Driving Holidays Abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
I am going to the French Alps in mid-June and I was wondering if anyone else was going abroad for a driving holiday this year.

I know Paul is going to the south of France, anyone else?:cool: :cool:

any more of that and ill make sure you get stopped at the border by the passport control :p

Probably will Brian, take a motor over to Spain sometime but don't know when yet, which car or what route.

Wouldn't mind the Ferry to Spain and then driving back through France - or even vice-versa, depending on when we go.

Would like to avoid the annual race and jams through France that take place at either end of August...

Everything tends to be last minute at our house. :)

Have a good trip - got a route planned or are you freewheeling?

Originally posted by Guy

Have a good trip - got a route planned or are you freewheeling?

All booked- Two days at a Hotel south of Reims
Seven days at a Hotel near Chamonix - French Alps
Two days at a Hotel near Laon

Via tunnel both ways.

All routes done on Autoroute.:cool: :cool: :cool:

With us being last minute, its all freewheeling, mobile phone pigeon french stuff.

Great fun though, ended up staying in some very strange and some very wonderful places.

PS - Have you tried adjusting your Xenons yet?

We drove to Hungary this year, and done the same last year. Goings fun, but coming back is a bit of a drag, you just want to get home!

I would do it again, but it would have to be in a different car, just for the fun of it! :) See the road kills/rage section for the videos of my trip!

When i bought my C240 in 2001 we drove across europe in it.

Started in glasgow , down to colechester , then hoek of holland. Koln and then down to stuttgart followed by zurich and then onto stuttgart again and to dusseldorf and back up via hoek van holland. 2500 miles on the new car:D

Last year we hired a Caddy Deville and apart from people thinking we were pimps we drove across New york state to Boston. we did about 3000 miles then too.:D

This year we are doing the whole america thing again only less miles and more west palm beach :D

I'm driving down to Croatia and back in my 12 year old W124.

I'm hoping to travel pretty far south - not quite as far as Macedonia, I guess I'll just keep heading south till the sand turns white :D

I dont forsee any problems being that i've done it once before (one way) on a little 250cc dirt bike - without a break. :eek: poor little bike, she was running like clockwork when I set off but over a thousand miles red lining meant that I arrived in a cloud of blue smoke.

The bikes still running & I still use it every summer - mainly for chasing bears in the mountain forests :p

Heh heh heh everythings sooo cheap down that kneck of the woods - dunno why ;)

Fascinated as to what you do with the bears when you catch them Sp!ke, does it involve wellies?

Bob

Originally posted by Guy

PS - Have you tried adjusting your Xenons yet?

Not yet but it looks simple enough, two turn keys and thats it mate.;) ;)

Better than all that masking off in the other cars I've had.:crazy:

Fascinated as to what you do with the bears when you catch them Sp!ke, does it involve wellies?

err............ I'm not so sure I know what you mean about the wellies :(

Never caught one yet I just know that they run faster up hill than they do down. I guess if I did catch up with one, it'll be the same sort of scenario as the day when my cat caught a squirrel. Sudden halt as realisation sets in that the rodent like head peaking round the corner wasn't in fact the head of a mouse and then a very, very slow almost stagnant retreat from both sides. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, my father in-law insists I carry a handgun when going in the woods for fear of bumping into a mother and her cubs - Only then could you really be in danger.

Spike, you need to go to Wales to learn about wellies ;) If you are going to carry a handgun against a bear make it a serious one, at least a .357. Even then, rather you than me. Take a 12 bore, that would work!

They're only Brown bears out there, not big grizzly's. I thing a few shots in the air would have the required effect.

Actually I have heard that they have been using Slovenian Brown Bears to re-introduce them into the French habitat much to the anger of the French farmers who had long since hunted them into extinction.

Hey Spike, mummy brown bears will still give you a very nasty suck if they think their babies are threatened. I heard the same about the reintroduction of bears to France. They are trying with wolves also with the same reaction from the farmers. Vultures have been reintroduced successfully though.
The hunting lobby is very strong here and come October it is like the beginning of a war with every field full of camo clad people killing most things that move.

For the last couple of years I've driven down to Italy, the first time through Germany, Switzerland then to Venice, Rome and back up to the South of France, and last time we went down to Florence, Elba then Naples and Sorrento. Great fun touring around staying a few nights in each place.

No plans yet for this year, although I'd like to take this car touring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom