Driving in E or S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
My w202 has Sports mode and Economy modes (which I bet all have).

Sports is great for overtaking etc, is this just a fuel increase or is the Bhp etc increased?

Sports and Economy is now called Winter and Summer mode. It does not alter the engine in any way it just changes the way the gearbox changes gear. In Summer/Sport mode it will allow the engine to rev higher before changing up a gear and will also change down a gear more readily.

Winter/Economy mode changes up through the gears sooner at lower engine revs, full kickdown overrides this. The idea is that you are using less of the engine revs/power so you get less wheelspin/fuel usage.

With the later Winter/Summer modes everybody that I know just leaves it in Summer mode. Some here have tried leaving it in Winter mode to improve fuel economy but on the smaller engined cars it makes them feel very sllllooooooowwwwwwww and sluggish.

HTH.

I'm about to do a test in the next few days.

Up to now I've always ran it in E mode with the A/C off. With this I'm getting a very consistent 23.33 mpg on an E280 estate.

On my next fill up - I will run the car in S mode and with the A/C permanently on - to see what impact this has.

So watch this space (circa 2 weeks time or so ish).

Originally posted by Kinky
I'm about to do a test in the next few days.

Up to now I've always ran it in E mode with the A/C off. With this I'm getting a very consistent 23.33 mpg on an E280 estate.

On my next fill up - I will run the car in S mode and with the A/C permanently on - to see what impact this has.

So watch this space (circa 2 weeks time or so ish).

It's only a fair comparison if the weather is similar mate. Overworking of the air-con in this latest heat will affect your mpg.:) :)

Not being pickey , but i think you will find that its standard and economy modes

I always leave mine in S on all the cars ive had

Originally posted by fuzzer
Not being pickey , but i think you will find that its standard and economy modes

I always leave mine in S on all the cars ive had

Dunno, but mine seems like ive got a new engine in S.

Cheers for replies though

I have found that on my E320 I get about on average 25-27mpg in S mode. I get about 30-32 mpg on average (mainly motorway) in W mode. I think it would be different on a 4 cycl car. Oh how do you turn of the air con as I havent read all the book yet. Am I right in think as soon as the dial hits the blue zone then thats a/c?

Cheers
Ian

Originally posted by rirhill
I have found that on my E320 I get about on average 25-27mpg in S mode. I get about 30-32 mpg on average (mainly motorway) in W mode. I think it would be different on a 4 cycl car. Oh how do you turn of the air con as I havent read all the book yet. Am I right in think as soon as the dial hits the blue zone then thats a/c?

Cheers
Ian

AC is on always unless you have the fan speed less than 1 or you have the EC (economy) button on.

Only time I've used the Winter mode is in the snow to stop it wheel spinning so much.

I might try it though just to see what it drives like and if it improves the mpg.

fuzzer - Not being pickey , but i think you will find that its standard and economy modes

You are right.

My old man is one of the DaimlerChrysler service manager for passenger cars out in Oz presiding over all the dealers in one of the states. He told me that a lot of salesmen got their asses kicked by MB HQ for selling them as Economy and Sport, when they are actually Economy and Standard.

:)

Am I the odd one out here? I prefer to drive in 'W' mode. The V6 sounds much nicer when pulling away from standstill, I get better MPG, and (most important) the car doesn't run backwards on hills (ie you don't need to use the brakes at traffic lights, hill starts etc. You know what I mean.
and I don't feel a massive performance drop just because the car pulls away in second gear (a feature of 'W' mode).

Paul

I drove my normal 30 off mile jouney home from work tonight with the car in 'W' just to try it and no difference to the mpg I got at all, although the car felt noticably more sluggish (and I drove it pretty carefully).

When i have a car full of people ( usually lovely ladies) i stick it into W to make it smooth . But , normally i just leave it in S.

lol :bannana: :bannana: :p

The V6 sounds much nicer when pulling away from standstill, I get better MPG,

Paul
Do you find that in S mode the gear changes are more brash and changes gear more often too.Its a lot smoother in W mode?

Cheers
Ian

In my handbook it says you shouldn't switch mode (W/S) while driving. Does anyone know why?

Oops, I was doing that this morning!

I also tested out the hill start Paul mentioned, does seem better in W and doesn't crawl in traffic so much.

with my clk230k i use the W mode,in this the car pulls away in 2nd gear.i prefer the lower revs/long-legged feel.on s(summer)the car changes up to 2nd allmost straight away anyway.W is supposed to aid pulling away in snow/slush etc.

Yes....
In 'S' mode my car changes from first to second almost immediately - I find this irritating - the first-to-second change is the the only one that can really be 'felt' whilst driving. The same thing applies when slowing right down to a standstill - when in 'S' you can 'feel' the car change down into first.
In 'W' - the 'box ignores first gear (unless you use kickdown) - the car definately has a 'longer legged feel', and still has plenty of power for pulling away.
Give me 'W' any day............but I might feel different with a smaller engine.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom