why you had some difficulties.....:D:D:D - semi slicks on snow hmmmmm :eek::eek::eek:

Afternoon gentlemen

I have just had the following fitted to my C63

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme
235/35/19 on the Front
and
265/30/19 on the Rears
supplied by MY tyres and fitted locally

I have struggled in recent days on summer tyres albeit with 6mm of tread on the fronts ( 235/35/19 Conti 3 ) and rears with 2mm of tread on the rears ( 255/30/19 conti 3 )
I have covered 6735 miles
fuel consumption was, pre bad weather 19.6mpg on average and increasing to 22.5mpg in recent days due to much slower average speed in the main

I will report back on life with winter tyres on the beast in the following days and weeks
In the meantime i would welcome any comments re alternative tyres, driving style, experiences etc with "winters ON" as i know many of you have already fitted these

Initial impression - they look nice and grippy ! :thumb:
We have Vredestiens on our X5 and on the whole they seem very impressive although I have never driven on any other winter tyres. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that lateral grip is far less than grip when accelerating and braking and initially it caught me out.
In the X5 I can accelerate and brake as hard as I like and the grip is like being on loose gravel.
I tend to treat cornering as if I were on summer tyres.

2mm on the rears and you wonder why you had some difficulties.....:D:D:D - semi slicks on snow hmmmmm :eek::eek::eek:

you're absolutely right
i ll try and put up some pictures up of the rears that have just come off they are very smooth
my c63 is my day car so i have had to struggle on until the winters arrived as you may be aware they are out of stock everywhere
its a hard life....;)

Last edited:
Absolutely the right attitude to have.

................... as you sit in the middle of a field looking back at the hole you have ploughed in the hedge..................

................... as you sit in the middle of a field looking back at the hole you have ploughed in the hedge..................

I think you got the wrong end of the stick :eek:

We mean drive gingerly and don't assume you have loads of grip on winter tyres..

We mean drive gingerly and don't assume you have loads of grip on winter tyres..

damn im in the field - now you tell me !! :crazy:

Last edited:
this is one of the rears that i have just replaced

conti 3 255/30/19

6700 miles...

Last edited:
We have Vredestiens on our X5 and on the whole they seem very impressive although I have never driven on any other winter tyres. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that lateral grip is far less than grip when accelerating and braking and initially it caught me out.
In the X5 I can accelerate and brake as hard as I like and the grip is like being on loose gravel.
I tend to treat cornering as if I were on summer tyres.

That sounds rubbish , ive got Dunlop M3 winter sports and they have so much grip its literally :eek: I'm really surprised with the Vredestiens.

That looks fine - I'll take 'em! :D

the fronts still look like new:cool: (- and will go back on in the spring)
i think this may be the norm
...... for the beast that is the C63:eek:

I've just read that article and I'm still not convinced. SMMT and the ABI don't look as if they carry much weight when you delve a little deeper into what they can, or cannot, do if the consumer has issues/complaints with a member of either. Being a lawyer you should know that the article you've linked to above hardly constitutes as a legal statement of fact in a consumer's insurance policy particularly as it's written on behalf of the Motor Trade rather than that of the Insurance Industry. I'll get this clarified, in writing, tomorrow with my own insurers.

Sorry to the OP for taking the thread off topic.

I've just read that article and I'm still not convinced. SMMT and the ABI don't look as if they carry much weight when you delve a little deeper into what they can, or cannot, do if the consumer has issues/complaints with a member of either. Being a lawyer you should know that the article you've linked to above hardly constitutes as a legal statement of fact in a consumer's insurance policy particularly as it's written on behalf of the Motor Trade rather than that of the Insurance Industry. I'll get this clarified, in writing, tomorrow with my own insurers.

Sorry to the OP for taking the thread off topic.

I think it falls nicely under "general advice" look forward to your findings:thumb:

6700 miles only!!! God in heaven, that's ridiculous!! If I don't get 15,000 plus, I get annoyed! :D

6700 miles only!!! God in heaven, that's ridiculous!! If I don't get 15,000 plus, I get annoyed! :D

How much power do you have going to your rear wheels? My car, not being ragged, gives me 12-15k depending on tyre make. So a C63 being driven even semi enthusiastically will get far less.

Oops used the C word. :D

How could you?!! ^^^ :D

So, C63 not a cheap car to own then? :D:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom