Driving in Europe - headlight adjustment for W221?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
I'm driving my W221 in Continental Europe shortly and I was hoping NOT to have to use those silly Eurolite stick on deflectors for my headlights that block the headlight from dazzling oncoming vehicles.

For some reason I felt sure that there's a manual switch in the car or near the headlight to flick the beam across or partially block the light.

Well, I did RTFM and check out the car, and I can't see how to do it.

Do I need to put stickers over the headlight beam still, or is there a 21st century trick built into the car?

(The image below is a stock image and not my car)

Beam-Merc-Headlamp-Low-Res.jpg

The W221 will have the adjustment lever inside the headlamp unit, accessed from the rear, removing the black cap. Halogen lamps the lever is at the 6 o'clock position below the dipped beam lamp. With xenons, the lever is at the 8 o'clock position on the dipped beam mounting. Both looking from the rear.

Sounds great - but do I have to unbolt / remove the two headlight lamps to access the adjustment lever?

I can't see a lever to adjust on the driver's side unit, and the passenger side headlight is obscured by the washer liquid bottle.

I was hoping for something a bit....simpler.

One just has to remove the access caps on the rear of the headlamp units, as if one were to replace a bulb.

The easiest solution is to get your dealer to do it for you. Mine offered to do it FOC

The W221 will have the adjustment lever inside the headlamp unit, accessed from the rear, removing the black cap. Halogen lamps the lever is at the 6 o'clock position below the dipped beam lamp. With xenons, the lever is at the 8 o'clock position on the dipped beam mounting. Both looking from the rear.
Is that the same for a 2009 c63 estate?

Is that the same for a 2009 c63 estate?
Yes all models, except Model 204.0/2/3 with Intelligent Light System, which is adjusted via the cluster menu and those models fitted with halogen lamps, in which case they are adjusted by setting the headlamp range controller to position #1

Last two cars, S212 and W221 had adjustment via COMAND menu, before that (S211) needed the cover taking off the back of the headlight and moving the lever as already suggested - but you need very small, dexterous hands to access. I'd ask the dealer ;)

And another thing...
How do others get around the issue of carrying a set of spare bulbs when driving in Europe? Xenon and LED bulbs not easily replaceable, less accessible and harder to buy but technically illegal not to carry them :wallbash:

As Mercedes models will substitute another lamp for the failed lamp (e.g. rear fog lamp in place of a brake lamp) it shouldn't be a great issue.
Simply carry a generic bulb kit?

As Mercedes models will substitute another lamp for the failed lamp (e.g. rear fog lamp in place of a brake lamp) it shouldn't be a great issue.
Simply carry a generic bulb kit?
That's my solution, and hope I never get asked to change a bulb on the spot by some gendarme!

That's my solution, and hope I never get asked to change a bulb on the spot by some gendarme!

Tell the gendarme "je ne parle pas Français monsieur" and keep talking in English that he is the best officer you've ever met, responsable to his job, protecting the public by pulling you over and promise him you will never do it again. He will probably let you go (because he perfectly understands English).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom