Driving after hip replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
Following an accident I had a total Right hip replacement 4 1/2 weeks ago I m ambulant without sticks ( unless its a long walk ) and have been discharged from consultant / hospital to my GP on wednesday from what i can ascertain ( i'm insured with AVIVA multi car ) then I can drive ;

Can I drive after an operation?​

As long as the doctor has given you the all clear and you feel OK to drive, then it's absolutely fine. You don't need to provide proof and we don't need to note anything on your policy, unless it's a medical condition that you've notified the DVLA about.
"
searching on the web 6 weeks seems a norm for returning to driving so do i now have to book an appointment with my GP for him to give me the all clear
it appears some companies are happy after 6 weeks as long as you can perform an emergency stop
I ve driven my cars on the drive and can do an emergency stop i've not been on any painkillers for 2 weeks plus now so my reaction times are normal
anyone any experience of jumping through the relvant hoops
tried to contact aviva but it just drops the call and refers me to the chatbot which says as above
I'm ready to drive now and have a nice comfy high seated vito which is like sitting in my hospital issued ortho chair so no low seated 90 degree issues to worry about

I drove as soon as I felt safe and ready. As long as the consultant hasn’t told you not to, crack on. There are no hoops.

I had a couple of Hernia operations, and was told at the time by the surgeon that I could drive as soon as I feel that I can make an emergency stop. There was no specific time limit. I am with Aviva as well, but I did not contact them. My position is that the doctor gave me the 'all clear' in advance by specifying the conditions under which I can resume driving.

Disclaimer: this is not legal advice, I am just describing how I chose to deal with a similar situation.

I asked about driving when I was discharged by the fracture clinic doc and he said we recommend 6-8 weeks so not a no but not a yes either ,..........leaving me where ?

I asked about driving when I was discharged by the fracture clinic doc and he said we recommend 6-8 weeks so not a no but not a yes either ,..........leaving me where ?
A passenger for 8 weeks? Of course there is nothing stopping you from driving whenever you think fit but if the worst should happen?
Bottom line, you must feel confident you can deal with any situation that may crop up during your drive. I think I would "practice" (on the driveway, in my lounge) using my leg and see how it all goes?

Hi, a friend of mine broke his ankle 3 months ago and the consultant told him not to even considering driving for 12 weeks from last week.

Could your body apply maximum braking if you required an emergency stop situation !

When you feel you can drive why don't you go for a drive early in the morning to see how you feel.

Following an accident I had a total Right hip replacement 4 1/2 weeks ago I m ambulant without sticks ( unless its a long walk ) and have been discharged from consultant / hospital to my GP on wednesday from what i can ascertain ( i'm insured with AVIVA multi car ) then I can drive...

If you want to be pedantic about it, then wait another week and a half and then drive (assuming you feel you can). This would be spot-on in-line with the medical advice you received.

Hi, a friend of mine broke his ankle 3 months ago and the consultant told him not to even considering driving for 12 weeks from last week.

Could your body apply maximum braking if you required an emergency stop situation !

When you feel you can drive why don't you go for a drive early in the morning to see how you feel.
Which ankle did he break?

I have moved all my cars around on the drive i can definitely exert an emergency stop so no worries there tempted to book an appointment with my Doc next week see if i can get him to say yes drive or i just drive as lng as i dont have an accident where its deemed to be an issue should be OK

I have moved all my cars around on the drive i can definitely exert an emergency stop so no worries there tempted to book an appointment with my Doc next week see if i can get him to say yes drive or i just drive as lng as i dont have an accident where its deemed to be an issue should be OK
Hi , excellent and hope you continue to get better.

Health is the most important.

Well as long as you feel ok about braking then I can see no reason not to drive,as long as you have no heavy pain killers in your diet,go for it,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom