Driving In Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graeme_m

Car
W221 S63 AMG
Just a thought...

Anyone using the Eurotunnel to go to France and concerned about the width of carriages and metal curbs (particularly with wide cars, nice alloys and low profile tyres) - book yourself in as a high (over 1.85m) vehicle. No extra charge and if you don't mind travelling with motorhomes etc., loads of extra width.

Eurotunnel also do a deal with SANEF, who operate the French motorway toll system, so that you can stick a transponder on your windscreen, not stop at any motorway tolls and have all toll fees debited to your card/bank account automatically. Really useful if your passenger has short arms (or you have no passenger):)

I hate Eurotunnel, the few times I have been there seemed to be a never ending stream of people walking up and down to use the toilets.

I live in Norfolk so quite a drive to Dover, I book a hotel the night before then it’s just a short drive to the ferry, priority loading and club lounge for me.

The ferry across is quite pleasant normally I have a breakfast, read the papers relax and feel refreshed for the next part of my journey.

Oh! And yes you have to be careful with the alloys on the tunnel.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only disadvantage of booking high car is sometimes limited availability. I moved to ferries after too many delays on Eurotunnel. Which reminds me, that I have to write complaint and money refund request for last 2h delays, ferry would be faster and cheaper ...

Never had any problems with Eurotunnel. The kerbs are pretty low. Much less prone to damage than the ferry in my opinion. I have used the Sanef tag for years. Works really well but should be replaced every 5 years or so - the battery runs down

I'm a fan of the tunnel, minimal queues, you can get an earlier crossing if you are ahead of schedule and can't say that I'm particularly bothered by people using the facilities, I choose not to but each to their own.

The ferries are usually very tired and always a bit grubby, at least with the tunnel I can stay in the car.

I wouldn’t travel any other way than via the tunnel after a horrid trip on the ferry years ago. We went to France earlier in the year and as always my wife tried to persuade me to use the ferry because it’s cheeper.

After checking she realised there was hardly any difference in price and 35 minutes crossing means you hit the road on the other side in no time.

I’ve only ever had a problem with the train once and as a consequence they gave me a partial refund. We were on a booze run and at the time and I only ended up paying £15 for a return trip!

The good thing about the Tunnel is that it saves time. when you enter the Tunnel area,you can get on the road on the other side in around an hour. There are some obstacles though;
1. They like to get you into the Shopping Area to spend some money.
2. It can take time to get through customs.
However you get to the Eurotunnel place several minutes before you get to Dover and when you get to the other side, once you leave the train, you are almost immediately on the Auroroute. In my view it saves at least two hours vs. The Ferry.
On the other hand when I have time I much prefer the Ferry, It really helps you translate frombeing in UK to being on holiday in another country. Plus I like to have a fish and chips.

Also check that booking two day returns (and only using 1 leg) isn't cheaper than booking a normal return. Usually saves a few quid!

Also check that booking two day returns (and only using 1 leg) isn't cheaper than booking a normal return. Usually saves a few quid!

Aren't Eurotunnel now running reconciliation checks on ticket usage so they can raise additional charges on the card used for purchase where they detect the above occurring?

High curbs in the standard carriages were a nightmare with the ML63 which has a particularly wide track. Just ended up booking the high ones instead which have a few inches extra and no issue. With my GLC with 19" wheels the standard carriages are no issue.

In case anyone suffers from delays in Eurotunnel, got voucher equivalent to the price I paid for crossing, 2h delay. However I requested cash refund. Do not plan to use tunnel except the ticket I already have and moved it to future date.

High curbs in the standard carriages were a nightmare with the ML63 which has a particularly wide track. Just ended up booking the high ones instead which have a few inches extra and no issue. With my GLC with 19" wheels the standard carriages are no issue.

High kerbs and the chicanes in every carriage made a bum clenching trip through the train in our Ml63 too. We also book as a high vehicle now too, a top tip. One thing to be mindful of though is if trains are cancelled then you can wait very long times for the next available high carriage - at Easter we sat waiting for something like five or six hours through the night!

The tunnel is quicker but I like the longer ferry crossing, I make it part of my holiday.

I always book club lounge and priority boarding it’s worth the extra expense.

The club lounge is normally a sea of tranquility in comparison to the rest of the ship.

If it was business trip then yes I may well use the tunnel.

Robin

We’ve used both. My wife has never been sick on the tunnel crossing.

HOWEVER!!!:oops:

Ive been on the tunnel quite a few times but haven't really found the width an issue. Avoiding hitting the kerb at french toll booths though, thats a different story. Mrs Lfckeeper usually ends up hanging out of the window to use them due to the nice bit of scratch damage I did to my wheels. Definitely be using the easy pass thing next time!

One thing to be mindful of though is if trains are cancelled then you can wait very long times for the next available high carriage - at Easter we sat waiting for something like five or six hours through the night!
Hadn't thought of that, but will definitely bear in mind in future.

Also, if you want to move SANEF tag to another vehicle, or have multiple tags (ie France and Portugal), get some heavy duty "velcro" like strips as used in America. One on the screen, one on the back of each transponder and not as obvious when not in use. Look for "Toll Tape 709 Replacement E-Z Pass Mounting Strip" on Amazon, Ebay etc, but watch out for international shipping charges (or buy a 6ft strip and share costs)

I understand that ordinary velcro will not survive the sunshine on an average windscreen, but this stuff should resist temperature up to 200 degrees.

Our Sanef tags can be removed from the mount, and you can order extra mounts.

Our Sanef tags can be removed from the mount, and you can order extra mounts.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom