Driving in Europe - experience share

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilsonuk

Car
ML320 cdi / AM Vantage / Jaguar XJ / formerly SL350 and E320cdi
Hi all,

Driving to Germany through France (eurotunnel) Belgium and Holland, looking forward to the Autobahns!

Any helpful tips from those of you with European experience, stuff they can't publish in the guides like what speeds can you really get away with on major roads in the countries I am going through without catching the gaze of the lawfor example?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

The French used to be quite liberal with their speed limits and also drink driving. But in more recent years they've taken the issue more seriously, so I wouldn't push the speed limit too hard and of course not at all the drink driving.

A rule of thumb that makes sense which ever country you're in, is not to be the fastest person on your section of motorway. That rule does fall to pieces if you happen to be following an unmarked police car!

No cruise control on Belgian motorways. Watch the speed - they are much tougher than they used to be. Alcohol limit lower than uk. Parts of Germany insist on winter tyres - if you are involved in an accident without them they can be very unpleasant. They do not tolerate the British habit of middle lane hogging. Enjoy!

no cruise in belgium ? really ? how would they know ?
I have no idea. Apparently it was banned after a number of accidents where drivers fell asleep with it switched on. Not sure if it applies on all motorways but around Brussels it does.

France,Specially Belgium,Holland watch your speed they can be very picky we can say.Wait for autobahns and of you go.Germans don't like when you don't stick to right side when road empty.Obviesouly when you fly 150 plus use the fast lane lol.... You can be still overtaken :)

The French used to be quite liberal with their speed limits and also drink driving. But in more recent years they've taken the issue more seriously, so I wouldn't push the speed limit too hard and of course not at all the drink driving.

As above. No point pushing it but as the speed limit can be as high as 80mph (130kph) on some roads, what's the problem

No cruise control on Belgian motorways. !

Actually there is no cruise control allowed on roads where there are signs saying no cruise control allowed. There seems to be this myth that this is a blanket ban. There isn't

watch your speed in france ( 130 kph max!) and in germany its law to have winter tyres, I know I live here! watch out in holland and Belguim ( 120 kph) on the whole you should be ok! enjoy the german autobahn and dont be surprised how close they drive ( tailgate) oh one more thing........ the flashing of your headlights when someone is in front of you is illegal and costs about 150 -300 euros if caught! The germans think of it as an insult! just use your common sense and you´ll be ok. Have a nice drive , one more thing Diesel is cheaper in Holland ( about 10 cent ) than in Germany, Belguim or France and Petrol is cheaper in Germany than anywhere else!
Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello

Apart from checking what you need to carry, bulbs, jackets, spare this and that...

SPEED limits they are more and more cameras, probably 10 years ago...you get off the ferry and once into France a little it was a bit of a free for all on some empty motorways....

Not any more, lots more cameras everytime we go and you stick out 'bobing' on more and more. Too be honest generally the motorways are better and lane dispaline better so keeping 80mph is possible almost all the time so your actually getting places pretty quick.

Even in Germany its a bit of a myth that its speedlmit free, many many are not. Even those that are are two lanes ones generally so you batting on going past trucks and caravans and then Miss Daisy pulls out. When your well over 100mph things come up on you pretty quick....quite scarry.

Check your mirrors before pulling out several times, when you have cars doing 130 + one second nothing...next its along side you. If you get a chance obviously its good to have a go. My rule is generally wait for a local to go past quickly even better if two or more cars and get 'in' with them...

Also watch your fuel, it sounds daft but we have been stuck a handfull of times with a range of say 40miles and the next service station 80kilometes away...unlike in the uk they seem to be a long way between them. One time in Belgium I came off the motorway with 8miles on the trip to find a garage...ended up on 0 miles on the range and filling up at a truck stop !!! I must have been running on air...

Watch out in the wet / rain as the speed limits change also. In general though the roads are great.

Where about are you heading to?

Have a great trip.

Watch out at the Belgium/Germany border crossings.

Especially coming back on the Venlo/Eindhoven autobahn. There`s about half a mile at 70kms; with cameras.

I was warned, but still nearly got caught out.

A gold mine for the Belgies I was told. :thumb:

Driving in Europe is great fun. It's an experience I cannot wait to repeat. Another thing. Take care as they do drive on the other side of the road. Observation observation and more observation is needed

Hello

Where about are you heading to?

Great advice guys, and all much appreciated. I'm off the the PMR Expo in Cologne - always wanted to drive to Germany anyway and this is just a good excuse to be honest!

Thanks again all!! :thumb:

Driving in Europe is great fun. It's an experience I cannot wait to repeat. Another thing. Take care as they do drive on the other side of the road. Observation observation and more observation is needed

Of all the times abroad, both riding bikes and driving cars, any time I've had an issue with "forgetting" which side of the road to drive on, its been the long haul back from Dover to Scotland. After driving for a couple of weeks on the "wrong" side, it becomes second nature! :doh:

Nearly all of my Euro touring has been on two wheels rather than four, but I'm in agreement with the comments posted previously. The French are much more strict on speeding than they were the past. Have all your documents to hand too - I've been stopped twice in France by police at the roadside who were just pulling cars / bikes at random to check they were insured etc.

The derestricted sections on the Autobahns in Germany are great fun - my bike (Honda Blackbird) has a 'natural' cruising speed of about 130mph, but I tend to take a good long look in the mirror before pulling out for an overtake as there is always something going a lot faster than that. Fortunately, adding another 30 or 40mph on a big bike doesn't take very long....even at those speeds.

Mostly what has already been said. I would stick to the limit +10 kph (max) in France & Belgium as they are pretty hot now and with UK plates you stand out ...

Lane discipline already mentioned, in most countries lane hoggers are not popular and you will get tailgated & flashed (even if illegal) if you do it.

Hope you don't have a Laser or RADAR detector in your car - they are illegal in many countries (including France) even if switched off, and your car can be impounded if you're caught with one!

The autobahns are interesting ... you really have to pay attention as the speed limits go up and down all the time (unlike the UK where it's 70 everywhere unless the overhead gantries say otherwise). So watch the limit signs. The road surfaces vary enormously, some are pretty dire (much worse than any UK motorway).

Have fun!

Cologne is one of at least 32 German cities that operate a Low Emission Zone Badge system in City Centres and other named areas. The rule applies to ALL cards regardless of where they come from.
Costs can vary on this 4 colour badge system depending on the type of car. I think Berlin is the cheapest and UK visitors can get one on-line by scanning in the V5 details and payment details.
If a valid sticker is not displayed in the windscreen then a fine will be issued.
Just one one of those little European things that can sneak under the radar!!!
Do a seach on Low Emission Zones Germany for more info.

Steve B.

Cologne is one of at least 32 German cities that operate a Low Emission Zone Badge system in City Centres and other named areas. The rule applies to ALL cards regardless of where they come from.
Costs can vary on this 4 colour badge system depending on the type of car. I think Berlin is the cheapest and UK visitors can get one on-line by scanning in the V5 details and payment details.
If a valid sticker is not displayed in the windscreen then a fine will be issued.
Just one one of those little European things that can sneak under the radar!!!
Do a seach on Low Emission Zones Germany for more info.

Steve B.

I was in Berlin back in August in my old Alfa 145, and upon arriving at the campsite in the city centre, I asked where I could buy one of these stickers... the guy looked at me, laughed, and said "don't bother -no one else does!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom