Driving along in my automobile, my baby beside at me the wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
When all of a sudden, we start to feel decidedly sea sick. This is on our Pajero.

The truck is now rocking & rolling down the road and feels like we are about to part company with a wheel. An alarming rocking that had the whole truck rocking from side to side. I stop and have a look at the wheels with no obvious loose bolts or breakages and all tyres look round.

I call into my friendly local tyre shop, who actually see the truck wobbling as we pull in. An inspection on the ramp reveals that the O/S rear tyre is now shaped like a melon and the front O/S is not much better. Four new tyres on order..

My friend says that he thinks that the car sitting in the snow for a week may have caused the compound to fail between tread and carcass (no they are not re-moulds). He also pointed out that the tyres were manufactured in 2008, so were past their sell by date anyways.

Stay safe folks.
5a459e0ba9c5736d5323fce812d28cdd.jpg

Can imagine the way you (I) feel...

Bruce when will your unlucky streak end!!

I am always telling my dearest when they moan about their latest issue/mishap there is always someone worse off, from now on I will simply quote you [emoji32][emoji47]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

At least you ended up with a particular place to go, tyre shop and now I've got that bloody song in my head. Thanks.

I know exactly how it feels and it’s one of my worst motoring experiences.
I was driving my future wife in my future mothers in law Renault 4 when all of a sudden the rear of R4 started dancing all over the road, left and right. I genuinly thought that the car is going to split in half or it will roll over. I don’t think I’ve ever been so afraid for Mrs and my life. Somehow I’ve managed to bring it to a halt at the side of the road and after we calmed down I saw that the NS rear tyre had a bulge of a size of my fist and I don’t have small hands. The tyre was originaly fitted in 1984 by Renault factory and this happened in 1995.
Ever since I always keep the record of production date of fitted tyres and change them on their 5th anniversary.
Current set is built in week 32/2017.

Oh...my...goodness! Can someone please tell me how I can find out when my tyres were manufactured? What with running two cars for the past five years, turn and turn about, I'd like to check when the little Green Meanie's tyres were made.

Oh...my...goodness! Can someone please tell me how I can find out when my tyres were manufactured? What with running two cars for the past five years, turn and turn about, I'd like to check when the little Green Meanie's tyres were made.
I shouldn't worry Lisa these things only ever happen to Bruce [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lisa

Look on the sidewalls, there should be a 4 digit number in a window, if, for example it has the numbers 1015 then the tyre was manufactured in week 10 2015 etc, if you have a 3 digit number then I believe this points to a tyre manufactured prior to 2000 and if so should certainly be replaced.

David

Ridin’ along in my calaboose
A wheel rolled by, it had come loose
Some poor soul was now on three
So very pleased it wasn’t me
Then a tilt, a scrape, “Oh no!”
With no particulars and a place to go.

A true story from my yoof when a rear wheel sheered of my car and I saw it rolling by just before discovering it was mine.

And me likewise Bruce ..
I sold a 1965 Sunbeam Rapier some years back to a friend .He drove me mad to get it .
I said to him, Ron you not only bought the car, but the chauffer, and mechanic Any work on the car it was me that did it ..Each time we went out fishing I was asked to drive it for him.
Every Monday we had to take the tote cash in to our fishing club .
Ron and me driving up through the main street to the location of the club.
I just remember this sort of wobble .Next thing I see through the passengers window was the rear wheel of the car just overtaking us and passing by .
My words to Ron was ,that's your rear wheel ,.He said no way .I said it is . So as I slowed down , it lurched over on the back left side rear .Well the wheel , it hit the curb stone on the road going off to out left . It hit it with a force, that sent it going through the air like a missile . And I don't know how it missed going through the upstairs window of the house on the corner of the road. Eventually falling down to earth but before it did it landed on a parked car .Luck was the car was left there by its owner,, no longer in use,, and waiting for the scrap yard . We stopped and I put the jack in to the jacking point in the rear of the chassis to put the wheel back in place . So we both could get to the club. I removed a nut from each wheel .Only damage was 1/4 inch of the thread on the rear leaf spring u bolt was missing . Ron had been playing in his pit with the left wheel off .His mother called him for his tea . Later he put the wheel on with the bolts loose . Then the next night he just replaced the hub cap back on and did not locking up the wheel nuts. ..So now every few months I check mine out .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom