Driving a C63 fitted with Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme
235/35/19 Front
265/30/19 Rears

Temperatures this afternoon were -4 degrees C
with snow , just a covering , maybe one inch and ice ...

I pulled away comfortably while other cars were achieving wheelspin
I then accelerated and there was no interference from the ESP, further to that I experimented by accelerating probably too agressively for the conditions and still no loss of grip nor ESP flashing
Quite a contrast to my well worn summer tyres previously and considerably better than i had expected
The effect of Winter tyres is quite dramatic, only thing left to try is deeper snow and looking at the forecast that could be quite soon:thumb:

235/35/19 Front
265/30/19 Rears

The effect of Winter tyres is quite dramatic, only thing left to try is deeper snow and looking at the forecast that could be quite soon:thumb:

Don't make the same mistake as me, all my neighbours would clear the snow from their driveways, only because they could not drive in and out of them with their summer tyres on.

With the Vredesteins, I had no such problem so didn't bother. Driving in and out of the snow every day compressed it and the freezing temperatures turned it to ice.

Still no problem getting in and out though until one day after a long run I parked it for the night. The tyres must have been warm because it was stuck in the morning due to the warm tyres melting the ice under them and settling on the driveway about 3 or 4 inches under the ice. The only time I've needed a shove to get started since fitting winter tyres. :doh:

Russ

Thanks for this thread and the information therein - very useful.

235/35/19 Front
265/30/19 Rears

Afternoon Gents well the snow came , and lots of it .
Temperature 2 degrees C.
Driving in 3-4 inches of fresh snow on treated but lightly used roads was relatively straightforward, again no ESP light flashing and a slight incline at times, at a point where i saw another driver lose control and clout a kerb i was able to continue normally
I have to admit to driving quite slowly and being a bit of a non-believer re Winter tyres but....they work:thumb:

Great thread, thanks Mika. I think I'll be looking at a set of these next winter when I've got my 63.

Afternoon gentlemen

I have just had the following fitted to my C63

265/30/19 on the Rears

Thanks for a great thread!

I had assumed that the 265 was a typo, but I guess its not.. Did you get a new set of rims with these tyres as well. Sorry if this has already been answered in the thread and I have missed it..

Had enough of sliding around in my C63 and the rears are shot anyway (approx 5000 miles). So I am deciding wether to go for new 'normals' or take the plunge and get some winters on!

Thanks for a great thread!

I had assumed that the 265 was a typo, but I guess its not.. Did you get a new set of rims with these tyres as well. Sorry if this has already been answered in the thread and I have missed it..

Had enough of sliding around in my C63 and the rears are shot anyway (approx 5000 miles). So I am deciding wether to go for new 'normals' or take the plunge and get some winters on!

Hi Mike

265/30/19 is an acceptable alternative to 255/30/19 it falls within the same parameters (apparently) and is recommended by Palmball (on another thread) - who knows his stuff
I went for 265 as there is more choice in winter tyres although i accept its wider and hence less ideal in the snow
Get some winters you can always use them next year
Ive used same rims so its less expensive , the problem with alternative rims is they need to have a large offset due to the huge brakes and i didnt fancy dropping back to the standard 18"
the tyres are £750 for all four fitted
Ive just been out at lunchtime on snow ...no problems at all
thanks for your comments

Mike welcome ....and whats the spec of your C63 ?
another C63 hooray !
:thumb:

Last edited:
Great thread, thanks Mika. I think I'll be looking at a set of these next winter when I've got my 63.

Hi Beninlux

when you come over to the bluewater meetings dont forget to look left at J11 of M20;)

Mika,

When you go back to non-winter tryes if you stick with Continental suggest you got for CS5 not 3. I bought 3's and then read up on the 5's - supposed to last longer.

K

Hi Kamal
ive just taken my winters off and put conti 5's on the rears
thanks

:thumb:

I know it only June but dont want to get stuck like I did last winter with my summer tyres and unable to get winters. Where did you guys get your Vredestein winters. Can find the 255/45/18's for the front but 275/45/18's for rear seem a bit harder to find. Want to get them b4 next winter, so seems good idea to look now. All help welcome, I am in north east kent .

I e-mailed Vredestein last week asking when these tyres would be available, no reply though.

Russ

Cheers. Can you let me know if you get a reply.

I know it only June but dont want to get stuck like I did last winter with my summer tyres and unable to get winters. Where did you guys get your Vredestein winters. Can find the 255/45/18's for the front but 275/45/18's for rear seem a bit harder to find. Want to get them b4 next winter, so seems good idea to look now. All help welcome, I am in north east kent .
The reason why you're struggling to get winter tyres in that size is that they're rare. You should be fitting slimmer tyres for winter use and those sizes are much more popular. Check your car's handbook for more info! :)

The reason why you're struggling to get winter tyres in that size is that they're rare. You should be fitting slimmer tyres for winter use and those sizes are much more popular. Check your car's handbook for more info! :)

I'm looking for 225's, still none available in that size since last year. I had to run my Vredestein's all winter even though they were below the 4mm limit for winter tyres. Once below 3mm they are almost as interesting as summer tyres in the snow. :)

Russ

I'm looking for 225's, still none available in that size since last year. I had to run my Vredestein's all winter even though they were below the 4mm limit for winter tyres. Once below 3mm they are almost as interesting as summer tyres in the snow. :)
So 225/40/18? None on mytres... Might have to wait another month or two for the stock to be ready for winter?

Trouble is been told 255's dont fit on back wheels as they are 9.5 wide as opposed to 8.5 on front. Could get some standard 17 inch merc wheels and stick skinny 225 winter tyres on. Starting to get expensive now.

Trouble is been told 255's dont fit on back wheels as they are 9.5 wide as opposed to 8.5 on front. Could get some standard 17 inch merc wheels and stick skinny 225 winter tyres on. Starting to get expensive now.

I managed to get an unused set of 17" genuine MB wheels on E-Bay for only £300, took a lot of searching over a few months, but they do come up now & again. It is a lot easier just swapping wheels twice a year and not tyres.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom