Driving after a Stroke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
I have had what's called a TIA (transient ischaemic attack)came on as I was sat watching the 6 o clock news, bingo, leg dead/ numbness, etc.
I am not allowed to drive my car for 1 month, and have to let my insurance people know, I am fully recovered now so feel very lucky.
My question is, what's the best way to go about not getting ripped off with the insurance people, when declaring an illness, any advice!!

Can offer advice on your predicament Brian but I'm really pleased you have recovered.

Take it easy my man.

Ant.

Brian

Great to hear that you have recovered.

I would suggest that you tread carefully before contacting any Insurers. Once you have discussed your situation it cannot be "un-discussed". It goes on a record that is circulated and accessible to all insurers.

Firstly, try and get a GP to give you a full, clean bill of health in writing stating (if possible) that there is no likely chance of a repeat. That is vital. Without this? Then I believe that there is a set procedure that Insurers must follow. I also believe that your GP is duty bound to report you to the DVLA if he/she believes that this could affect your driving.

You may have no choice but to go along with what is already in motion. Apologies if this is not the case. I have no desire to cause any stress here.

I have had what's called a TIA (transient ischaemic attack)came on as I was sat watching the 6 o clock news, bingo, leg dead/ numbness, etc.
I am not allowed to drive my car for 1 month, and have to let my insurance people know, I am fully recovered now so feel very lucky.
My question is, what's the best way to go about not getting ripped off with the insurance people, when declaring an illness, any advice!!

Just had a stroke myself Brian, 10 days ago whilst holidaying in Scotland.
It was an Ischemic and I was kept overnight in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.Wife had to drive us the 240 miles home and tell the Insurance Co. (LV )
They simply noted facts and suggested that I should see my G.P. before I drive again.
Feeling in right arm and hand almost back to normal and I`ve typed this out myself!
Good luck with your recovery.
Regards
John

With most illnesses you get a warning John, but strokes just happen, am pleased like me you came out ok, I am now on a new blood thinning drug called Eliquis apixaban, it's better than warfarin as it doesn't need monitoring.

Best wishes to both of you and hope you are driving again soon. It is scary what happens to us as we age and usually when we least expect it. With me it was my heart, discovered on a routine examination Triple bypass within 3 weeks or I would have been pushing up daisies. The surgeon said, "We have given you another 20 years". That was in 2003 so I am marking off the months on the calendar....

With most illnesses you get a warning John, but strokes just happen, am pleased like me you came out ok, I am now on a new blood thinning drug called Eliquis apixaban, it's better than warfarin as it doesn't need monitori ng.

My Blood thinning agent is Dabigatran Brian.Sounds similar to yours as no monitoring is necessary. I drive to and from Spain twice each year and so Warfarin would not be appropriate.
You are so right.No warning whatsoever.One moment I`m drinking coffee and the next my arm wont move!
Onwards and upwards as they say.

Regards

John

Best wishes to both of you and hope you are driving again soon. It is scary what happens to us as we age and usually when we least expect it. With me it was my heart, discovered on a routine examination Triple bypass within 3 weeks or I would have been pushing up daisies. The surgeon said, "We have given you another 20 years". That was in 2003 so I am marking off the months on the calendar....

Thanks J.
I was playing squash three times a week 20 years aged at aged 50 when my Annual Check identified a heart problem I had had since birth. I think that we are both lucky and eternally grateful.
Best wishes,
Regards

John

Brian i know how you feel about DVLA but they must be told of your condition also insurance company. But this is if you have an illness ,i dont know if your problem is classed as illness or not.I would do some googling on it .My friends wife had to give her licence up after her stroke. With my illness i had to let DVLA know and fill in a form with all information about my doctors address and so on , so they could contact him and my consultants address . My insurance were told and as far as i can see made no change to it. And realy glad your getting over it now.

I will have a talk to my GP first as Bruce said above and take it from there, thanks for your post OP

I am hoping the new drug will prevent me from having another Tia, it stops the blood from clotting, thanks for your help Rayny much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom